News   Sep 06, 2024
 2.9K     3 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.9K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 663     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

We by and large never brought the force of law into it - fatigue or no fatigue, we just muddled through. Nevermind the pandemic - can you imagine winning wars with this kind of attitude (I guess thank heavens the Second World War didn't happen in our times eh?)

AoD

Not to get off topic but as one of my relatives said to me.. we would never win a world war right now. Those men and women were tough. If you got shot on the battlefield, you patched yourself up and moved on. You had a job to do and you did it without question.

Now everyone needs an accommodation or a safe space. With all the exemptions, legal cases and human rights concerns there is no way we would win any sort of global conflict let alone stop a pandemic.

This is a key issue in fighting this pandemic. Everyone has to have an accommodation or exemption because of their gender, orientation. health, age.. etc. I understand this is not the 1950s but if we are going to be successful in stopping global issues such as wars or pandemics there has to be some way around this.

Just because someone needs their "safe space" does not give them the right to endanger everyone else. Sometimes governments need to grow a pair and say f**k you in the interests of saving lives.

Not to get off topic but as one of my relatives said to me.. we would never win a world war right now. Those men and women were tough. If you got shot on the battlefield, you patched yourself up and moved on. You had a job to do and you did it without question.

Now everyone needs an accommodation or a safe space. With all the exemptions, legal cases and human rights concerns there is no way we would win any sort of global conflict let alone stop a pandemic.

This is a key issue in fighting this pandemic. Everyone has to have an accommodation or exemption because of their gender, orientation. health, age.. etc. I understand this is not the 1950s but if we are going to be successful in stopping global issues such as wars or pandemics there has to be some way around this.

Just because someone needs their "safe space" does not give them the right to endanger everyone else. Sometimes governments need to grow a pair and say f**k you in the interests of saving lives.

Faux human right concerns - those who are pushing the anti-vax, anti-lockdown narratives are more often than not the least open to collective action at the societal level dealing with other issues.

AoD

I took my mom to get her first shot on Monday at one of those local mass vaccination sites. It was very poorly organized, inefficient, and just a general shit show. I was so annoyed and frustrated by the experience. I suppose my expectations were far too high for any of Thug's or city hall's initiatives.

Avoid Mondays on any brand-new vaccination site, mostly within the first couple of hours. Everyone, especially the staff, will be confused as to where is anything. They may not even know where the washrooms are.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm gay, and all I've wanted (which has been achieved by and large, at least in Ontario) is to be treated equally. To suggest that asking for this is a weakness is ignorant. My husband was in the U.S. infantry and was tossed out because of his sexual orientation even though his career had been exemplary. He wasn't afraid: dumb white, straight men were. Diversity isn't a disadvantage.

Reactions: DSC

You're right, this isn't the 1950's. Throwing bodies in front of bullets isn't how wars are fought now.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm gay, and all I've wanted (which has been achieved by and large, at least in Ontario) is to be treated equally. To suggest that asking for this is a weakness is ignorant. My husband was in the U.S. infantry and was tossed out because of his sexual orientation even though his career had been exemplary. He wasn't afraid: dumb white, straight men were. Diversity isn't a disadvantage.

I'm not saying it is. But the kids that are raised now are nowhere near as tough as they were even when I was growing up in the 90s.

Cultural norms have changed and I know more than a few people who will stick up their nose because they think they will get away with it. Karens in a nutshell.

Aside from the fact munitions these days are fine tuned to do *a lot* more damage to the human body, there's a lot of unbridled nostalgia going on there. The realities of the past were far different. 20+ million soldiers died in WWII.

How're those older generations doing on things like homelessness, mental health, climate change and women's rights? Those "tough" older generations seem the least likely to roll up their sleeves when it comes to talking these global issues.

Respect and tolerance are the key to stopping global issues, not a hinderance.

I'm not saying it is. But the kids that are raised now are nowhere near as tough as they were even when I was growing up in the 90s.

Utter BS juvenoia. It's mob narcissism, not superiority.

Cultural norms have changed and I know more than a few people who will stick up their nose because they think they will get away with it. Karens in a nutshell.

These people have always existed. Selfishness isn't a new concept, it's just that since the '80s we've stopped stigmatizing enough it for it to make its way out into the sunlight.

There are a series of posts above that are not particular germane to the topic of this thread.

Could we please shift gears back to that topic?

There's some semblance of a political discussion to be had around the off topic posts, but it belongs somewhere else in my opinion.

I just booked a haircut for April 17th. Here's to hoping we don't end up at 5000+ cases a day before then.
Well, with hair cutting and tattooing starting in a week and Mr Ford re-opening here and there, I think 5000+ is quite likely in another week or so. This is NOT the time to be re-opening things or having hair cuts. If the Provincial government had any sense (yes, I should have known!) they would have kept things shut tight for 2-3 more weeks. Sad that the earlier closures were wasted and we are probably in for another longer & stricter one. Vaccines are certainly helping but still not enough supply and thus not enough getting into arms

Well, with hair cutting and tattooing starting in a week and Mr Ford re-opening here and there, I think 5000+ is quite likely in another week or so. This is NOT the time to be re-opening things or having hair cuts. If the Provincial government had any sense (yes, I should have known!) they would have kept things shut tight for 2-3 more weeks. Sad that the earlier closures were wasted and we are probably in for another longer & stricter one. Vaccines are certainly helping but still not enough supply and thus not enough getting into arms

I havent got cut since mid October. My bangs are so long they are starting to interfere with my vision no matter how I style it.

While I understand the need for closures there is a delicate balance between health related closures and salons going bankrupt.

You can't close everything forever if you want any semblance of an economy afterwards.

Back