News   Sep 06, 2024
 2.9K     3 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.9K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 657     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I wouldn't want to go to see a doctor or nurse in person, if that doctor or staff did not get a vaccine by now.

Thousands of staff at University Health Network still haven’t received their COVID vaccines, says CEO in leaked email

From link.

Thousands of staff members at Ontario’s largest hospital network are going to work unvaccinated, even though they’ve been offered the COVID-19 shot, the Star has learned.

It’s a situation that is “all the more worrisome as we see a third wave beginning and the rapid rise of variants,” said University Health Network (UHN) president and CEO Kevin Smith in a leaked email, adding these are factors “which make COVID-19 much more infectious and possibly more severe and deadly.”

His “special and heartfelt request for us all to be vaccinated” was sent to employees on Monday.

UHN spokesperson Gillian Howard added in an email to the Star that 85 per cent of staff that go into the hospital, have received at least one shot. That’s about 17,063 members of “team UHN” Smith said in his message, but there are about 4,000 people “who regularly work on-site — who are coming in to the hospital and have not protected themselves, their families, colleagues and patients — against this deadly disease.”

“While our overall rate of uptake is very good, there are areas and programs where vaccination remains below 50 per cent of people,” he wrote. “We must change this immediately.”

The Star reached out to a handful of other GTA hospitals to see how vaccine uptake among staff compares.

At North York General, about 92 per cent of practising physicians, and at least 67 per cent of all staff have been vaccinated, according to spokesperson Janine Hopkins. This is “likely a considerable underestimate” as it doesn’t include staff who were vaccinated at other sites. But “vaccine hesitancy is a significant concern and NYGH is working hard to get everyone to opt to get a vaccination,” she said in an email.

At Sunnybrook hospital, about 60 per cent of eligible staff have received the vaccine so far, said spokesperson Sybil Millar in an email. That includes about 87 per cent of physicians, but there’s no detailed breakdown yet for other professions, such as nursing.

In his message, UHN’s Smith thanked those who had received the vaccine, provided a link to registration, and said he’s “worried” that the team’s supply of vaccines “will be greatly reduced in the days ahead as the province expands its list of priorities.”

Since the email was sent, Howard added, about another 1,000 people working in the hospital have registered for a vaccine appointment.

Roughly another thousand work from home and have not been offered the vaccine through the hospital yet, but some may have received it at Toronto pharmacies, if they qualify at age 60 and above.

Asked why some staff weren’t signing up, Howard said, “people have questions, which they should have.”

She added that to address this, the hospital network, which includes both Toronto Western and Toronto General, is opening a call centre this week to answer questions. They are also setting up “vaccine ambassadors who will go area to area and work with vaccine champions.”

Howard declined to name the departments and programs where uptake is below 50 per cent, saying they are working with those areas to address the issue.

“Blaming and shaming is not going to help us with hesitancy,” she added.

Smith notes most of those who work in the emergency departments, ICUs, and units where COVID patients are, or who are involved in high-risk aerosol-generating procedures, have already had both doses as their shots were given in December and January.

He also recognized “it’s disappointing for the many who are waiting for their second shot now” that second doses have been delayed.

“But there is ample evidence that persuaded the National Advisory Committee on Immunization that one dose gives good protection and dramatically reduces severity of the illness, hospitalization and death for those who contract the disease.”
Smith also acknowledged that “many people have heard rumours about the vaccines.” He pledged to do everything possible to make sure people have all the information they need, “to make the decision that it is safe to take a shot.”

Social media sites like Facebook have been rampant with misinformation and conspiracy theories about the vaccines, which have discouraged some people from getting them. The site announced in December it would be cracking down on misleading COVID vaccine posts.

Hopkins, the North York General Hospital spokesperson, said there are many reasons some people haven’t yet had their shots. Some intend to but, for example, may be on maternity leave.

“Others have hesitancy,” she wrote in an email. “There are many different reasons why people are hesitant. NYGH’s approach is to listen to our staff and physicians and to use different approaches based on what staff need.” This includes regular town halls to discuss concerns, and sharing stories of “people talking about why they decided to get the shot and addressing misperceptions and fears head-on.”
Some staff have recently done videos “addressing specific concerns including the relationship between anti-Black racism and vaccine hesitancy,” she added.

Sunnybrook is also using vaccine champions, spokesperson Millar said.

Hospital staff are free to choose whether or not to get the shot.

Kerry Bowman, a bioethicist at the University of Toronto said he doesn’t support mandatory vaccination or firing people for passing up the vaccine.

But “I would argue if you’re working in an emergency situation you really do have an obligation to be vaccinated,” he said.

There’s “absolutely and unequivocally an elevated moral responsibility if you are a health-care worker,” considering they are around vulnerable patients who they could give the disease.

As for the numbers of unprotected staff, especially with new variants of concern, “I think if it’s upwards of 10 per cent you’ve really got a significant problem there.”

I wouldn't want to go to see a doctor or nurse in person, if that doctor or staff did not get a vaccine by now.

Thousands of staff at University Health Network still haven’t received their COVID vaccines, says CEO in leaked email

From link.

I have met a few cleaners at Sick Kids via my bus ride home from work that are opinionated so this does not surprise me. This is why vaccines need to be mandated or at the very least it needs to be included in healthcare employment contracts.

If a person is working with communicable diseases there should not be a choice if you want to be vaccinated. If you feel vaccines are unsafe or subscribe to crazy conspiracies find another job.

I mean just think of all the diseases a person can potentially come into contact working at a hospital anything from the common cold to smallpox is a possibility.

There would be legal cases everywhere if you tried to do that. Medical exemptions, religious exemptions, human rights issues.
There are already vaccine requirements, for example, in schools, and to travel to certain countries. Obviously, there would be exemptions for things like medical requirements, and religious beliefs, though.

Last edited:
There would be legal cases everywhere if you tried to do that. Medical exemptions, religious exemptions, human rights issues.

Perhaps but think of it like Firefighters, Police and the Military being unable to refuse unsafe work (within reason) because THAT is their job. A similar case can be made for forced vaccination given their line of work.

Much like Firefighters cannot say running into a burning building is unsafe or Police saying that it is unsafe to engage a suspect medical staff know what they are getting into and should not be given the option to refuse vaccination.

Human rights, legal cases etc are not a sure thing in this case given the obvious benefits having fully vaccinated healthcare sector. In my opinion the benefits to society as a whole (including coworkers) outweigh the perceived human rights and legal violations.

I am not saying force vaccines on everyone, just make it a condition of employment for those that come into potential contact with communicable diseases in order to protect against an unforeseen outbreak.

Just look at typhoid mary!

If the legal beagles at hospitals etc thought that mandating the vaccine would fly, they would have done it by now. Do I personally think all medical staff should be vaccinated? Yes. Do I think it will become a condition of employment? I think the lawyers will have a field day deciding. Safe working conditions can be achieved in a number of ways, not just by a vaccine. Do I think that staff everywhere should have better sick days coverage so they don’t come into work sick and potentially spread viruses? Absolutely.

Last edited:
We have a lot of seniors in the building, some not too mobile. I don't think it is any kind of outbreak though.View attachment 307600
There are mobile clinics, though I had not heard anything about how they worked. I was under the impression that everything was still just for people over a certain age, and also that the vaccines were only approved for those 18 and older, though apparently there is some kind of testing involving kids with the Moderna one.
https://www.toronto.ca/news/toronto-covid-19-vaccination-update-15/

Perhaps but think of it like Firefighters, Police and the Military being unable to refuse unsafe work (within reason) because THAT is their job. A similar case can be made for forced vaccination given their line of work.

Much like Firefighters cannot say running into a burning building is unsafe or Police saying that it is unsafe to engage a suspect medical staff know what they are getting into and should not be given the option to refuse vaccination.

Human rights, legal cases etc are not a sure thing in this case given the obvious benefits having fully vaccinated healthcare sector. In my opinion the benefits to society as a whole (including coworkers) outweigh the perceived human rights and legal violations.

I am not saying force vaccines on everyone, just make it a condition of employment for those that come into potential contact with communicable diseases in order to protect against an unforeseen outbreak.

Just look at typhoid mary!

I agree, but it would take someone with the cajones to take it to the wall. Actually, institutional health care workers are grouped in with police, fire, etc. Below are excerpts from the OHSA (bold is mine). The keys are 'inherent to the job' and the refusal would directly endanger others (the word "directly" might be a bit of a fight). A firefighter cannot refuse to run into a burning building but can refuse to drive a truck with bald tires. The main fight would likely be around bodily integrity, which is different than simply refusing a task. An alternative might be to make a condition of employment going forward, which doesn't solve the immediate problem. Perhaps mandating onerous, uncomfortable and restrictive PPE for all who refuse. As an aside, I don't support faith exemptions.

Refusal to work

Non-application to certain workers

43 (1) This section does not apply to a worker described in subsection (2),

(a) when a circumstance described in clause (3) (a), (b), (b.1) or (c) is inherent in the worker’s work or is a normal condition of the worker’s employment; or

(b) when the worker’s refusal to work would directly endanger the life, health or safety of another person. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (1); 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (1).

Idem

(2) The worker referred to in subsection (1) is,

(a) a person employed in, or a member of, a police force to which the Police Services Act applies;

Note: On a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor, clause 43 (2) (a) of the Act is amended by striking out “a police force to which the Police Services Act applies” at the end and substituting “a police service to which the Community Safety and Policing Act, 2019 applies”. (See: 2019, c. 1, Sched. 4, s. 39 (1))

(b) a firefighter as defined in subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997;

(c) a person employed in the operation of,

(i) a correctional institution or facility,

(ii) a place of secure custody designated under section 24.1 of the Young Offenders Act (Canada), whether in accordance with section 88 of the Youth Criminal Justice Act (Canada) or otherwise,

(iii) a place of temporary detention under the Youth Criminal Justice Act (Canada), or

(iv) a similar institution, facility or place;

(d) a person employed in the operation of,

(i) a hospital, sanatorium, long-term care home, psychiatric institution, mental health centre or rehabilitation facility,

(ii) a residential group home or other facility for persons with behavioural or emotional problems or a physical, mental or developmental disability,

(iii) an ambulance service or a first aid clinic or station,

(iv) a laboratory operated by the Crown or licensed under the Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing Act, or

(v) a laundry, food service, power plant or technical service or facility used in conjunction with an institution, facility or service described in subclause (i) to (iv). R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (2); 1997, c. 4, s. 84; 2001, c. 13, s. 22; 2006, c. 19, Sched. D, s. 14; 2007, c. 8, s. 221.

Refusal to work

(3) A worker may refuse to work or do particular work where he or she has reason to believe that,

(a) any equipment, machine, device or thing the worker is to use or operate is likely to endanger himself, herself or another worker;

(b) the physical condition of the workplace or the part thereof in which he or she works or is to work is likely to endanger himself or herself;

(b.1) workplace violence is likely to endanger himself or herself; or

(c) any equipment, machine, device or thing he or she is to use or operate or the physical condition of the workplace or the part thereof in which he or she works or is to work is in contravention of this Act or the regulations and such contravention is likely to endanger himself, herself or another worker. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (3); 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (2).

Well, something something doing the same thing and expecting different results something something:

Calling it a F'd up requires making an error that one arguably doesn't want to make in the first place. I am not sure if the province consider the current rise something they didn't want/expect to see, vis-a-vis the broader political considerations. In other words, they are probably fine with this price.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm expecting the Province to say the jump was a result of delays in reporting cases/system migrations (which would just mean other days were under-reported, and doesn't make it any better, if that's the case).

I'm expecting the Province to say the jump was a result of delays in reporting cases/system migrations (which would just mean other days were under-reported, and doesn't make it any better, if that's the case).

That was what happened. They were overreported by 280 cases but even still that is 2100 new cases today.

I can see them putting a stay at home order in effect in the near future if the number start going up again. It sucks but it is neccessary.

I just hope that someone tells the York Region MOH to shut the f*** up when he mentions that lockdowns are not required.

That was what happened. They were overreported by 280 cases but even still that is 2100 new cases today.

I can see them putting a stay at home order in effect in the near future if the number start going up again. It sucks but it is neccessary.

I just hope that someone tells the York Region MOH to shut the f*** up when he mentions that lockdowns are not required.
Exactly. The 2100 new cases is still a 500+ increase from yesterday's count.

Back