14     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 210     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 340     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

In the USA, support for labor unions is reaching an all time low:
tvcvpa3inugt-f4thu-qlw.gif

Wow ... years of support being pro-union. And he goes a bit anti-union and he is crucified.
...are you serious?

lol

he is being hated on for not being even more tough on the unions.

I actually think most of the electorate would have supported him if he pulled off a Ronald Regan. :D

The right will never love/forgive him, and he just pissed off all the unionists. It's not surprising.

Smitherman ponders run for Toronto mayor

Ontario Energy Minister George Smitherman says he's thinking about running for mayor of Toronto in next year's municipal election. (Nathan Denette/Canadian Press)

Ontario Energy Minister George Smitherman has sent the clearest signal so far that he's interested in running against Mayor David Miller in next year's municipal election.

Smitherman told reporters that after thinking about his future during his summer vacation, he thinks the November 2010 election could be the right time to run for mayor of Canada's biggest city.

"I don't have a campaign statement, I've just acknowledged publicly that, yeah, it's something that I'm thinking about,"

Ontario Energy Minister George Smitherman has sent the clearest signal so far that he's interested in running against Mayor David Miller in next year's municipal election.

Smitherman told reporters that after thinking about his future during his summer vacation, he thinks the November 2010 election could be the right time to run for mayor of Canada's biggest city.

"I don't have a campaign statement, I've just acknowledged publicly that, yeah, it's something that I'm thinking about," Smitherman told CBC News.

Smitherman has previously denied rumours he would run for mayor, but he said Tuesday he's noticed a growing desire for change in Toronto.

"I'm very, very flattered that a lot of people from our city have been raising it with me," Smitherman said, when asked about the possibility of running for mayor.

He said he has talked with John Tory, the former Progressive Conservative leader and possible mayoralty contender, with an eye to offering clear choices for voters in the next election.

Smitherman said he expects to make a decision about running by the end of the year, adding that provincial rules would require him to step down as a Liberal cabinet minister if he decides to launch a campaign.

Miller said he is looking forward to debating his main opponent in the next election —whoever it may be. The mayor said elections "are about listening to Torontonians, but also telling them where you stand."

The municipal election is still about a year away, but serious candidates are expected declare their intention to run on Jan. 1 because that's when they can launch fundraising efforts.

Wth files from The Canadian Press .....http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/09/08/smitherman-toronto-mayor.html

In Smitherman, has Miller met his mayoral match?

A new Global News poll shows that 79 per cent of Torontonians want someone else chosen as mayor in the next election. The mayor's approval rating stands at just 29 per cent. The pollster, John Wright of Ipsos-Reid, said he has never seen such bad numbers in 20 years of Toronto polling.

More.........http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ay-have-met-his-mayoral-match/article1279950/

Last edited:
Wow ... years of support being pro-union. And he goes a bit anti-union and he is crucified.

Who'd have thought that the electorate was so pro-Labour.

But doesn't this mean they need a candidate to the left of Miller; not a bit to the right?

Torontonians realize that he largely failed in his anti-union stance which brings to light how ineffectual he is. He's smart and talks the talk, but he's too slow to get anything done.

The electorate is what???
pro-labour. If the electorate didn't turn on Miller until he went anti-labour, then surely the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the electorate is pro-labour. Miller can no longer be accused of being tight with the unions.

As for Smitherman; this is the man who let the York strike drag on for 3 months. If that's what he would have done if he was Mayor, how would that please either the pro-union voters, or those who are simply frustrated about the strike?

I'm just not seeing this ...

Last edited:
^ I think you are mis-reading the situation. The public was pissed off that the strike happened and blamed Miller for it. That should not be taken as a pro or anti-union stance. If anything though the public does lean right on this. There was no poll at the time that showed support for the strikers. If anything the public was willing to hold out for a more favourable resolution. I don't get how that can be seen as being pro-labour.

Miller is proving unpopular because he has been ineffective. It's as simple as that. He's taken the stance for a while that a leftist mayor can bring peace with the unions, rein in labour costs and get things done. The public isn't buying the rhetoric any more. And the strike really showed how Miller's logic can fall on its face.

I don't have any formal polling data, but I got the feeling at the time that Miller's support was boosted by the strike. The Globe had a bunch of favorable editorials and op-eds, the Post sort of bit its' tongue (I think even Terrance Corocran wrote a column supporting the Mayor) and most comment favored him over the unions. A few people were pissed off that garbage was in parks, and a few people held the bizarrely oxymoronic position that not only was Miller too soft on unions, but that he should never have allowed a strike to occur either. There were always the Leo Panitchs of this world, but nobody ever really takes them seriously anyways. On the whole though, I got the feeling from most people that as long as Miller appeared committed to tackling CUPE they were on his side.

The problem was him, seemingly randomly, giving into most of CUPE's demands. It was sort of a stab in the back given that public support levels were generally in favor of continuing the strike.

The problem was him, seemingly randomly, giving into most of CUPE's demands. It was sort of a stab in the back given that public support levels were generally in favor of continuing the strike.
Though I got the other impression - and perhaps I missed something as I left town for a few weeks days before it settled. From what I could see, CUPE pretty much accepted the offer the city had made publicly a few weeks earlier, with the exception of the sick-day issue for existing employees, who can retain it if they wish, or take a buy-out and get a short-term disability plan.

As I don't think anyone realistically thought that the city was going to be able to get rid of the sick-bank without a payout or grandfathering. I'm not seeing anything else massively different between the city offer and the settlement ... the offer had an average 1.79% increase over 4 years, while the settlement had an average 1.87% increase over 3 years ... not a massive difference.

So I'm perplexed on where the anti-Millerism is coming from on this. The only think that is clear, is that Miller needs a better PR person.

pro-labour. If the electorate didn't turn on Miller until he went anti-labour, then surely the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the electorate is pro-labour.

I don't think so. I think the electorate didn't like the ill effects of the strike and liked it even less considering the city didn't win what they were fighting for. The electorate partly blamed Miller for the union's demands because their argument that other unions got better deals was fuelled by deals given under Miller's watch. During the strike the support for Miller was bad but it was still better than the support for the union. Had the city got what it was asking for the electorate, save for strong union supporters which I suspect are a small minority, would be more forgiving.

I think the electorate didn't like the ill effects of the strike and liked it even less considering the city didn't win what they were fighting for.
However, as I detalied in the post above yours, as far as I can see, the city achieve exactly what was expected.

However, as I detalied in the post above yours, as far as I can see, the city achieve exactly what was expected.

The city achieved what the Miller and his gang wanted to achieve. The problem for Miller is that the public didn't think the strike was worth the concessions from the unions. Regardless of how it played out, it was plainly obvious to anyone that by the end it had looked like Miller had caved.

And this is of Miller's own making. After all, he's the one who brought up the sick day issue as a way of saving money. When he didn't deliver, he ended up leaving the public confused and upset.

Miller is damaged...but

While I don't think anyone could fail to see that Miller's popularity is well off its highs....

I think before detailing that its important to say I don't believe its as low as recent polls seem to suggest.

In fact, I will argue the polls are in some ways so misleading that its hard to believe there is not a purposeful agenda on the part of the commissioning media outlets to create an anti-Miller sentiment.

What's Misleading:

2 of the recent polls were national! (hello, who in Victoria is voting in Toronto's elections??????)

One poll's Toronto subset was only 440 or so. With that kind of number your margins of error get quite high +/- 5 at least.

But wait there's more:

Some of the leading questions included: Is David Miller a GREAT Mayor?

Ask that type of question about ANY Canadian politician and they'd be ecstatic if they hit 40%, lower is likely.

Further, they took the latest poll in Mid-August, immediately following the strike.

Without defending the mayor, I think its quite reasonable to assume his current approval rating is more likely in the mid-high 30's

Further this is a one-horse race in which Miller has not been compared to any alternative. If approval rate were arguably the level of vote you might achieve, and vice versa (a premise I won't endorse)....then for the sake of argument what is John Tory's approval rating, based on the Conservative vote in the last election, or in the last by-election he contested?

Not better than 30'ish as I recall.

I don't think the Mayor suffers from having done anything overly bad. Everyone of us here could pick at a whole host of civic decisions (from Right, Left or Centre) and have a field day; but that's not really different than with the provincial or federal governments or other cities or the Lastman era.

Is he plagued by a serious scandal? No

Has he committed a terrible faux pas/Gaffe? No

Is he seen personally as a bad person or incompetent? No

And there is no one major issue (a toll, a massive tax hike, a major service cut) to lay at his doorstep.

Rather, I think he is suffering from a couple of things:

Two Term Itis. Many politicians suffer from over-exposure over a long period in office, and voters just grow weary and/or lose their passion for a particular pol.

Second, I think he's a victim of the high expectations he's set.....despite the fact I think he may deliver on many of them......he's late.

That is to say, he promised a gorgeous waterfront, and it looks for the first time ever, its happening.....he surely deserves at least some of the credit....but the slowness of the process means the big, visible projects will likely come on stream AFTER next year's election.

(ie. Queen's Quay, 1 or more bridges across the slips, Sherbourne Park etc.)

Similarly, the TTC has seen real improvements but most aren't highly visible, and the big ones, new subway lines/LRT wont' open for years, new streetcars don't arrive till 2012 etc. He will have the new Toronto Rocket Trains....but that's about it for highly visible.

Finally he's suffered from certain bureaucratic snafus.....notable the infernal screw-up on St. Clair and the A la Carte nonsense.

Both of the above could happen to any Mayor in as much as no one excepts the mayor to personally manage every city project.

But I think his failure to fire somebody for the screwups does damage him a bit.

Still, I think Miller is very vulnerable next year; but reports of his political demise are both premature and greatly exaggerated!

Last edited:

Back