News   Apr 18, 2024
 612     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I think it's interesting people in Canada find it downright embarassing that the US allows figures like Sarah Palin and Christine O'Donnell to hold public office. Yet here we have Rob Ford as an actual legitimate possibility for mayor and he is quite possibly an even bigger political joke than either of those two. I don't think anyone from Toronto has the moral high ground to mock US politics anymore.

It's sad, but I always feel that there is always a strong undercurrent of antiintellectualism in every society and Ford is tapping into it very effectively.

I don't understand it - who in Toronto are the 'elite'? Marathon runners? Bicyclists? Or is it the doctors? Lawyers? Architects? Professors? In other words, people who work 60-70 + hours/week on average after spending the better part of their lives in school? Give me a break. We're all the in same fucking pot.

It's the streetcar riders, all of those tax-sucking elitist scoundrels that have metropasses and look at us with scorn from their ivory towers.

It's sad, but I always feel that there is always a strong undercurrent of antiintellectualism in every society and Ford is tapping into it very effectively.
We can always do what the intellectuals did the last time direct action was taken to address this concern and bring back eugenics.

Where were Smitherman's supporters? Pantalone and Ford had loud crowds with them. Seemed strange that Smitherman's folks hadn't organized a cheering section for him.

That question at the very end of the show was pathetic. This lady essentially accused Smitherman for personally not saving her father's life? Ford shill methinks.

George Smitherman's "footsie" comment is getting a lot of replay already and without context makes him look like an ass. Not good in the final days.

We can always do what the intellectuals did the last time direct action was taken to address this concern and bring back eugenics.

Actually, the Nazi party was viciously anti-intellectual. As was the Soviet Union. As is a significant part of the United States. In fact, throughout history intellectuals quite frequently ended up on the wrong side of government aggression.

You're either a troll or know nothing about history.

And isn't it usually the backwoods rightwing skinwhead white nationalists that advocate eugenics nowadays?

Yes, he de-legitimized the election when he said he would spoil his ballot.

Yes... Joe is an utter buffoon. Any "progressive" who votes for him is nothing more than a right-winger still hiding in the closet.

"de-legitimized the election"? Please explain. What would you have said if you were in his position?

Some people are principled idealists, and vote for their preferred candidate. Blame the fact that this vote is not a run-off. It NEEDS to be a run-off.

Actually, the Nazi party was viciously anti-intellectual. As was the Soviet Union. As is a significant part of the United States. In fact, throughout history intellectuals quite frequently ended up on the wrong side of government aggression.

You're either a troll or know nothing about history.

And isn't it usually the backwoods rightwing skinwhead white nationalists that advocate eugenics nowadays?

Eugenics (and racial 'hygiene') was indeed a part of the intellectual discourse in US/CAN/Europe in late 19th century until WWII. The NAZI party (and, for that matter, the communist party in USSR) was supported by certain intellectuals and disliked by others. A lot of anti-NAZI intellectuals in Germany were in fact communist supporters...

I'd say your knowledge of late 19th and early 20th century history is incomplete, or at least highly selective.

It should be a run-off but it's not. I know it sucks and it's disappointing and whatever else, but it's not like Pantalone was ever the ideal progressive candidate to begin with. Either you're going to vote for Smitherman or you're going to let Rob Ford win.

Where were Smitherman's supporters? Pantalone and Ford had loud crowds with them. Seemed strange that Smitherman's folks hadn't organized a cheering section for him.

Ya this surprised me as well. Where did they find this audience?? They were continuously booing Smitherman, even when he'd say something like, "I would fund public health" or something. And to boot, Pants had clearly teamed up with Ford. When Ford had to ask him a question, he asked him about experience. And then when he had to say who he'd vote for he said he'd vote for Pantalone. The best thing that could happen to Ford is a Pantalone surge! It's all strategic and absolute bullshit.

The fix is in for Ford to win and Pantalone is helping him do it. Why? Because, Joe knows he can't win this one, so he's set his sights on the next election. It will be easier for him to win against 4 years of an ineffective Ford . Joe is a sly one.

He didn't ask a loaded question or one that was biased, so I don't see the problem. What about the woman from Scarborough that asked the eHealth question - what was the purpose of that considering it was already brought up 30 times thus far in the debate?

She looked familiar to me. I wonder if I had seen her at Ford's office at Warden and Lawrence when I dropped by???

I'm really surprised nobody here has mentioned Justin Trudeau's high profile endorsement of Smitherman last night. It was the lead story on CFTO news, and it was an absolute mob scene.

The fix is in for Ford to win and Pantalone is helping him do it. Why? Because, Joe knows he can't win this one, so he's set his sights on the next election. It will be easier for him to win against 4 years of an ineffective Ford . Joe is a sly one.

You don't think there will be a much better progressive candidate in 4 years? Even a scandal plagued Giambrone would have performed better than Pantalone.

Back