News   Jul 15, 2024
 681     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 857     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

The next mayor of Toronto will be.............

DAVID MILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to tell you folks the anti-Miller are the vocal minority. There are focus groups all across the city and Miller's popularity is unparalleled. He's even got an entire other city singing his praises (T-Bay) he exposed the Feds for exactly what they are (Neo Cons who hate Toronto) and he will continue as Mayor of Toronto until he feels like retiring. This man is a fantastic representation of Toronto on the world stage (unlike Harper who is a George Bush wanna be who hugs kittens for photo ops and much worse).

Probably not as rare as you think. I am a Conservative who's really knowledgeable and passionate about urban living and promoting it.

Good for you, that POV is rare indeed in a con.

My views are pro transit, pro intensification, pro city living, pro diversity, anti suburb.

Commendable.

Yet at the same time, my views are also down with unions, down with free loaders, down with the bloated and abused social housing and welfare systems, down with over taxation, and down with wasteful government spending. If a candidate came to the table with that platform, who here would vote for them?

Down with unions? Unions and boards have saved Canada from being a monoculture for Monsanto and Delmonte. The family farm has been eradicated in the US because of those corporations, smaller farms still exist in Canada only because of boards & unions. Did U see the TO Star headline on strawberries recently? Unless you actually enjoy ingesting methyl bromide I suggest none of us buy California strawberries ever again. Methyl Bromide is banned in Canada for farming use, but not in the US. So it doesn't stop them from selling it to us.

Bloated & abused social housing?? We literally need MORE affordable housing, not ridiculously overpriced and stupidly over-designed condos.

What does the government waste $$ on? Harper spending too much on mani/pedis? I'd say he spends much to much on the military. That could go, so maybe I agree with you there.

I voted for Jane Pitfield last time around. Despite being a right wing candidate, it was she and not Miller who supported 1 or 2 km of subway construction each year.

One or 2 km will get you nowhere in a city (the physical size and population expansion) the size of Toronto. And where is Pitfield today? She doesn't even live in Toronto. We're talking hypocrisy Mel Lastman stylee and wasn't he a small-c conservative who governed the city for some time totally ineffectively.

You know, I truly hate the garbage strike. I also truly hate parks & rec being on strike. I think it's completely useless & pointless in the big picture. But Miller as a supposedly pro-union mayor - isn't just letting the unions get what they want either!! Don't you people see this? There wouldn't be a strike right now if Miller had given in to their current demands. Instead you people are blaming Miller for the strike. That CFRB article is summarizing like this: "City is on strike, blame Miller. Miller's popularity drops."

I see it more as the unions trying to push their weight with a supposedly friendly pro-union mayor and the mayor is standing up for the conditions under which they find themselves. Namely the biggest cultural and economic generator in all of Canada, which has to go begging to the Feds for money because of the antiquated taxation system, and the Feds being cons, hate Toronto so they take every opportunity to take a hatchet to us. It's a broken system. I'd love it if it were the other way around. Or maybe another model could be a macrocosm of the BIA system here in Toronto, the BIA's get to decide how they spend their money to beautify and improve their own areas. Toront should get to decided that it needs to spend more money on the transit system and doesn't have to depend on other political levels to get it done. Toronto knows what it needs and should get it. Same with any other municipality. I have no idea what other cities need but they do.

Toronto shouldn't have to beg for it's own money from the Feds. Let's fix this somehow. I think it means more power to the municipalities. And much less to the federal government.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toronto shouldn't have to beg for it's own money from the Feds. Let's fix this somehow. I think it means more power to the municipalities. And much less to the federal government.

City of Toronto is falling off the same cliff as General Motors

The workers enjoy perks that others can only dream of. The well-paid executives avoid making tough decisions. The organization has lost touch with those it serves and become a sprawling, self-perpetuating bureaucracy. The whole vast enterprise is drifting toward the rocks.

All of this was said of General Motors a year or two ago. It could just as easily be said of the City of Toronto today. Toronto is the GM of Canadian governments, heading for ruin, knowing it but lacking any credible plan to save itself.

The strike that started this week is only the latest sign of trouble. Mayor David Miller blames the city's worsening financial state on the recession. With revenues down, the city is trying to cut labour costs by wringing concessions from the unions.

But, as with GM, the recession is merely the straw that broke the camel's back. Like GM, Toronto has been storing up trouble for years.

More.........http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-same-cliff-as-general-motors/article1197951/

Last edited:
Down with unions? Unions and boards have saved Canada from being a monoculture for Monsanto and Delmonte. The family farm has been eradicated in the US because of those corporations, smaller farms still exist in Canada only because of boards & unions. Did U see the TO Star headline on strawberries recently? Unless you actually enjoy ingesting methyl bromide I suggest none of us buy California strawberries ever again. Methyl Bromide is banned in Canada for farming use, but not in the US. So it doesn't stop them from selling it to us.

What the hell? Did you just finish reading Noam Chomsky or something? Family farms don't exist for the same reason family business in general don't, labor specialization leading to lower prices. Who benefits from lower food prices, poor people, who now spend an all time low portion of their salary on costs of living. Thanks, Monsanto, for making sure I don't have to grow turnips or pick seeds out of a watermelon.

Bloated & abused social housing?? We literally need MORE affordable housing, not ridiculously overpriced and stupidly over-designed condos.

Poor people can't afford any housing. Period. The costs of simply putting up a structure that would pass building codes would exceed what low income residents could afford. It's a demand side issue, so we can build as many low cost units as we want. All it will do is screw with the housing market and create localized pools of poverty and crime. If you wanted to help poor people you would just give them money and let them live where they wanted as opposed to some government run patronage tool forcing them to live where you want.

What does the government waste $$ on? Harper spending too much on mani/pedis? I'd say he spends much to much on the military. That could go, so maybe I agree with you there.

E-Health? Booth monkeys earning 100+k a year? Auto bailouts to fat unionists? Waste has somehow gone from being an open secret to a glorified mark of progressiveness, apparently.

From Adam Radwanski

Shortly after his party had been punted from its one term of power, the first NDP premier in Ontario's history recalled the dark day he lost patience with the unions.

Bob Rae believed he had done as much as possible for organized labour, including banning the use of replacement workers during legal strikes. But in 1992, when he began signalling his government's intention to rein in costs, he was met with a vicious speech by Canadian Auto Workers president Buzz Hargrove, accusing the NDP of selling out.

Mr. Rae responded with a profanity-laced tirade. “Something in me snapped that day,†he wrote in his 1996 autobiography, From Protest to Power . “My resentment at the lack of perspective, the lack of solidarity, the absence of any sense of responsibility for the financial (and political) health of the government, the sense of a never-ending series of demands that would always be disappointed welled over. I lost it in that swearing match with Hargrove...â€

David Miller is experiencing his Bob Rae moment of truth. If the first quasi-NDP mayor in the brief history of the amalgamated city of Toronto hasn't yet lost it with a union leader, he soon might.

After years of labour-friendly policies, Mr. Miller has backed into a fight with striking indoor and outdoor workers – a scrap he would clearly prefer not to be in, as evidenced by his uneasiness crossing picket lines. But his quandary is unavoidable – if not due to the potential swarm of right-of-centre challengers for next year's mayoral election, then because his city is simply out of money.

In the 11 years since the provincial government merged Toronto's six former municipalities while forcing them to pay for more social programs, the city has faced an annual struggle to balance its budget. But its mayors have been able to stick to their campaign promises – a tax freeze for Mel Lastman, spending increases for Mr. Miller – by relying on bail-outs from the province.

That well is drying up. Dalton McGuinty's government, already committed to absorbing the cost of some city-funded social programs, faces its own large deficit. It also wants to make specific infrastructure investments for which it receives credit. And there are many within the Premier's circle – including, by some accounts, the Premier himself – who have grown weary of Mr. Miller's act.

Any other year, this would be a problem. Heading into 2010, it's a potential catastrophe. Recession costs, notably increased demand for welfare payments caused by rising unemployment, mean that the prediction of a $350-million budgetary shortfall may actually be optimistic.

Mr. Miller's fight with Locals 79 and 416 of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, which represent garbage collectors, daycare workers, and various other municipal employees, is his first attempt to confront this reality. “From a fiscal perspective, it absolutely is a watershed moment,†says Carol Wilding, the chief executive officer of the Toronto Board of Trade.

Denzil Minnan-Wong, one of several conservative city councillors who might run against Mr. Miller in 2010, can scarcely contain his glee. “This mayor and council have been putting it off,†he says of cutting expenditures. “And the economic recession has basically told the city that you can't put it off any longer – your day of reckoning has arrived.â€

Mr. Miller badly needs a symbolic victory to set a precedent and prove his commitment to restraint. The problem is that there is little chance his organized-labour friends will yield.

No union leader who wishes to keep his job will give up a hard-won benefit such as the ability to carry over and eventually cash out up to 18 sick days per year – the hot-button issue of the dispute. Workers won't clamour to accept a pay freeze after watching other city employees receive three per cent raises. If anyone blinks, it will be Mr. Miller.

Even if the province eventually legislates the strikers back to work, CUPE might emerge with the upper hand. Arbitrators do not typically resolve labour disputes by taking away benefits unions won in previous negotiations.

They also rely on what other unions are settling for these days, which would probably mean pay raises. So Mr. Miller would emerge from a lengthy work stoppage with very little to show for it, except the annoyance of Torontonians.

Unless Mr. McGuinty could be persuaded to bail out the city yet again, the city would enter next year's budget season in an appalling state, its shortfall having been increased rather than diminished by the new deal.

Mr. Miller would then face a whole range of unpalatable options in an election year. Raise taxes, again? Cut program spending? Conduct a fire sale of assets?

For Mr. Miller, the consolation prize should be demolishing the union in a public-relations battle – one union leaders aren't really bothering to fight, because they only need the support of their own members. But Mr. Miller isn't really bothering to fight it, either; often, as when issuing stern warnings to residents about dumping their garbage, he seems as much on the side of the strikers as the rest of the city.

It is admirable that Mr. Miller does not wish to compromise his principles by union-bashing. It is also self-destructive.

Sneaking into City Hall through back doors does not convey a sense of ownership. He declines to be interviewed for articles such as this one, for fear of souring negotiations. (So, too, does Shelley Carroll, the chair of council's budget committee.)

His rivals – with the notable exception of John Tory, the former Progressive Conservative leader considering a second run at the mayoralty – are not so circumspect.

“He has not been standing up every day talking with the people of Toronto about what this strike means,†says Karen Stintz, another councillor jockeying to be the flag bearer for the centre-right. “I don't know what he wants from this. He's not been visible, and he hasn't told us.â€

If labour leaders looked at the big picture, they might consider where this is headed. Their battles with Mr. Rae not only helped defeat him, they also helped elect Mike Harris, who took union-busting measures Mr. Rae would not have dreamed of. Were they to throw Mr. Miller a bone, they might help avoid a municipal equivalent of the same phenomenon.

Mr. Rae, for one, is not optimistic about a win for the Mayor. “It's hard to see CUPE culture changing much – concessionary bargaining is not something they will accept,â he says now. “Read From Protest to Power. It's all in there.â€

If not 2010 then the election after that. Miller's days are numbered. He got more tax raising powers and more transit funding than any mayor in recent memory (and probably national history). And he squandered that growing the city's workforces, giving them raises and building less than optimal transit. Once McGuinty loses his penchant for bailing out Miller, the mayor is going to be in a world of hurt. The raise for city coincillors was the first of many terrible mistakes.

One or 2 km will get you nowhere in a city (the physical size and population expansion) the size of Toronto.
Expanding every year will get you plenty. And with the recent increase in Provincial transit investment (and, who knows, maybe some help from the Feds), we could have gotten even more.

You know, I truly hate the garbage strike. I also truly hate parks & rec being on strike. I think it's completely useless & pointless in the big picture. But Miller as a supposedly pro-union mayor - isn't just letting the unions get what they want either!! Don't you people see this? There wouldn't be a strike right now if Miller had given in to their current demands. Instead you people are blaming Miller for the strike. That CFRB article is summarizing like this: "City is on strike, blame Miller. Miller's popularity drops."
Whatever else he may be, Miller is no fool. An early settlement in this economy would have seen him lambasted far and wide for appeasing the union with a quick fix. But his problem now is he still could get some of that criticism depending on how this is settled.

And where is Pitfield today? She doesn't even live in Toronto.

Is that true? I thought that, as the local historian, Pitfield would have been practically symbiotic with Leaside. (And didn't she do a Jane's Walk there or something?)

City of Toronto is falling off the same cliff as General Motors

The workers enjoy perks that others can only dream of. The well-paid executives avoid making tough decisions. The organization has lost touch with those it serves and become a sprawling, self-perpetuating bureaucracy. The whole vast enterprise is drifting toward the rocks.

All of this was said of General Motors a year or two ago. It could just as easily be said of the City of Toronto today. Toronto is the GM of Canadian governments, heading for ruin, knowing it but lacking any credible plan to save itself.

The strike that started this week is only the latest sign of trouble. Mayor David Miller blames the city's worsening financial state on the recession. With revenues down, the city is trying to cut labour costs by wringing concessions from the unions.

But, as with GM, the recession is merely the straw that broke the camel's back. Like GM, Toronto has been storing up trouble for years.

More.........http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-same-cliff-as-general-motors/article1197951/

Whatevs, because the idea of equating a city with a corporate structure is totally asinine!!!

The last poll actually put Tory ahead of Miller, and "neither" in front of both of them.

Neither: 39%
Tory: 34%
Miller: 27%

If John Tory wants to come back for some MORE punishment, then he's more than welcome to run for mayor!! :D

What the hell? Did you just finish reading Noam Chomsky or something? Family farms don't exist for the same reason family business in general don't, labor specialization leading to lower prices. Who benefits from lower food prices, poor people, who now spend an all time low portion of their salary on costs of living. Thanks, Monsanto, for making sure I don't have to grow turnips or pick seeds out of a watermelon.

I say tomatoe you say tomahto.

Poor people can't afford any housing. Period. The costs of simply putting up a structure that would pass building codes would exceed what low income residents could afford. It's a demand side issue, so we can build as many low cost units as we want. All it will do is screw with the housing market and create localized pools of poverty and crime. If you wanted to help poor people you would just give them money and let them live where they wanted as opposed to some government run patronage tool forcing them to live where you want.

Dude, that's no reason to NOT have more affordable housing, simply because poor people can't afford it. That's fallacy. It means we as a society have to create conditions under which people of all levels of wealth can afford to live decently. It bothers me that a rich first world country like Canada has any poverty at all. And don't get me started on the atrocious way we've treated the First Nations.

E-Health? Booth monkeys earning 100+k a year? Auto bailouts to fat unionists? Waste has somehow gone from being an open secret to a glorified mark of progressiveness, apparently.

Oh yeah e-health was a total fiasco. I agree with you there for sure, What a joke and money down the drain. That woman and her bosses deserve jail time. However, I take issue with you describing the federal corporate bailout of US corporations GM and whatever other car companies as a "union-bailout" those workers aren't getting anything except a heart transplant on a 85 year old body. The American CEO's of these companies are getting the big payouts and they are not part of any union whatsoever.

Is that true? I thought that, as the local historian, Pitfield would have been practically symbiotic with Leaside. (And didn't she do a Jane's Walk there or something?)

She lives in Lawrence Park and is still actively involved in the Leaside Community and attends my church every Sunday. I don't know where Seymour pulled that out of.

The Place in Caledon is her summer home/cottage.

Back