News   Jun 17, 2024
 170     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 220     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 353     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

As far as a candidate taking transit goes, Ford has said proudly that he enjoys commuting in his car and will never move to transit.

Like OMG, you are so full of it! Didn't Adam Giambrone, Chairman of the TTC and former Mayoral candidate, stiff the taxpayer for $5k in taxis last year just to travel over a couple city blocks paralleling the subway? Where's your condemnation and outrage over that?

Regardless, let's stop talking about transit as your mayoral candidate has no transit plan.

Keep deluding yourself into thinking that. I suppose it would make your contempt for conservative-minded Torontonians a more difficult pill to swallow if you had to admit to yourself that RF is coming out with an annoucement that will literally blow Transit City to kingdom come, and get it replaced with transitway corridors covering every inch of the city vs. a measly 51 kms of light rail.

At tonight's CP24 mayoral debate, Rob Ford said that his Toronto would be a "no refugee zone" and that he does not support plans to expand the city's population.

Thoughts and reactions?

"Thoughts and reactions?" Let see, like how low can the leftwing media and his opponents sink in its attempts to villify this person? Ford stated that the infrastructure can't hold up, with adding more and more people now. We have the mentally ill sleeping on the streets, the poor sleeping on the streets, people can't afford affordable housing, there are food banks, people are trying to make ends meet, roads are crumbling, the TTC is falling apart, sewers need replacing. Adding more people is just going to make things worse. What is wrong with fixing what we have before making grand visions for the future? And just to segue back into talking about transit for a sec, why does it have to take the introduction of a new transit mode for public transit to be improved? Why can't all-door boarding and transit signal lighting be optimized onto the existing 36 and 85 bus routes for instance? The average Joe doesn't care about modal choice, he cares about the timing of his commute, so that he can spend less time going from place to place and spend more time doing desired activities.

I can see Rob is really concerned for this city, he's not knocking immigration, he is telling it like it is. Either he has offended all of us, or the illusion of salience has convinced you that he meant something else other than what was articulated.

How can you have been here for so many years, and not even understand how Transit City is supposed to work?

Ford has stated that he wants to eliminate streetcars in Toronto. The guy is completely and totally deranged. Anyone who supports him, clearly doesn't support transit in Toronto.

I fail to understand why you pretent to support transit (or perhaps you only pretend to support Ford). Though I also don't understand why you continue to post here, after being banned using your other identities.

nfitz, if you had any proof don't you think I would've been banned awhile ago now? Please stop slandering me, you have been warned. I don't know why we're expected to treat every soundbyte the media documents about RF as absolute truisms, ones that don't allow for him to extrapolate upon his remarks. A "yes" or "nay" in Council chambers hardly qualifies as the whole unadulterated truth on an issue. Case in point, Paula Fletcher voting against the University Ave bike lanes but given the opportunity to recuse herself in the press. Why the double standard? If RF has a beef against surface light rail, he should be given a forum to explain why. Being anti-LRT (the product of the TTC's decades of mismanagement with them ingrained into my psyche, for one) doesn't make someone anti-transit. LRT for short-distance travel is great, but that's not what TC endorses and we both know that.

nfitz, if you had any proof don't you think I would've been banned awhile ago now?
About your multiple personalities? I assume the moderators know ... it's not hard to notice some of the same themes. I hadn't paid any attention though until I was googling something the other day ... and discovered only a handful of hits for the same phrase on the entire Internet ... one from Fresh Start, and one from one of your other personas.

"I can see Rob is really concerned for this city, he's not knocking immigration, he is telling it like it is"

Exactly. He wasn't saying immigration was a bad thing.

Only that with our city and the surrounding areas struggling with the current population explosion and the cracks in maintaining our infrastructure, he basically said that maybe, just maybe we should think about how we're going to support what we currently have before allowing another million plus people into the region.

He was telling it like it is. Someone, at some point has to be honest with the public and say the unpopular things. We can't support everyone and we can't take in everyone that shows up at our border.

Nothing. It's well known that Rob Ford is an anti-immigrant bigot, and I guess he thinks that attacking refugees might get him votes from other white supremacists.

You my friend, need to back that statement up with some real hard facts before anyone should actually consider seriously what you just posted about Ford being a anti-immigrant bigot.

Look, we can't take in every bloody person with a sob story that shows up at the border. Especially when the entire planet knows our iimmigration policies are a joke. People around the world are clearly exploiting this and we've become a laughing stock. There is a reason why this boat just showed up outside our border. We need to get tough with people wanting, no, demanding entry into our country and turn others away as we see fit.

This overly PC enviroment is just stifling common sense these days.

Last edited:
"I can see Rob is really concerned for this city, he's not knocking immigration, he is telling it like it is"

Exactly. He wasn't saying immigration was a bad thing.

Only that with our city and the surrounding areas struggling with the current population explosion and the cracks in maintaining our infrastructure, he basically said that maybe, just maybe we should think about how we're going to support what we currently have before allowing another million plus people into the region.

He was telling it like it is. Someone, at some point has to be honest with the public and say the unpopular things. We can't support everyone and we can't take in everyone that shows up at our border.

The problem is ... when a person known for a history of racism and bigotry starts suddenly talking about making Toronto a refugee-free zone, and stopping immigrants coming to Toronto, you know he's not doing this for the socio-economic betterment of the city.

But merely because he hates anyone who isn't his own skin colour ...

This overly PC enviroment is just stifling common sense these days.
Yeah ... it's a real bummer not being able to keep slaves any more, eh?

nfitz...... You're completely making it up that Ford is a racist and bigot.

Post some actual proof Ford has said obvious bigoted remarks and been proven to be a racist rather than your own interpretation. Just because you don't like the guy does not automatically make him the bogey man.

We shouldn't just take in any refugee without questioning where the money and services and infrastructure is going to come from to support them. Are you you going pony up and help with the costs? Are you personally going to take in a refugee and give them shelter? No? You just expect someone else to pick up the tab.

But when someone actually suggests that maybe we can't keep taking on more people, someone llike you comes along and starts the smear campaign. Actually, all you do is throw wild accusations around and slander people' names and reputations. That's your main tactic. And what the hell is up with your slavery comment? How does this even fit into this discussion?

You've accused Ford of being evil, of being bigoted, of being a racist, of hating non-whites and there is zero proof. Just your own twisted interpretation because the guy has views that are different from your own. So it's just easier to slander the man and make him out to be the most horrific human in history.

This city is collapsing beneath the sheer population explosion and we're struggling to maintain things. So when the future mayor of Toronto suggests that Toronto not become a dumping ground for more immigrants that we can hardly support, this isn't an attack against immigrants and what immigration means and how it's shaped this country. It's a call for rational discussion on how the hell do we keep doing this.

There is a limit on how many people we can take in. For some reason, people think we have unlimited resources and we can never say no.

Last edited:
I tend to believe that he had forgotten about that charge from his past. I forget things all the time until someone reminds me. Especially about incidents from the past regarding events and moments where I plain just forget.

Last edited:
Like OMG, you are so full of it!
Are you 12?

Didn't Adam Giambrone, Chairman of the TTC and former Mayoral candidate, stiff the taxpayer for $5k in taxis last year just to travel over a couple city blocks paralleling the subway? Where's your condemnation and outrage over that?
That says more about his ability to plan then the TTC.

The average Joe doesn't care about modal choice.
Yes they do.

Post some actual proof Ford has said obvious bigoted remarks and been proven to be a racist rather than your own interpretation.
There have been several remarks mentioned already in this thread. The remark about orientals a couple of years ago. His "refugee freeze" comments from 2003; his anti-immigrant comments on Tuesday; his anti-gay comments in 2006 "If you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn’t get AIDS probably, that’s the bottom line."; his appearance with and accepting support from well-known anti-gay bigot Wendell Brereton a couple of weeks ago.

These don't appear to be isolated gaffs, but simply evidence that he is a racist bigot.

Just because you don't like the guy does not automatically make him the bogey man.
No. It's his own racist and bigoted comments that make him the bogey man; not my dislike for him.

But when someone actually suggests that maybe we can't keep taking on more people, someone llike you comes along and starts the smear campaign. Actually, all you do is throw wild accusations around and slander people' names and reputations. That's your main tactic. And what the hell is up with your slavery comment? How does this even fit into this discussion?
I don't see how you call this smear and slander. It's all well documented. As for my slavery joke ... how far back in time do people want to go to be "polictically correct". It seems for some here, not being politically correct means having the ability to discriminate against people; how far do people want to take this?

Like OMG, you are so full of it! Didn't Adam Giambrone, Chairman of the TTC and former Mayoral candidate, stiff the taxpayer for $5k in taxis last year just to travel over a couple city blocks paralleling the subway? Where's your condemnation and outrage over that?
No he didn't. Why are you making this stuff up?

He charged $3,000 in taxi fares last year. What's that ... about 3 return trips a month? This from a guy who doesn't own a car, and has to appear all over the city. Clearly the vast bulk of his travel isn't by taxi. And as for stiffing ... as far as I recall only one, one-way trips appeared to be questionable. So no, I'm not going to condemn and be outraged about Giambrone stiffing us for $40 that he paid back.

How does this compare to travel expenses of other councillors?

What is so upsetting about "Oriental"?
There are classified ads and signs galore featuring the word "Oriental" in town. I think it is fair to assume that they are probably all owned and operated by folks of Chinese heritage. If they are not only not offended by the term but are proud of it what is anyone else worried about?

What is so upsetting about "Oriental"?
There are classified ads and signs galore featuring the word "Oriental" in town. I think it is fair to assume that they are probably all owned and operated by folks of Chinese heritage. If they are not only not offended by the term but are proud of it what is anyone else worried about?
The quote was "“Oriental people are slowly taking over”. If he had said "Asian people are slowly taking over" I'd also be concerned. How does it even cross ones mind to worry about which people are taking over?!?!?

Back