News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 963     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I read somewhere today (can't remember where amongst all the Ford goings on) that Tory will declare soon.

The key for any candidate that wants to pick up some of Ford's supporters is to not appear to be piling on. I do not think anyone will enter the race until this Ford stuff gets off the front pages.

Although Tory does have a knack for doing the wrong thing politically so maybe he will enter soon.

Catholics are Ford's biggest supporters? lol

Many Toronto Catholics are "ethnic whites" of southern or eastern European descent. The Italian Canadian community for instance has the highest rate of homeownership of any ethnic group. They are less likely to be poor and well-off Italians are more likely to have made their money in small business and "nontraditional" occupations than in the professions. Fits the Ford demographic. So it's a mix of economic position and culture.

Tory does have a knack for doing the wrong thing politically

Yea...like getting involved in politics.

A guy like Tory with his sense of entitlement is used to simply being "appointed" to things. That's why he has been acting as the "mayor in exile" ever since he lost his mayoralty race, pretend running the city from his talk/opinion radio show. Like Ford, he has his adoring fan base that fuel his ego.

Tory doesn't have ideas, and when he does, it's usually a phenomenally bad one.

Many Toronto Catholics are "ethnic whites" of southern or eastern European descent. The Italian Canadian community for instance has the highest rate of homeownership of any ethnic group. They are less likely to be poor and well-off Italians are more likely to have made their money in small business and "nontraditional" occupations than in the professions. Fits the Ford demographic. So it's a mix of economic position and culture.

And FYI: they're were also the core of whatever rump John Nunziata support existed in 2003 (obvious ethnic reasoning there; but Nunz had the closest thing to a "Ford/Lastman populist" pitch that year, even if the Fords ultimately supported Tory)

In the past week I have come across a few Ford supporters that have been somewhat vocal about defending the guy. We can write them off as being ignorant and uninformed, and while this may be the case, the sad reality is that this ideology is what got him elected in the first place. We should be examining what supporters see in the guy, so that any credible opposition knows how to up against him.

Anyways, here are some of the things his supporters see in him:

1. Some old acquaintances on my Facebook who live in north Etobicoke were going on about how much he has done for the community, helping troubled youth in the area. I assume that this referring to his football coaching, but it may also refer to other acts of community service as well.
2. While showing a friend some clips of Ford on The Daily Show, he was going on about who is going to run against him? Note that while not very political for the most part, he is generally right of centre and basically laughed at the idea of Chow or Stintz putting up a credible campaign.
3. While exhibiting some of the same clips in the lunchroom at work, a new girl yelled, "Leave Rob Ford alone!" Apparently at some point he went to her high school (what he was doing in Richmond Hill I have no idea) and that he seems like a pretty nice guy, and that he was human and he makes mistakes like everybody does. Finally when she asked what was so bad about him, besides the LRT fiasco I have to admit I was grasping at straws. She shot down these criticisms anyways, using the blanket statement that all politicians lie.

So what can we gather from such intel? First whoever runs against Ford needs to be visible in local community service. This means more than spending money to help fund initiatives, but needs to be very visible in their efforts. Second they need to have a good platform to run on. This also includes attacking his policy record just as much as his buffoonery, if not more so. And finally they need to have a likable personality and be very honest. Without these natural traits, then Ford could potentially secure another term.

I would really like to see an updated, thorough poll result for the city post all this Ford craziness. The idea that his poll numbers have not been negatively impacted by these last weeks seems incomprehensible.

In the past week I have come across a few Ford supporters that have been somewhat vocal about defending the guy. We can write them off as being ignorant and uninformed, and while this may be the case, the sad reality is that this ideology is what got him elected in the first place. We should be examining what supporters see in the guy, so that any credible opposition knows how to up against him.

Why people support Ford is almost as much of a mystery as why people support the Provincial Liberals.

Ford is morally and personally corrupt. The Liberals are morally and politically corrupt.
Ford cost the City next to no money. The Liberals cost the Province countless Billions of dollars.
Ford had very little political skill and could not implement many of his good ideas. The Liberals have immense political skill and implemented many of their poor ideas.
The City is financially in pretty good shape, despite Ford. The Province is in terrible financial shape - compared to our lofty status 10 years ago, because of the Liberals.

I think most of Fords support is from people who say: "if those guys still support the Liberals, then I will continue to support Ford". Neither deserves support yet both sides seem to put aside all logic and continue to support their original choice - despite the mountain of evidence that they have been let down.

Why people support Ford is almost as much of a mystery as why people support the Provincial Liberals.

Ford is morally and personally corrupt. The Liberals are morally and politically corrupt.
Ford cost the City next to no money. The Liberals cost the Province countless Billions of dollars.
Ford had very little political skill and could not implement many of his good ideas. The Liberals have immense political skill and implemented many of their poor ideas.
The City is financially in pretty good shape, despite Ford. The Province is in terrible financial shape - compared to our lofty status 10 years ago, because of the Liberals.

I think most of Fords support is from people who say: "if those guys still support the Liberals, then I will continue to support Ford". Neither deserves support yet both sides seem to put aside all logic and continue to support their original choice - despite the mountain of evidence that they have been let down.

Who really supports the Liberals more then Hudak blew it? You always say this, but Hudak should have won and he didn't. He's not a good leader.

Why people support Ford is almost as much of a mystery as why people support the Provincial Liberals...

That alternate reality you live in sounds fascinating. Is that the same one where Hudak will build subways finding efficiencies?

How about filling up the Eglinton subway, amalgamating Toronto at a huge cost, and privatising water treatment services, great ideas still?

Oh, and I like how the biggest recession in recent history didn't happen. I bet it happened at the federal level, though.

I support the Liberals because besides the fact that the other parties are so terrible it is scary to see them in power, they have new leadership which is doing a pretty good job addressing the problems of the previous leader's focus.

If McGuinty was running in the next election, I would probably vote Green again.

I support the Liberals because besides the fact that the other parties are so terrible it is scary to see them in power, they have new leadership which is doing a pretty good job addressing the problems of the previous leader's focus.

If McGuinty was running in the next election, I would probably vote Green again.

If ranked ballots were available at the provincial level, I'd vote 1) Green 2) NDP 3) Liberal. However, since its first past the post, I would have to vote Liberal.

Last edited:

Back