News   May 08, 2024
 136     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 405     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 616     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

There is a major difference between selling ones possessions and selling items as a business. The "MarketPlace" here is the former other is the latter. Do you think that UT would allow BestBuy to use the market place repeatedly for free?

You're suggesting the people selling one off items from their table are actually retailers in disguise, with warehouses full of merchandise?
That's quite a stretch, but I guess you needed to to make your point, as weak as it may be.

Though again, I think there is something-or-other regarding sales at private residences--mostly because there's a crass "professional garage saler" nuisance factor to neighbours having a garage sale every weekend.

But apartments...I'd grant a free-for-all allowance.

Isn't that how Toronto's best neighbourhood, Kensingtom Market, started?

This practice still exists there. On a summer weekend Kensington is full of people with layed-out-sheets full of assorted junk, folding tables of jewelery, books lining the sidewalks, etc. Spadina is the same; with dozens of unlicensed vendors offering weird vegetables that have never been in my kitchen, random stickers, sunglasses, potted plants, and all manner of things. None of the store owners seem to mind.

Ford is being a dick. This actually smells a tad of racist dick, or maybe it's just classist dick.

If Rob Ford went there and did nothing, the Toronto Star columnist would have accused him of endorsing criminal behaviour, which innocuous or not is precisely what they were doing, breaking the law.

People. People! PEOPLE! Can we please stop all this yammering and agree that, if there is a victim in this episode, it's obviously Rob Ford.

One solid week can't go by without someone trying to crucify Ford's reputation; they're that threatened by the prospect that their leeching on the public's dime is coming to an end.

I'm so confused by this statement. Who are the "they" whose "leeching on the public's dime" will be ended by Ford the Conqueror? How does this story about Ford being a douchebag (surprise!) relate to the "leeches"?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontomayoralrace/article/817204--is-john-tory-being-wooed-to-run#article

TORONTO STAR
Is John Tory being wooed to run?
June 01, 2010

Vanessa Lu

After all the twists and turns of the 2010 Toronto mayor’s race, could another horse be jumping back in?

Speculation is rampant at city hall that John Tory — who had widely been expected to run but declined in January to throw his hat in the ring — is being courted again to reconsider, a signal that influential people are unhappy with the current field.

Candidates to date include former provincial politician George Smitherman, Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone, Councillor Rob Ford and former Heart and Stroke Foundation chief Rocco Rossi.

Several city councillors were approached last week about whether they would be willing to endorse Tory, the former leader of the provincial Tories, who has chosen instead to host a radio talk show and lead the nonpartisan Toronto City Summit Alliance.

Councillor Peter Milczyn said he has not been called by Tory himself, but others have asked. “I said if he did it, that would be interesting. That was who I was inclined to support,†he said.

However, Milczyn is not convinced Tory would jump back in, noting the former Rogers executive attended Milczyn’s May fundraiser in Etobicoke and told those who were urging him to run that he wouldn’t be running.

“I’m not that close to John Tory, but I think he’s made his decision,†Milczyn said.

Councillor Case Ootes said he has asked colleagues about Tory out of his own curiosity.

“I think people are disappointed with the field,†Ootes said, adding that while Ford has a strong fiscal message, he would have difficulty getting 23 votes on city council to get legislation approved. “You can’t stray too far from the centre,†Ootes said.

When reached in Europe on Monday, where Tory is attending his daughter Susan’s medical school graduation, he declined to comment on the rumours.

Observers say that if Tory changes his mind, there’s still plenty of time for him to jump back in, given his name recognition, noting it would be easy to raise the campaign funds.

Others say Tory is happy with his life outside of politics, where his radio gig gives him the freedom to speak out on issues of the day, and earlier this spring, he accepted a position on the board of Rogers Communications.

We've already elected a comedian
2006_10_15_lastman.jpg

Never again.

Never again--quite so, although Lastman was more jokey salesman schtick than real comedy. But the current 2010 candidates are not exactly confidence enhancing either.

A quick change of subject, for some municipal election entertainment before we all die of frustration: Reykjavik has elected a new mayor, a stand-up comedian Jon Gnarr Kristinsson . His party's promotional music video is quite amusing--does Toronto's municipal politics need something similar? A shot in the arm or in the head?

At least he promises the best. All we have here are sycophantic polliticians ready to accept all the glass and steel highrise monstrosities that someone can make a buck from. Any candidate who claims to represent change, only pushes hot button issues like smashing unions or putting cyclists in their place.

I was out last night with Joe Pantalone, I signed up to help him hand out flyers to the crowd at Ashbridges before the fireworks. It was my first time meeting him, and I was pretty impressed. The crowd was very friendly too.

What endeared him most to me, was that after the event, when Joe needed to get home from the Beaches, he didn't consider driving or taking a cab. Instead I walked him over to Hambly and left the deputy mayor waiting for the Main St. bus to take him up to the subway.

I'm glad he has the time to spend 1.5 hours on the street car....

FYI... you know that's all for optics right? ...

. He wants to cut the city's affordable housing budget by subsidizing market rate rentals for low income people, but, again, how? How do you stop this from just being a big boon for slumlords?

It's no vision aside from saving money. Is that the kind of city we want?

Yes, it sounds ideologically 'wrong' to be padding the private sector landlords... but building '1000' units a year still doesn't put people into homes right away... it's a solution. And have you ever been in Toronto Public housing? Have you seen the apartments that are open market? A bleeding heart and throwing money really isn't good enough for me anymore... I would like to see results.

it's a solution to put people into homes temporarily....

And yes, Ford might not have a 'vision', but visions cost money, and unfortunately, the city has forgotten to fund 'current' projects like our community centres and swiming pools in the name of 'progress and vision''.

And have you ever been in Toronto Public housing? Have you seen the apartments that are open market?

Yes, I've seen a two bedroom two story townhouse occupied by a single able bodied employed young male for the past 3 years....while others wait.

Yes, I've seen a two bedroom two story townhouse occupied by a single able bodied employed young male for the past 3 years....while others wait.

Agreed! Thats' also the problem with an over zelous 'social' policy. It gets taken advantage of, but it also encourages complacency instead of innovation and ambition.

But the reality is that there will always be a segment of population that will require social assitance, even if they don't need it. It's really about proping them up so society as a whole is better. Some people will never want to work if they can mooch of the government, just like some people will never bike but rather sit in traffic.

It's striking a balance that can be sustained, unfortunately, this governent has fallen off that keele of that middle ground.

Time to kick them.. and the rest of the councillors to the curb!

FYI... you know that's all for optics right? ...

It wasn't, and that's what impressed me. We left before the end of the fireworks, so the street and the bus stop were deserted. No one, other than myself, would have known if he'd just hoped in a cab.

Naive n'est pas?

all those people he'll meet on that street car etc?

But since you're already in his camp, working and drinking from the same cool-aid jug. I can totally understand your perspective.

Back