News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I don't believe that Rob is unintelligent. To the contrary. I believe that Miller, who has a degree in economics and is outright dismissive of the simplest principals of land economics, is unintelligent. Miller cares about how he is perceived, first and foremost.

In all honesty I think that the city could cut a billion in spending without much notice. Regarding commercial property taxes, I have had discussions over the years with people at the city, including the Mayor's office. While some insiders have given me info off the record and agree that this is THE issue facing Toronto, the Mayors office is very dismissive. If Rob is elected, I can guarantee that I can met with him and discuss the issue, and he will look into the the issue and address it.

I don't necessarily think he's unintelligent either. I do think he has problems with larger issues though. Show him a department's budget, give him a red pen and watch him go! But talk to him for 5 seconds about a macroeconomic issue and watch his eyes glaze over. Thankfully, because of his lack of understanding of such things, he has no ingrained opinions and could be lead down whatever path you chose. Throw in some catchy gravy-train style colloquialisms for him and Levy to feed to the public, and BAM, 0% biz tax!

I don't believe that Rob is unintelligent. To the contrary. I believe that Miller, who has a degree in economics and is outright dismissive of the simplest principals of land economics, is unintelligent. Miller cares about how he is perceived, first and foremost.

In all honesty I think that the city could cut a billion in spending without much notice. Regarding commercial property taxes, I have had discussions over the years with people at the city, including the Mayor's office. While some insiders have given me info off the record and agree that this is THE issue facing Toronto, the Mayors office is very dismissive. If Rob is elected, I can guarantee that I can met with him and discuss the issue, and he will look into the the issue and address it.

Miller understood and pointed out the disparity with commercial tax rates. He was smart enough to understand that politically council would never go for the substantial residential tax increase necessary to lower the commercial rate. Ford, who regards residential property tax increases as something of a personal 'Screw You' to taxpayers, isn't likely to feel any differently. You're putting all your chips on his claim that he can eliminate billions from the budget which will allow him room to decrease commercial taxes.

It us unlikely to happen. He's never been able to articulate where he'll cut to make this happen, and expense accounts aren't going to give him enough.

Not to stereotype immigrants but they tend to choose the populist candidate over the educated and polished one.

Most of Ford's support is from people who are voting for a candidate who will harm them the most. Transit? Cut. Social investment? Cut.

Maybe they're not as overly concerned with being politically correct as everyone else, and are not offended by the things he's said.

politically correct? this is not about referring to a "chairman" as a "chairperson".

No

As the children of immigrants, immigrants tend to care about politics more than the average person. It makes sense because these people are trying to start a new life in this great city, and want someone who can help them get settled. In this case, they don't want to be bombarded with taxes. Having lived in Brampton, Mississauga and Pickering I have seen many more "non-whites" and immigrant looking people rush to the polls than the peopel already living here.

Most of Ford's support is from people who are voting for a candidate who will harm them the most. Transit? Cut. Social investment? Cut.

What do you mean by cut transit. Is he going to cut back bus services and routes or anything of the sort?

Really? As in the current office won't even speak to you or address the issue / their plan ? I take it your in the industry though not just an average person ... no offense .. : )

Now, are you serious when you say you do think you could talk to Ford about it and he would address it ...... I know that's a very long term goal but still ... hmm, really ?

What do you mean by cut transit. Is he going to cut back bus services and routes or anything of the sort?

Toronto is on the verge of getting the biggest expansion of transit in 30s years backed by all the stakeholders and with a funding schedule. He will prevent that from going forward. Transit cut? You bet.

If he's serious about trimming the budget, cutbacks are to be expected. Off-peak transit cuts would not surprise me at all and certain routes will probably be serviced less frequently. If Transit City is cancelled, I don't expect any transit expansion, especially if Hudak wins next year and Ford realizes it's going to cost a lot more (and longer) than he's proposed in order to extend Sheppard.

Services will be cut or taxes will go up. The mythical formula of more service + less tax = balanced budget is illogical.

Last edited:
Miller understood and pointed out the disparity with commercial tax rates. He was smart enough to understand that politically council would never go for the substantial residential tax increase necessary to lower the commercial rate. Ford, who regards residential property tax increases as something of a personal 'Screw You' to taxpayers, isn't likely to feel any differently. You're putting all your chips on his claim that he can eliminate billions from the budget which will allow him room to decrease commercial taxes.

It us unlikely to happen. He's never been able to articulate where he'll cut to make this happen, and expense accounts aren't going to give him enough.

Right, this sounds very much on the spot ... again Glen, why do you think Ford will even attempt to fix this ... you think smitherman may do a much better job of it! As you said he's mentioned it a few times now - and I can see him cutting it - whatever it takes (if that's truely what he wants) ... I can't see Ford doing it though .....

Anti-Ford Members: Find positive points in Ford as Mayor

This question is to progressive and Anti-Ford members: If Ford wins on Monday, what positive can come out of this for us progressives?

Of course pro-Ford members are going to respond, but I'm looking for the perspective of those who don't want Ford to be Mayor.

Back