News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 717     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 710     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Is there any kind of NIMBY bullshit that you won't support? Seriously, now you're anti-windmill?

You mean to tell me that you are not aware of the health risks associated with living with proximity of wind turbines, not to mention a blight to an otherwise picturesque lakeshore? The only BS brewing is that Smitherfraud is even a serious contender for Mayor. I'd rather have a do-nothing for Mayor, than someone whom would adversely affect the quality of life for thousands of residents for generations to come.

Any more of a health risk than say, putting subways above ground? Or having gasoline powered leafblowers/lawnmowers? Or emissions from natural gas powerplants? Or diesel GO trains? Or using diesel buses instead of electric LRVs? Or fumes from excessive use of automobiles? Interesting how someone feigns concerns for "quality of life" when it suits their political agenda.

Perhaps RF is proposing to eliminate all of the above.

AoD

Last edited:
Any more of a health risk than say, putting subways above ground? Or having gasoline powered leafblowers/lawnmowers? Or emissions from natural gas powerplants? Or diesel GO trains? Or using diesel buses instead of electric LRVs? Or fumes from excessive use of automobiles? Interesting how someone feigns concerns for "quality of life" when it suits their political agenda.

Perhaps RF is proposing to eliminate all of the above.

AoD

But those things already exist, residents had prior knowledge of what to expect when they moved in. None of the above involves proposing to steamroll new infrastructure through stable neighbourhoods.

So? If you are so concerned about quality of life you should definitely campaigning to have all of the above banned or restricted. Need I remind you that you are also the one proposing new subways to be built above ground - there is nothing pre-existing about your stance on that one. You certainly didn't sound overly concerned about steamrolling new infrastructure through stable neighbourhoods when it suits your beliefs.

AoD

Last edited:
You mean to tell me that you are not aware of the health risks associated with living with proximity of wind turbines, not to mention a blight to an otherwise picturesque lakeshore?
WHAT? Where do you get this stuff? You sound like my great-grandmother who when watching Sputnik fly over, said it was faked.

A quick bit of research and...
"wind turbine syndrome" is borderline bullshit. The few studies that have been done are extremely limited, nothing resembling a double-blind has been attempted, nor have the individual components been isolated and studied. The symptoms are identical to those of chronic sleep loss, aka living so close that the noise (or the NIMBY stress, or 'syndrome' placebo effect) keeps you from sleeping well.

As for the aesthetics, isn't that just a matter of taste? I happen to think they look amazing.

To put a link to it, this report by the Chief Medical Officer of Health for Ontario concludes:

The review concludes that while some people living near wind turbines report symptoms such as dizziness, headaches, and sleep disturbance, the scientific evidence available to date does not demonstrate a direct causal link between wind turbine noise and adverse health effects. The sound level from wind turbines at common residential setbacks is not sufficient to cause hearing impairment or other direct health effects, although some people may find it annoying.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ministry_reports/wind_turbine/wind_turbine.pdf

But, hell, maybe it's a government conspiracy?

To be perfectly honest with you, that is the same line of thinking that I had, only the inverse motive: "anybody but Smitherfraud", that turned me away from supporting Sarah Thomson and gravitate towards Ford. For me, I just can't chance the centre-right splitting enough between Thomson/Rossi/Ford to allow either Pantalone or Smtherman to win.

Oh what kind of BS is that? It's clear from reading your posts that you're part of the rabid right, who thinks Bush was too Liberal. Anybody who worships Sue Ann Levy is anything but central right. (not to mention one-issue, Ford) Must be nice living in that log cabin. It's time to break out of that closet and embrace your tea party tendencies.

Last edited:
As far as I can muster this election has two main issues for Torontonians.........................taxes/gov't spending and transit.
This is why I think {and hope} that Smitherman has lost his chance. He doesn't seem to take City Hall's spending habits as too much of an issue. That may get him some support with the left but he will also lose some of that support due to his irrational transit plan. It makes you wonder if the guy has ever evn taken transit or has any understanding of transportation/urban planning. The two subway expansions he has are probably the near last ones on the priority list, he wants a tunnel for Eglinton but LRT and says nothing about what he will deliver what it merges out of the tunnel and onto city streets. He will continue the Sheppard streetcar and will bankrupt the system by giving away transit for seniors regardless of their income in a system already bleeding red ink.
Ford resonates with a lot of people including myself but the real numbers of support will be after he announces his transit plan.

Speaking as some one who tends to lean centre-right I think Ford would be a disaster. I think we need some one to make tough financial decisions and get the City's budget back in order but Ford may talk a lot about that but his personality would never be able to get it done. Beyond all else he is combative and a fighter and some one who likes to push around his weight, which is something a good mayor can not be. The mayor only has one vote on council and therefore having an ability to work with others and come to a consensus is a must in order to ever actually get anything done. Again speaking as some one from the centre-right, I think we need some one like Rossi or Smitherman who can hopefully act as a consensus builder, Ford would be a disaster and divide council and never get a single thing done despite all his talking.

That's not to mention all the other obvious negatives that come with Ford. Consider the amount of times he's been humiliated on the public stage. And this is as a councilor up in North Etobicoke. Imagine what it will be like with the spot light constantly on him for four years. I don't want some one with that potential to be the face of Toronto.

As far as I can muster this election has two main issues for Torontonians.........................taxes/gov't spending and transit.
This is why I think {and hope} that Smitherman has lost his chance. He doesn't seem to take City Hall's spending habits as too much of an issue. That may get him some support with the left but he will also lose some of that support due to his irrational transit plan. It makes you wonder if the guy has ever evn taken transit or has any understanding of transportation/urban planning. The two subway expansions he has are probably the near last ones on the priority list, he wants a tunnel for Eglinton but LRT and says nothing about what he will deliver what it merges out of the tunnel and onto city streets. He will continue the Sheppard streetcar and will bankrupt the system by giving away transit for seniors regardless of their income in a system already bleeding red ink.
Ford resonates with a lot of people including myself but the real numbers of support will be after he announces his transit plan.

As far as a candidate taking transit goes, Ford has said proudly that he enjoys commuting in his car and will never move to transit.

??? That makes no sense. Ford has spoken in the past of reducing bus and streetcar service. Why would he present a transit plan? Surely he'll do nothing, except perhaps announce that he'll have a couple of 100% provincially-funded subways.

We all know based on his past promises that Ford will push for reductions in the current bus and streetcar services ... and announcing this during the election will only loose him votes of the naive and gullible who seem to think Ford is anything other than the anti-transit person he is.

If Ford becomes mayor, people on the same side of the political spectrum (i.e. Thompson) would be constantly rolling their eyes.

Last edited:

Back