News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I saw this ad while browsing randomly on the web (specifically it was on Slate.com):

4647807843_58c6187bcc_m.jpg

While Rossi should get some kudos for running an aggressive web campaign. The blatant dishonesty of this ad really bothers me. Rossi is about as much of a political insider as you can get. He was national director of Liberal party fundraising and managed John Tory's campaign for mayor.

While I don't think much of Thomson, she is a serious candidate and not far in the polls behind Rossi. She is the real outsider and it seems haughty and presumptuous for Rossi to just dismiss her like this.

What a little prick, that Ford is. Why doesn't he keep his nose out of wards that aren't his. People who live in houses have garage sales all the time, so why can't the people in St. Jamestown do the same thing in their own neighbourhood? Would he rather see this junk go into a landfill site? I think it makes the neighbourhood more colourful, friendly and interesting. (safer too, putting more eyes on the street) I quite enjoy it, which is more than I can say for Rob (shit-disturber) Ford!

At least when you have a citizen complaint and need a city councillor's assistance, he answers the damn phone and actually does something, which is more than I can say about 90% of his peers. Maybe if elected representatives actually lived up to their job titles and represent the public interests for a change, people like Rob Ford wouldn't need to intervene on our behalf.

^ Sometimes not doing something when pressured by consitutents is showing real leadership. Things the city does are going to piss people off, if the mayor acted on every complaint nothing would ever be done.

Fresh Start:

Maybe if elected representatives actually lived up to their job titles and represent the public interests for a change, people like Rob Ford wouldn't need to intervene on our behalf.

Which public is he representing - the ones making the complaints, or the ones who are using that space for what appears to be an obviously innocuous purpose? Just saying.

AoD

Fresh Start:

Which public is he representing - the ones making the complaints, or the ones who are using that space for what appears to be an obviously innocuous purpose? Just saying.

AoD

There are quite a number of stores in Toronto that sell used stuff. You know, as well as I that they pay a hefty taxes (property, sales, etc.), to do so. Rightfully they should object to others whom can sell to the public without such a burden.

There are quite a number of stores in Toronto that sell used stuff. You know, as well as I that they pay a hefty taxes (property, sales, etc.), to do so. Rightfully they should object to others whom can sell to the public without such a burden.

I guess garage sales should be shut down then too, not to mention lemonade stands (unless those kids want to start paying their darn taxes!).

I guess garage sales should be shut down then too, not to mention lemonade stands (unless those kids want to start paying their darn taxes!).

If you neighbour was having a weekly/daily sale, then yes. It should be shut down.

Do you think the "Marketplace" forum here at UrbanTornto should be shut down as well?

There is a major difference between selling ones possessions and selling items as a business. The "MarketPlace" here is the former other is the latter. Do you think that UT would allow BestBuy to use the market place repeatedly for free?

Glen said:

Glen said:
There is a major difference between selling ones possessions and selling items as a business.

We don't actually know if there have been any objections from business, all we know is that Rob Ford and one unidentified individual objected. Even if there were objections from business (or more appropriately, vendors, who don't pay property taxes for their business operations), we can choose to accept or reject them. Such an evaluation results in an expression of one's character. For threatening to fine a group of individuals selling their possessions, which are largely junk, without the proper permit, which they cannot afford, Rob Ford's character is clear. He's an ass.

Fresh Start:

AoD

If Rob Ford went there and did nothing, the Toronto Star columnist would have accused him of endorsing criminal behaviour, which innocuous or not is precisely what they were doing, breaking the law.

One solid week can't go by without someone trying to crucify Ford's reputation; they're that threatened by the prospect that their leeching on the public's dime is coming to an end.

If you neighbour was having a weekly/daily sale, then yes. It should be shut down.

Actually, I think there *is* some kind of law to that affect...though pertaining more to private residences than St James Town/Moss Park-esque "common zones"...

It's the rules and regulations types, like yourself, who give Toronto the "anal retentive" reputation. Maybe it's time to chill out and get rid of all that regulation and red tape. We all know how well it worked for Toronto's new food carts. Would it really kill retail to let a few low income people sell their stuff in their own neighbourhoods? Might it put Eaton Centre stores out of business? It's not like most St. Jamestown residents can afford a store or even would know how to run one. This happens all over Asia and most North Americans love it. Anyway, most of the people buying items are probably poor themselves and couldn't afford to pay high prices. If it keeps junk out of landfill sites, is it really so bad? Toronto needs some messy retail to go along with it's messy urbanism. Isn't that how Toronto's best neighbourhood, Kensingtom Market, started?

This whole story just confirms my guy feeling about Rob Ford. He could care less about people, especially the poor. All his good deeds were/are self serving actions, to help him reach his goal of becoming mayor. His voting record and actions at city hall, speak for themself.

Last edited:

Back