News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 962     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Because in the polls Chow had 10 times the support that Stintz does. I'm not saying that it would be impossible for her to beat Chow, but the odds are not in her favor.

Polls are useless. Don't they only cover the head of each household? Polls are hardly definitive. People change their opinions, right up to election day.

That's where your theory falls apart. Detective Sgt. Giroux's findings will likely be made public by then and charges laid but Ford will not be in jail. By the time the case is heard in court, the election will have already been held. I doubt Stintz and all of her advisors will have failed to realize that. Unless Ford is physically incapable (i.e. dead) then he's running in the next election.

Even if he does run, I can't imagine he will get that much support, this time 'round. He's lost the intelligent conservative vote. His emotional manipulation tactics and hypocrisy will easily be picked apart by someone like Stintz, and any other intelligent candidate.

Last edited:
Polls aren't useless. Sure they can't be used to say for certain who will win an election. But they're a very important tool nevertheless.

They don't get the opinions from every eligible voter living under one roof. I've never been polled, since I don't own the house I live in.

that doesn't mean that they don't get a somewhat accurate portrayal of the populance.

How can they, when there are plenty of families with multiple voters in each house? My family household has 4 eligible voters. Some homes have more. All those voices aren't taken into account in polls. Not everyone, under one roof, will necessarily vote the same way.

How can they, when there are plenty of families with multiple voters in each house? My family household has 4 eligible voters. Some homes have more. All those voices aren't taken into account in polls. Not everyone, under one roof, will necessarily vote the same way.

Listen, polls can be good or bad, and sometimes skewed. But, if you think pro pollers haven't thought through representation issues that you came up with in 2 seconds, you're kidding yourself. They might not be perfect, but they're far from 'useless.'

Well it would be a huge by-election with high profile candidates for both the NDP and Libs. Mike Layton's name gets thrown about.

I'm glad office by birthright is alive and well in this country.

On another note, I really hope a centrists with some sense and a backbone would run for office.

John Tory would be ideal, stintz a second choice... This city is lacking serious talent if we are stuck with Ford and Chow...

Last edited:

On another note, I really hope a centrists with some sense and a backbone would run for office.

John Tory would be ideal, stintz a second choice... This city is lacking serious talent if we are stuck with Ford and Chow...

Are you sure? According to Rob Ford, only multimillionaires who can pay for their own office expenses from their inheritance or family business, should run for Councillor or Mayor.

This is a British Commonwealth country. Look at the public service. Hell, look at RBC or Scotia. If your aren't from the British Isles or a commonwealth nation it's not so easy to get a job, especially out east. You have to have the connections. Chow has them. Ford has them.

Stintz is definitely holding her cards close to her chest as was seen in last night's appearance on The Agenda. She has this childish "I won't tell you na na na!" giddiness about her aspirations for the Mayor's chair but her performance under questioning reassured me that she's clever and wouldn't give up her political career by running in a losing race nor does she want to upset the likely new Mayor. She's playing both sides.

This fit with what I heard from Laschinger's camp that Stintz was assisting in assembling Olivia's campaign in some capacity. She knows that if Chow becomes Mayor, she might lose her politically advantageous TTC chair -- unless that is, she helps Chow win. I also don't think that she's abandoned her potential campaign which in turn would fits with One Nut Krut's info that somebody working for her says she's running.

I think that Karen Stintz is working out a Plan A and Plan B without definitively committing to either one. If things remain the same and Ford goes in to the election strong enough to make it a one on one with Chow, then Stintz runs for re-election for Toronto Council while assisting Chow in defeating Ford. Should Ford go completely down in flames between now and September 12 (final day to submit nomination papers) and it begins to look like an Olivia Chow coronation, then Stintz can drop her Council nomination and run for Mayor with a month to go.

This is a British Commonwealth country. Look at the public service. Hell, look at RBC or Scotia. If your aren't from the British Isles or a commonwealth nation it's not so easy to get a job, especially out east. You have to have the connections. Chow has them. Ford has them.
I don't understand this at all. Olivia Chow was not born in a Commonwealth nation, but in Hong Kong. Granted it was a British colony at the time, but Hong Kong was not a Commonwealth nation, instead being a British dependent territory, though for argument's sake we can include it - but what's your point here?. Besides, many new Canadians originate from the UK and Commonwealth nations, including Canada's large Jamaican, Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Guyanese and British populations.

I don't understand this at all. Olivia Chow was not born in a Commonwealth nation, but in Hong Kong. Granted it was a British colony at the time, but Hong Kong was not a Commonwealth nation, instead being a British dependent territory, though for argument's sake we can include it - but what's your point here?. Besides, many new Canadians originate from the UK and Commonwealth nations, including Canada's large Jamaican, Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Guyanese and British populations.

That many of the public and private sector hiring and getting ahead is based on connections and a lot of them are from Britain and the former colonies.

I for one would like to see Tory. He is the social liberal / fiscal conservative type of guy this city needs. He smart and eloquent, exceptionally well spoken. Considering some of the positions he has held as head of Rogers and CFL Commissioner, I've never heard anyone speak badly of him. I think Rob is done. He had his chance. He's an oaf, brash and makes bad choices of friends. But he's kept the budget tight and the city is no worse off than before he got here and he sure as hell had little support in City Hall. There are so many incumbent I'd like to see gone from that council. It is likely the most dysfunctional in Canada.

Chow will make Barbara Hall shine in comparison. I'd rather see Stintz than Rob at this point.

Back