News   Aug 08, 2024
 243     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Regardless of merit, closing inter-provincial boundaries is illegal, and unconstitutional.

There is some limited basis for closing one particular crossing or a qualified travel restriction, but not a wholesale closure.

Moreover, a substantial portion of the Federal Civil Service works in Ottawa, but lives in Gatineau.

I'm not sure the 'border controls' between provinces are as much closures as checkpoints; however, I don't know what criteria they may be applying. Quebec also has or had checkpoint on roads accessing its northern region as well. Their online 511 site no longer shows any checkpoints. Our daughter's in-laws live on the Ontario side of the Ottawa river and have a cottage on the Quebec side and have encountered checkpoints sporadically (they have been denied).

Whether or not they are total closures or travel restrictions, if you look at the wording of Charter Section 6, I'm not sure the constitutionality is all that clear or settled. Of course, taller learned foreheads than I will no doubt debate this because, well, that's what they do. It would seem that mobility for work ('participate in the economy') is clearly protected, which would cover the Ottawa-Gatineau area and likely others (besides, how would they ever hope to control it), as is actual residency, but it doesn't strike me as clear whether so-called general travel is addressed in the Section.

Quebec has been limiting out-of-province employment mobility in the regulated trades for years under the guise of language fluency.

Not entirely. If the feds went nuclear and invoked the emergencies act they can legally restrict interprovincial travel.

The Emergencies Act is explicitly Charter-Bound.

At the very least, they'd have to meet the 'Reasonable Limits' clause.

Which based on the science they could not (with a blanket ban).

So, remember Sweden being more carefree about this than me in my 20s?

Well, I saw today (on DW, I think it was) that they are expecting Stockholm to achieve herd immunity status very soon.

I will laugh so hard if the Swedes beat us all to this whilst we're still half-closed and waiting for vaccines a year from now all the while suffering similar rates of death. ?

That will be one of those epic cosmic jokes.

Considering they don't even know yet what it takes to be immune, that statement is rather optimistic. And their case numbers, test numbers, etc. are not great compared to other countries, so I'm not convinced that their experiment is all that awesome.

Isn't that what we do here?

Oh....just seems that way? I see.

You sure drivers here have road tests prior to licensing? Could have fooled me.

Isn't that what we do here?

Oh....just seems that way? I see.

You sure drivers here have road tests prior to licensing? Could have fooled me.

No disagreement that our tests and training rules need a re-think/upgrade.

But I'd still take a test over no test.

Also....its Georgia............just saying.

You cant Trust The Swedes anymore...

Compared to Finland, Denmark and Norway they sort of have gone off the deep end on many things

Didn‘t PEI close the bridge to all but commercial traffic?

I don't know that (and can't be bothered to root through media archives). I imagine some people move back and forth for work, etc. It might be media seeing a police car and confusing 'checkpoint' with 'closure'.

No disagreement that our tests and training rules need a re-think/upgrade.

But I'd still take a test over no test.

Also....its Georgia............just saying.

I wonder if the honour system will extend to marriage licences - 'no, we're not brother and sister . . . honest'.

Pei is closed to non residents and have a checkpoint at the bridge.

Be honest that makes sense for them and it's work they have had no cases in a while

Frankly I'm starting to hear from a lot of younger people that they're going to start meeting people and going on dates and stuff.

I have actually decided that I'm going to go back to meeting my bf and one friend at a time starting Saturday.

Back