News   Apr 22, 2024
 789     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 672     0 

Nordstrom

I try to plan trips to Yorkdale for Saturday mornings and get their 5 minutes before opening. Park in the underground lot.

Otherwise I will do anything to avoid that mall.

Any time that I drive to Yorkdale, I find myself saying "why the flying f*ck did I not take the subway?" And that despite the fact that I always, always arrive before it opens. It's assinine to say "oh, people must be used to less popular malls" - Yorkdale is an objectively difficult place at which to drive and park. I don't have a lot of sympathy, since there is an excellent transit connection, but nonetheless it is not a great place to park.

if youre going to tell me that you cant find parking when the mall is opening then I dont know what to say. My wife works at the airport and routinely she gets off at 330 and on tuesdays we make a 4pm show at yorkdale. That means we somehow drive the distance and park within 30 minutes. Parking at the bay is my best bet but there are definitely spots on a tuesday afternoon yet alone when the mall is about to open.

if youre going to tell me that you cant find parking when the mall is opening then I dont know what to say.

Seriously, where did I say that? The reason I go so early is to avoid having problems finding parking. Doesn't make the overall experience (particularly getting out) any better though. And one does not have to wait long after opening for parking to be insane. Most people can't take off work to go on a Tuesday afternoon.

If you're not going to read people's posts before commenting, then I don't know what to say.

Seriously, where did I say that? The reason I go so early is to avoid having problems finding parking. Doesn't make the overall experience (particularly getting out) any better though. And one does not have to wait long after opening for parking to be insane. Most people can't take off work to go on a Tuesday afternoon.

If you're not going to read people's posts before commenting, then I don't know what to say.
My wife starts work at 630... it isnt exactly taking time off and many people at her office have the same types of hours so people can commute to barrie, kitchener, burlington. I read your post but I guess I just assumed by the complaining and the fact that you always wish you had taken transit that it was a nightmare to find parking even when you get there early. Dont worry I have this same argument with my mother who refuses to go to yorkdale either because of the parking. i simply dont get it as I cant say my experiences at really anytime other than say a black friday/ boxing day to be nightmarish. I always find parking within a few minutes and I shop there on the weekends as well since we are very close by. But I guess the thing is that what a nightmare is to one is not to another. Its all relative. For instance I think commuting to a place like barrie, burlington or kitchener would be a nightmare so if you ask me my opinion of if buying a big house in these areas are worth it I will without a split second of thinking about it say no. I will say though my worst parking experiences are the times I am dumb enough to go to vaughan mills on a holiday weekend because yorkdale is closed. Vaughan mills has miles of parking yet I feel like I have to park so far away from the mall its a hike to get inside.

I never said your wife was taking time off work - in fact, you had specifically said you go when she gets off work. I said most people can't take time off work to go on a Tuesday afternoon. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

I would refuse to go to Yorkdale before they opened up the first and now second underground parking lots.
People have finally caught on two years later to the parking lot by Joey's and it is usually full.

Most people still don't know about the massive 5 floor parking lot under the Nordstrom wing though.
Last two weekends multiple floors have been practically empty.

Yorkdale was tolerable when the TTC lot was still in existence.

Good tip on the Nordstrom lot.

IMG-20161206-00120.jpg
N

This is the Nordstrom parking lot at 7pm on a Tuesday in December.... That's over 1000 parking spots. But I guess the parking problem is only on the weekends. I should have went over to the parking lot at apple/Microsoft but it was rainy and I just wanted to go home.

Attachments

• IMG-20161206-00120.jpg
    IMG-20161206-00120.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 625
Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while since i've provided a update on Nordstrom, but here's an update on their performance:

-Nothing has changed with the Eaton Centre location, the store is still struggling to the point they've reduced the number of employees working on any given day. Holiday sale numbers were good (they met their goal) but were not earth-shattering by any means. The only way to realistically drive performance here would be to diversify product offerings which they have been very reluctant to do (or in-denial about the problem).

-The Yorkdale location is still doing much better than the Eaton Centre location. I dont have exact numbers on the performance but they definitely performed much better than the downtown location over the holiday period.

-Sherway is still on track to open in Fall 2017, and it will be the smallest location out of all the full-line stores in Canada. The plan is to have employees with experience at both the Yorkdale and Eaton location to both assist with the store set up as well as work in that location.

It's been a while since i've provided a update on Nordstrom, but here's an update on their performance:

-Nothing has changed with the Eaton Centre location, the store is still struggling to the point they've reduced the number of employees working on any given day. Holiday sale numbers were good (they met their goal) but were not earth-shattering by any means. The only way to realistically drive performance here would be to diversify product offerings which they have been very reluctant to do (or in-denial about the problem).

-The Yorkdale location is still doing much better than the Eaton Centre location. I dont have exact numbers on the performance but they definitely performed much better than the downtown location over the holiday period.

-Sherway is still on track to open in Fall 2017, and it will be the smallest location out of all the full-line stores in Canada. The plan is to have employees with experience at both the Yorkdale and Eaton location to both assist with the store set up as well as work in that location.

Not a surprise. It's hard to see any reason to shop there over Hudson's Bay.

Not a surprise. It's hard to see any reason to shop there over Hudson's Bay.
Well, HBC (The Bay) and Nordstrom arent really direct competitors; it would be more Nordstrom vs. Saks.

In either case the store manager from the Nordstrom Eaton Centre location has been sacked. He lasted a grand total of: 6 months (only counting the time since the store opened). There's an interim one that has been put in place, but expect changes once a full replacement has been hired.

Well, HBC (The Bay) and Nordstrom arent really direct competitors; it would be more Nordstrom vs. Saks.

In either case the store manager from the Nordstrom Eaton Centre location has been sacked. He lasted a grand total of: 6 months (only counting the time since the store opened). There's an interim one that has been put in place, but expect changes once a full replacement has been hired.
Interesting; at least Nordstrom isn't messing around when it comes to performance expectations. We need more of that, especially at some HBC stores and Holt Renfrew. HR's store at Square One has been under-performing since opening last summer. Would be interesting to know what steps have been taking towards a similar type of management change (the service levels in that store leave a lot to be desired!). For anyone here who has shopped at Nordstrom, is the service levels consistent with the expectations from US stores?

Back