News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

This answer is still a problem.

Hota said that we don't know how long the new coronavirus lives on surfaces — and that its lifespan likely depends on the surface.

We need to know that answer, sooner than rather than later.

Science takes time. If one is in doubt, err on the side of caution and wipe things down?

AoD

Actually wearing face mask in public originated in Japan, not China - and it was done first and foremost as a courtesy to avoid spreading the illness to others when someone is sick. And of course in China there is another very good reason (beyond what's covered) - pollution.
Hong Kong wore a mask for a completely different reason last year.

Chinese authorities initially reported that the new 2019-nCoV coronavirus had most seriously affected the elderly and those left vulnerable by pre-existing health conditions.

But an academic study published by Chinese researchers in The Lancet on Friday found that of the first 41 confirmed cases of the virus, which causes pneumonia-like symptoms, “less than half had underlying diseases.” Nearly half were 49 years of age or younger. And a third had not been exposed to the wild animal market identified as the source of virus, suggesting that even from the earliest days, it had begun to leap between people.

Fifteen per cent of those first 41 people died.
Now, new evidence is emerging that officials in Wuhan deliberately downplayed the virus, even after formally notifying the World Health Organization on Dec. 31 about what the WHO described as “a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause.”

But the Wuhan government took a “refrigerating strategy” in the early days of the viral spread, a doctor at Wuhan Union Hospital told China News Weekly. Medical staff were banned from speaking publicly about what was taking place or accepting media interviews, the doctor said.

Police in Wuhan also said in early January that they had arrested eight people for spreading “rumours” about what was then a little-understood pneumonia affecting a growing number of people.

This answer is still a problem.

Hota said that we don't know how long the new coronavirus lives on surfaces — and that its lifespan likely depends on the surface.

We need to know that answer, sooner than rather than later.
Can’t viruses lie dormant nearly indefinitely?

So, it's emerging today that the CPC is still the CPC, if you know what I mean. ?

Nothing to see here, folks. Carry on.

That is a weird article clearly published by who it was published by. That is to say, an organisation with a vested interest in making cleaning the hell out of everything seem like a great idea. It isn't.

In fact, it's detrimental to your health to attempt to live in a microprocessor lab.

I feel very comfortable saying, some can, in the right conditions, while many can't.

Its not an across the board answer. Some are very temperature sensitive, others to hydration (drying out) etc. etc.

In a potentially concerning note.......A tweet (supported by seemingly detailed information); suggests that a patient now diagnosed w/this virus (in Shanghai) was symptomatic in BC for sometime and went to more than hospital while here and was sent home. In the interim, spending time in several public locations.

This is the Tweet that started this:

1580187108796.png

I saw this minutes before you posted it; and was going to, if you didn't.

What does one even say.

Typically critics questions go through the leader's office ahead of time.

I honestly can't fathom how this got said out loud.

In response to this very tweet, known Conservative media commentator Charles Adler had this to say:

@charlesadler
·
2h

No one at this level should be asking questions that are this ill informed. The job of the Opposition is to hold the gov't to account. You cannot fulfill that role when you have no idea what you're talking about.
#HomeworkMatters

Fear over coronavirus prompts school board in Ontario to warn parents about racism against Chinese community

Unfortunately they are not doing themselves any favors walking around with masks on. I get that they are worried but unless you're currently in China they are not needed.

They may not be infected but the masks are the new plague doctor outfits. It gives some people the creeps.

I actually asked someone last night at my work about why they wear one and the short answer is that they were worried about catching the disease. I then promptly explained that a surgical mask does virtually nothing to protect them from the disease.

I get that they are worried but walking around with a surgical mask won't solve anything.

I will say though, I wonder if population density in Asia is making for a fertile breeding ground in terms of outbreaks. It seems as though the most recent outbreaks have come from China. You never hear of major outbreaks starting in Saskatoon for example.

I actually asked someone last night at my work about why they wear one and the short answer is that they were worried about catching the disease. I then promptly explained that a surgical mask does virtually nothing to protect them from the disease.

This is a point that bears reminding - surgical masks are not all that effective (and just wearing a mask is meaningless if one doesn't wear or remove it properly, or becomes lax in other best practices). False sense of security.

AoD

Back