News   Aug 07, 2024
 896     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 889     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 532     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Colleges and universities quietly preparing to take all classes online this fall amid COVID-19

Mon., May 4, 2020

“Our members are hearing, informally, that there is a recognition that the (fall) term is going to start online, start remotely and that, by the end of the fall term, they are hoping to transition to on campus,” said Michael Conlon, executive director of the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations.

It’s the “reality of what the experts are saying,” and health and safety must come first, he said. “They are expecting a second wave in the fall. Even if it’s not drastic, it could scuttle any plans for face-to-face instruction at an institution” until at least January 2021.

Two weeks of zero local infections: How Hong Kong contained its second wave of Covid-19

Updated 7:14 AM ET, Tue May 5, 2020

Hong Kong had just begun letting its guard down in late February when it was hit by a second wave of the novel coronavirus.

After a brief period of low case numbers, new infections spiked dramatically, prompting a series of additional stringent restrictions.

That second wave now appears to have largely passed. Hong Kong hasn't had a case of local transmission in more than two weeks, and the city is cautiously resuming normal life.

Hong Kong's success in surviving multiple waves of the virus provides hard earned lessons to other cities around the world now looking to relax restrictions.

They said there was no playbook for dealing with COVID-19 outbreak at nursing homes. There were several

From link.

Vicki McKenna came to the Ministry of Health’s offices with a warning.

It was January 20, and McKenna, president of the Ontario Nurses’ Association, and the organization’s CEO were meeting with Health Minister Christine Elliott. The nurses, troubled by the unspooling news of how COVID-19 had besieged the health care system in Wuhan and was now popping up outside of China, told the government that years of understaffing had left Ontario’s nursing homes just as vulnerable.

“When we started to see what was happening in other jurisdictions, the flags going up, we asked: ‘What are we doing about this? Are you acting on this?” McKenna said.

The minister, she recalls, listened to their concerns and said the province was monitoring the situation.

Five days after that meeting, the first case of COVID-19 was identified in Ontario.

Over the next two months, unions for front-line staff, seniors’ advocates and long-term care experts say they continued to sound the alarm in conversations with both the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Long-Term Care.

They say the long-term care sector was overlooked as strained acute care resources were shored up in response to dire international reports of overwhelmed intensive care units.

Meanwhile, the well-known cracks in Ontario’s nursing home system were allowed to become deadly sinkholes, according to experts and front-line staff, as well as allegations made in court.

One hundred days since the province’s first COVID-19 case, the virus has killed 1,300 people — 75% of them were nursing home residents.

If not for Ontario’s flat-footed response in its nursing homes, some of those deaths may have been averted.

“They listened but there was no action,” McKenna said. “Until there were positive cases starting to percolate in long-term care, that’s when the light went on ... and the focus turned to long-term care.”

In late March, as deaths inside nursing homes started to surge, Ford and his government vowed again and again to fortify the porous line of defence meant to protect Ontario’s most vulnerable from a virus that has them, more than anyone, in its crosshairs.

Provincial and federal officials lamented how the virus’s devastation of frail seniors’ was “unprecedented,” and the country simply did not have a “playbook” for handling COVID-19 in nursing homes.

But there were several playbooks — federal and provincial pandemic plans, post-SARS reports and infection prevention and control guidelines — all painstakingly developed in preparation for the inevitable next pandemic.

They predicted that elderly people, due to declining immune systems and multiple health conditions, would be among the hardest hit.

And once inside a home, the virus could spread fast. Higher transmission risk factors listed in the 2011 Canadian Pandemic Influenza Preparedness: Planning Guidance for the Health Sector include shared rooms, shared bathrooms, high nurse-to-patient ratios, lack of space to isolate infected residents, inability to have different staff for infected and uninfected residents, and the inability to keep physical distance of two metres or more between residents.

Many, if not all, of these factors were present at Ontario long-term care homes, especially in older facilities where up to four residents share a room.

Given the risk for rapid spread and the high-risk population, the stated goal of the plan for long-term care was “to keep the facility (or major areas of the facility) completely free of influenza.”

“We knew exactly what was going to happen ... We saw it in Asia. We saw it, particularly in seniors in congregate care settings, in Italy and Spain and then France,” said Laura Tamblyn Watts, CEO of CanAge, a national seniors’ advocacy organization.

Tamblyn Watts said she has been part of a chorus of long-term care experts and front-line health care workers that for weeks had been calling for more aggressive, meaningful government action to help halt the virus’s wildfire spread through nursing homes.

“We knew what was needed,” she continued. “The problem was the Ontario government didn’t do it.”

In an emailed statement, spokespersons for the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Long-Term Care said the focus of the province “has been on ensuring that these homes have the resources they need, including filling any urgent gaps.”

The province’s increasingly stringent measures “are building an iron ring around long-term-care homes so that we can protect our province’s most vulnerable,” the statement said.

The COVID-19 virus is especially dangerous in part because of how it can sweep through society via “silent spreaders” who display no symptoms, rendering normal screening measures focused on temperatures and symptoms far less useful.

While the prevalence of asymptomatic transmission was initially unclear, experts say that once it was suspected, Ontario should have moved beyond symptom screening and close-contact testing to widespread testing in all long-term-care homes even without an outbreak.

“With regards to what could have been done ... what we’re doing now, but doing it a month ago, would have prevented a lot of this,” said Dr. David Fisman, an epidemiologist at the University of Toronto’s Dalla Lana School of Public Health.

January 25: First COVID-19 case in Ontario

In a memo on Jan. 27, Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams said the two initial cases, a married couple who had returned from Wuhan, were not unexpected. The risk to Ontarians remained low, but more cases were expected to arise among travellers.

At the start of February, the Ministry of Health issued guidelines to long-term-care homes requesting passive screening of visitors, staff, and volunteers, and active screening of residents.

Signs instructed to self-identify if they had travelled to China or had symptoms like fever or acute respiratory illness. Residents were to be monitored for fevers, coughs or trouble breathing.

It was only after the virus had ripped through some long-term care homes that they were able to move residents into single rooms because COVID-19 had killed the previous occupant, some front-line staff said. Mount Sinai geriatrician Dr. Nathan Stall said the virus is estimated to kill about a third of infected long-term-care home residents.

The nursing home sector was in crisis long before COVID-19, said Pat Armstrong, a sociology professor at York University and lead author of the Canadian Center for Policy Alternatives’ April 2020 report Reimagining Long-term Residential Care in the COVID-19 Crisis.

Long-standing staffing shortages stemmed from low pay and a reluctance to provide full-time hours and benefits. Volunteers and family members have tried to fill the gaps.

Personal support workers, primarily racialized and immigrant women who do the challenging work of bathing, changing and feeding residents, are forced to work at multiple homes to get enough hours.

The sector’s increased reliance on part-time workers reduced workers’ awareness of infection protocols, the 2003 Naylor report on the SARS outbreak found. And the hourly pay and lack of sick leave or benefits meant there was an incentive to work while ill.

By mid-February, China’s Centre for Disease Control (CDC) released data showing the fatality rate for COVID patients 80 years and older was 14.8 per cent, more than six times larger than the death rate for the population as a whole. By early March, researchers in Italy found that, of 105 deaths, the average age was 81.

February 28: The Life Care Centre outbreak

Then came what former U.S. Centre for Disease Control director Tom Frieden called a “” for North American nursing homes — the outbreak at Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington.

The first positive case was confirmed Feb. 28. Just over a week later, 81 residents were infected and 22 were dead.

On March 8 — the same day as the first death in Canada at the Lynn Valley nursing home in Vancouver — Frieden pointed to the Life Care Centre outbreak and called nursing homes “ground zero” for COVID-19. He called for visits to be restricted and measures, such as paid leave, to ensure sick staff stay home.

It would be five days before Ontario’s chief medical officer of health advised nursing homes here to bar all but essential visitors.

With health officials focused on preparing hospitals for an onslaught of COVID patients that could overwhelm intensive care units, the province urged that certain COVID-negative patients be transferred out of hospitals and into long-term care where they would be isolated for two weeks.

“Our acute care system was inoculated, as it were, by SARS. And that’s been really awesome,” said Colin Furness, an infection control epidemiologist at the University of Toronto. But long-term care was not.

“It became pretty clear early that we weren’t ready,” said Sharleen Stewart, the president of the Service Employees International Union Healthcare, whose members work in nursing and retirement homes.

In meetings with officials from the ministries of health and long-term care through early March, “a lot of us brought up SARS and it kind of just went without response. We were asking the employers and the government particularly at that time, ‘What was the (personal protective equipment) situation? They said we had an adequate supply, which was not what we were hearing on the front lines,” she said.

Protective gear was already in short supply at the end of January with some homes reporting they were unable to procure PPE from their usual supplier.

The province was not taking the risk to long-term care homes seriously enough, she said.

“The more I watched this and the more I looked back over the weeks and months of how this was handled, I think this government chose who lives and dies. I really do,” said Stewart, speaking the day after a memorial for a personal support worker who died from COVID-19.

Continue at the link.

Last edited:
Hong Kong's International Airport is testing out full body disinfecting machines:

Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) has been experimenting with multiple sanitization technologies, including “disinfection channels, antimicrobial coating and autonomous cleaning robots,” to promote a higher level of cleanliness and hygiene while implementing preventative measures to hinder the spread of coronavirus.

One such measure is the testing of this new machine.

“HKIA is the world’s first airport where ‘CLeanTech,’ a full-body disinfection channel facility, is trialled in live operation,” an official press release, initially published in Chinese, explains.

Individuals using the machine will have their temperature checked before entering the enclosed space, and the complete disinfection and sanitization procedure takes all of 40 seconds.

Is it just me or is anyone else becoming rather annoyed with Dr De Villa and the policies she is implementing? I see the City of Toronto's daily press conference on TV and when she starts talking about various restrictions I want to scream at the TV.

While I understand the need for safety precautions I do feel like she is being overly restrictive for far too long. Some of that can be attributed to the Province of Ontario but honestly I hear her talk and I immediately want to say screw it and ignore the restrictions rather than be told to stay the course.

Personally, I can only stay the course for so long before I do my own thing.

Places like Europe and Asia are opening up again. They are letting people reopen schools and businesses but here we are staying tightly restricted until the fall.

I do believe that if Dr De Villa continues to preach staying the course for the foreseeable future there will be alot of angry people and her possible replacement.

Places like Europe and Asia started their restrictions before we did, and their curves are on a downward trend; they are in a different place than we are currently. In one country (can't remember which one), you can now go out of your house without a pass. We have never had that level of restriction.

Places like Europe and Asia started their restrictions before we did, and their curves are on a downward trend; they are in a different place than we are currently. In one country (can't remember which one), you can now go out of your house without a pass. We have never had that level of restriction.

Fair enough, I am just thinking that it would be best to stop saying things like "the foreseeable future", "months" and "the fall".

Stuff like that is not helpful when people have been adhering to instructions for the past two months and limiting their movements. If people start seeing other countries loosening restrictions while we stay this way indefinitely it could cause problems. I just find it irritating.

Sorry for the rant, I needed to vent.

Is it just me or is anyone else becoming rather annoyed with Dr De Villa and the policies she is implementing? I see the City of Toronto's daily press conference on TV and when she starts talking about various restrictions I want to scream at the TV.

While I understand the need for safety precautions I do feel like she is being overly restrictive for far too long. Some of that can be attributed to the Province of Ontario but honestly I hear her talk and I immediately want to say screw it and ignore the restrictions rather than be told to stay the course.

Personally, I can only stay the course for so long before I do my own thing.

Places like Europe and Asia are opening up again. They are letting people reopen schools and businesses but here we are staying tightly restricted until the fall.

I do believe that if Dr De Villa continues to preach staying the course for the foreseeable future there will be alot of angry people and her possible replacement.

No, its not just you.

Dr. De Villa has been completely out of step with the leading science on this issue from very early on.

The Chief Medical Officer given the most credit for the best handling of Covid in the country is BC's Bonnie Henry.

Her advice "Please go outside" "The risk is low"

The chance of catching COVID-19 from someone coughing as they walk past you in a park is "infinitesimally small," B.C.'s provincial health officer said Wednesday.

Meanwhile the same Dr. Devilla who oversees Toronto Public Health had an outbreak at her own HQ, in which Toronto Public Health staff said they had less protection than staff at Loblaws.

Lest there be any perceived ambiguity in my opinion, I would like to see Dr. De Villa removed from her job for cause. I have found her job performance severely wanting throughout this crisis.

While your quote is true; I don't think that takes away from what I've had to say above about Dr. De Villa.

Its worth saying that at no point has Vancouver closed any parks (amenities yes); and in fact that City, as with many, including Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and NYC and SF, and Oakland and Seattle in the U.S. has been proactive in trying to find more space for pedestrians and cyclists to promote social distancing while enjoying the outdoors.

I have found her attitude and that of our Mayor to be patronizing, and sanctimonious, which is hard enough to bare when someone's right; but utterly intolerable when they're wrong, and hypocritical.

Last edited:
Theory: A Stanford study demonstrated that working from home boosts productivity. Companies are going to discover that their employees’ productivity has gone up working from home over the next many months and given that they’re going to have to create systems to to make this the new (albeit temporary) normal, many companies are just going to keep them in place and maintain the new status quo – or at least continue to offer the option.

As a result, this pandemic is going to change the face of office towers the world over. Office vacancies are going to skyrocket. I wouldn’t bet on any outstanding office towers being built in Toronto.

Will they even finish 160 Front St West, currently under construction? Are we going to get another Bay-Adelaide Street Stump? Very possible. Union Square starting? Not a chance. I can even see some of the existing office space being converted into residential condos.

We’re in a new world. There’s absolutely going to be a paradigm shift. All bets are off.

Well, this prediction is unfolding as I theorized.

BMO Says 80% of Employees May Switch to Blended Home-Office Work

There's going to be an inevitable surge in office vacancies after this pandemic as companies develop work from home protocols and technologies and workers solidify the new routines over the coming months. This will in turn affect office tower construction. I will not be surprised to see a series of cancellations from some of our high profile towers currently in the works. To be honest, I'm surprised that CIBC tower 2 is still a go.

Back