News   Jul 15, 2024
 52     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 300     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

So far as I know, at least we're limited to TP Hoarding here in the GTA..........

See Los Angeles:

1584228159291.png

So far as I know, at least we're limited to TP Hoarding here in the GTA..........

See Los Angeles:

View attachment 236403

That was the joke that I made. You only need two things during a pandemic, food and a shotgun to protect both it and yourself.

All joking aside, that's america for you. At the first sign of a breakdown in society everyone arms themselves. I would not be surprised if Martial Law is declared in the US before this is all over.

That was the joke that I made. You only need two things during a pandemic, food and a shotgun to protect both it and yourself.

All joking aside, that's america for you. At the first sign of a breakdown in society everyone arms themselves. I would not be surprised if Martial Law is declared in the US before this is all over.

Martial law under the current prez is particularly disturbing a combination - and this is under the context of a highly polarized US with a deficit of social cohesion.

AoD

There is TP hoarding in the US too. A friend from Italy is very confused by it!

Ok.....with Sunrise Champion having left us.................I feel its now incumbent on me to post the Aussie Comedy bits known as 'Honest Government Ads'..........

They have one on COVID-19

Reactions: vic
Martial law under the current prez is particularly disturbing a combination - and this is under the context of a highly polarized US with a deficit of social cohesion.

AoD

If Trump actually did declare Martial Law in response to the outbreak it would lead to Civil War. You would have hard line trump supporters armed to the teeth protecting themselves and scared of the government. The more liberal, democratic part of the population would be hunkering down and getting treatment.

The bible belt would be praying for salvation, ignoring science pertaining to the outbreak and offering up hope and prayers.

From CTV News:

Despite these travel advisories, some people are taking advantage of cheap flights and travel packages amid the outbreak.

Julie Jackson booked a trip three weeks ago to celebrate her daughter’s high school graduation. She said they saved about $400 each for their flights to California in July.

“I would definitely have fear if I was going to Europe, the U.K. or Australia,” said Jackson, who lives in Vaughn, Ont.

“But to the U.S., I’m not too fearful.”

WTF.

AoD

From CTV News:

WTF.

AoD
Yes, I have seen people talking about this on my social media channels, and gloating about the great prices. @Admiral Beez , did you ever book that cruise?

My daughter, who has a young baby, has been taking precautions and staying close to home. She told me that many of her millenial-aged friends are partying, off on ski trips, etc.

A few tidbits of info to relate. Went to No Frills on Sherbourne this morning and I'd say about 25% of the store was empty of goods. Very busy with lots of people running around with a sense of urgency. No toilet paper, soups at all. Most cereals and dried goods were gone. Many empty freezers. Went to Dollarama after that and they still had loys of soups and other canned goods but no toilet paper. Wasn't too busy there at noon. Had planned trips to New York and Europe in late April but decided last week not to go. Didn't want to get trapped there and didn't want to leave my kids to deal with this by themselves. they're already scared. Late this afternoon I got an email from Air Canada saying our flight was cancelled. That was to Budapest at the end of April so they're already working far ahead.

Many restaurants will go under quickly in Toronto. We all know a lot are vanity projects that barely make money in the first place, if not operate at a loss.

A great way to support a favourite local restaurant run by a real local chef or as a family business is to go in and ask for a $100 gift certificate. That gives them the cash right now when they need it and you can get the meal with friends when this is all over.

Many restaurants will go under quickly in Toronto. We all know a lot are vanity projects that barely make money in the first place, if not operate at loss.
If you have a real local restaurant run by a local chef, a great way to support it is to go in and ask for a $100 gift certificate. That gives them the cash right now when they need it and you can get the meal with friends when this is all over.

On the other hand, it is questionable as to whether anyone will/should buy a gift certificate from a restaurant that may not survive. Government needs to play the key role of supporting the staff and perhaps freeze business expense for the duration of this crisis.

AoD

On the other hand, it is questionable as to whether anyone will/should buy a gift certificate from a restaurant that may not survive. Government needs to play the key role of supporting the staff and perhaps freeze business expense for the duration of this crisis.

AoD

Well, it's $100.

Paying rent is the immediate concern. For a lot of restaurants in Toronto that's a month-to-month cost that comes out of that months cash revenue, not some kind of savings. Government support may not come in time, or really be effective to assist at paying it. The government often first goes for supports that are more long term focused, like tax payment deferrals. Dropping interest rates helps only if the restaurants can actually borrow money, which may not be possible in a crisis.

So, yes, it's money that could vapourise, but, if you like a place and want to support it, there it is. Many lesser causes have received more support with zero expected return. You also get goodwill with the owners or chef which can come back to you in the future.

Back