News   Jul 25, 2024
 27     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 212     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 344     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

^ That's a valid point... which is why charisma is such an important quality in a mayor. While he can be a single vote on council, he represents the city and if he can get the public to support his vision, council will have to play along.

Despite Miller's good work in the background, getting cities nationwide behind his initiatives and negotiating with the province... his low charisma has prevented him from selling many of his ideas to the the public and to the majority of council.

Smitherman would be a departure from that for sure. Michael Thompson is also very charismatic.... and yes, it must be mentioned that the idea of Pinball Simmons as our mayor would definitely take the charisma meter through the roof of CityHall.

I was thinking Gene Simmons and Pinball Clemons..lol :p

Gene Simmons would make a wicked mayor! Every councillor would become a "Yes Man".

Inquiring minds want to know.
Well, this won't get much if any press and might not mean much to most people, but it still impressed me.

Pinball is a 1987 graduate of William & Mary University in Virginia, and at the invitation of his football coach (the same coach then as now), Clemons spoke to the team before their game Saturday at the University of Virginia.

Now, Virginia plays at the highest level of American college football (commonly known as 1-A) while William & Mary plays one tier below (1-AA), and 1-A teams almost always win when playing teams from the lower tier.

William & Mary, even with missing 3 field goals, went out and won the game 26-14, and generally dominated the game.

I'd love to hear a tape of that speech.

Never heard of him ... though ironically Wikipedia tells me that he is "one of the most popular professional athletes in the history of Toronto" ... though I never lived here in the 1990s ... perhaps it should be in the past-tense. It also tells me he lives in Oakville. I'm always amazed to find that City of Toronto hires employees who don't live in the city ... but presumably there are residency requirements for the mayor and councillors?

If we're going to go the celebrity-as-mayor route, I vote for Atom Egoyan. No one will really love his policies, but they'll be widely admired and, somehow, seem important.

Mayor's approval rating plummets: exclusive poll
A drastic shift in public support has sent Mayor David Miller’s approval ratings plummeting to record lows.

“I’ve been doing this for 20 years in the city,†said Ipsos-Reid pollster John Wright. “I have never seen political numbers like this, ever.â€

A poll conducted exclusively for Global News found the Mayor’s approval rating is an abysmal 29%. Toronto City Council, as a whole, fares even worse at just 27%.

The Ipsos-Reid poll of nearly 500 Torontonians was conducted two weeks after the municipal workers strike.

In a one-on-one interview with Global News, the Mayor questioned the timing of the survey.

“I think you did a poll immediately after a really unpopular and unnecessary strike, and (the numbers) reflect that,†said Miller.

While Miller dismissed the numbers, they could prove problematic.

The next municipal election is little more than a year away, and Wright warns the city is hungry for change.

“(Torontonians) basically want to clean house,†he said.

“They want the mayor and the city council gone.â€

The numbers may also play into the hands of potential mayoral contenders, including Deputy Premier George Smitherman, who Tuesday suggested he’s considering a run for Mayor in 2010.

The poll asked voters what they would like to see happen in the next municipal election.

79% said its time for someone else to be chosen as mayor.

When asked about the results, Miller again responded that “after a strike, nobody is surprised that people are concerned.â€

Zing. Stephan Dion levels of support.

Lol...

I think Mike in Scarborough can win now... ;)

Wow ... years of support being pro-union. And he goes a bit anti-union and he is crucified.

Who'd have thought that the electorate was so pro-Labour.

But doesn't this mean they need a candidate to the left of Miller; not a bit to the right?

Back