News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 503     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-analysis-august-surge-1.5679225

Ontario making good progress.

I’m just not liking these kind of new case trends in other jurisdictions such as the BC example I posted. I want to see a sustained plateau of new cases but it seems many regions around the world just can’t sustain this and the graph just ends up looping back up.

Saying “it’s just young people” also (while initially true) is a poor example of rationalizing failure. That’s like saying our first wave was “just travellers”. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter who causes the next wave, the virus will find it’s way back to vulnerable populations eventually in due time if its circulation increases in the community.

Yikes... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/anti-mask-march-montreal-aug-8-1.5679598

I wonder how many of the people at that rally supported Quebec's ban on "religious symbols" (i.e., face/head coverings). Maybe it isn't really about "liberté" after all... 🤔

1596997918005.png

AoD

Officially we still have a suppression strategy in Australia re: the virus, but I wonder if we might get to effective elimination in Victoria (like they have in SA, WA, NT, and QLD sort of).

This caught my eye: been a decent-ish downtrend of new casts over past handful of days and someone's mapped trajectories to different policy initiatives.

Stage 3 restrictions (only go out of home for 4 reasons: and if you can work from home, you work from home - everyone else is still present at work) and mandatory masks whenever you are outside your home have pretty much put a huge cap on the upper end of the cases, muted exponential growth.

We'll know in about 5-7 days what impact the Stage 4 restrictions have (can only leave home for shopping and exercise for 1 hour - one person at a time - no further than 5km from home and the 'essential' industries that could still operate in Stage 3 are severely curtailed in stage 4).

I know it says in the graphic but: blue: no restrictions, yellow: several postcodes locked down (stage 3), pink all of metropolitan melbourne + mitchel shire locked down (stage 3), green: when masks were made mandatory.

My neighbour walked by a gym and most people inside were not wearing masks. I don't even know how people would be able to work out with masks on as it is to be honest. I just hope we (Toronto/Ontario) doesn't see an uptick in ~2 weeks or so with the recent move to Stage 3.

My neighbour walked by a gym and most people inside were not wearing masks. I don't even know how people would be able to work out with masks on as it is to be honest. I just hope we (Toronto/Ontario) doesn't see an uptick in ~2 weeks or so with the recent move to Stage 3.
Most gyms only require masks when you move away from the machine you are on.

Thinking of the American experience: Is the US inadvertently using the Swedish model and are vaccines just ultimately being developed for rich people?

If we are still 8 months out until a reasonable safe and effective vaccine at present infection rates you could see 17 million Americans test positive. Depends on the true level of exposure. If real exposure and asymptomatics are 10 times that number that’s 170 million people or half the American population before vaccines are even a factor. Only another 50 million or so until herd immunity starts being achieved. So are vaccines really only for those subpopulations most able to generally avoid infection, generally speaking the affluent?

That assumes that herd immunity is possible. The jury seems to be out on that because we are still in early days.

I wonder how many of the people at that rally supported Quebec's ban on "religious symbols" (i.e., face/head coverings).
I know! The snow stormtrooper look was ahead of the game. I don’t care what‘s covering your face, just do it.

I spent last week at Blue Mountain resort. It was pretty Covid safe. Masks everywhere, meals either on patio or takeout to room. Spent most days out hiking or exploring with the kids.

Coronavirus: New Zealand sees new community transmission

Aug 11, 2020

New Zealand reported new cases of coronavirus on Tuesday, its first confirmed local transmission in 102 days.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that there were four cases in an Auckland household from an unknown source. Auckland, the nation's largest city, will move to alert level three, meaning bars and many other businesses will be closed to prevent the spread of the illness.

Residents in Auckland have been asked to stay home starting Wednesday. The city will undergo lockdown measures for three days.

The rest of the country will be raised to a level two alert, which limits the size of gatherings both inside and outside, and hospitality services must be seated and separated.

"After 102 days, we have our first cases of COVID-19 outside of managed isolation or quarantine facilities … while we have all worked incredibly hard to prevent this scenario, we have also planned and prepared for it," said Ardern.

Back