News   Apr 18, 2024
 688     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Just an update on West Elm's location... A poster has gone up in the windows announcing the 1st canadian location... Which will be in Liberty Village! In the old barrymoore furniture building.

This is going to be a great location and a great asset to Liberty Village!

Vaughan Mills

they opened:
a Hugo Boss factory store
Armani Exchange (its terrible, im pretty sure its an outlet eve though it doesnt say.)
Chaps
Jean machine
Marciano
Calvin Klein Jeans outlet

Opening Soon:
Stylesense??? dont know what it is.
BestBUy Mobile
Gap Factory Store
Bananna Republic outlet store
FOx (?? the webstie describes them as a "hot" european brand)

I never liked this mall. all the things are old ugly and big. :( i dont understand how not only still in business, but they keeping adding stores.

because it attracts a ton of people from East Brampton and North Toronto and people in York Region itself.

And unlike Canada's Wonderland, it's free. Or the CNE, for that matter. And unlike either, it's a 12-month-a-year proposition--and less decrepit, chintzy, etc...

I decided to e-mail the Toronto Eaton Centre. Here's what I got...

Thank you for your interest in Toronto Eaton Centre. The construction taking place in the former JJ Muggs space is for a new restaurant scheduled to open in the summer or fall of 2009.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Patrick Nurse
Manager, Tenant Relations
Toronto Eaton Centre

Wow, it's going to take a whole year to construct this restaurant???

Hollie Shaw, Financial Post Published: Tuesday, October 14, 2008

TORONTO -- Opening an eco-gift store at which one can spend $30 on beeswax kids' crayons in the midst of an historic economic crisis might deter some retailers, but not Heather Reisman.

The chief executive of Indigo Books and Music Inc. on Tuesday launched her latest store concept, Pistachio, in a tony north Toronto neighbourhood and plans to roll it out nationally.

"The [target consumers] are the people who shop at Whole Foods and are getting on Bullfrog Power," she said. "It's an early and growing segment. The first couple of months might be tough, but this is a long-term strategy."

Ms. Reisman admitted that she was never "one of those people in Birkenstocks hugging trees" but was urged a decade ago by her children to start eating organic food and has realized it was still a relatively untapped market for gifts, beauty products and stationery.

The target consumer cited by Pistachio co-presidents Kirsten Chapman and Tracie Wagman is from the so-called LOHAS (lifestyles of health and sustainability) demographic, a fairly well-educated middle-class and upward segment willing to pay more for sustainable products, energy-efficient appliances and organic goods.

The store features recycled materials, a bright and airy design and is evocative of Ms. Reisman's style in Indigo's gifts - elegant, with a touch of whimsy. About 60% of stock is paper products, 25% is gift products and 15% is beauty. The last one is a segment that Ms. Reisman, who cites the debut of a new juice-based natural beauty line from Aveda founder Horst Rechelbacher, Intelligent Nutrients, is keen on growing.

Six to eight of the 2,000 to 3,000 square-foot boutiques will open in 2009, but Ms. Reisman envisions a couple of hundred across Canada and the U.S. over time.

"There has been a change in consumer buying habits in the last 18 to 24 months," said retail consultant Wendy Evans, president of Toronto-based Evans & Company Consultants Inc. "A core group is willing to go out of their way to buy green. This would not have worked two years ago, but the chances are pretty good now. Research shows consumers are not willing to pay a whole lot extra, but they will pay some sort of a premium. I [see Pistachio] as an urban concept first but perhaps as the word spreads as there are more opportunities beyond that. For a business like this it's about striking that balance between leading public opinion and following public opinion."

Half of the new chain's products are under its own private label or developed in concert with green manufacturers, a move that will help on pricing and margins, Ms. Reisman noted. The paper products will be sold at 50 Chapters and Indigo big box stores.

A Web site to sell Pistachio's wares will go live in three months.

This article's wrong though. There's been a Gap Outlet at Highways 7 and 400 in the plaza that looks kinda like an Italian villa for years!

http://www.retailingtoday.com/story.aspx?id=83483

SAN FRANCISCO (Oct. 27) Gap Inc. reported that it has opened its first Banana Republic Factory Store and Gap Factory Store in Canada.

“During our meeting with investors last week, we described our focus on improving our core brands while we also identified growth opportunities in our International and online businesses,†said Art Peck, president of Gap Inc. Outlet and evp of corporate strategy and Operations. “Bringing our Outlet brands to Canada is a perfect next step in our growth strategy, as we match our Canadian customers with the strongest value expressions of our brands.â€

The first stores in Canada are located at the Vaughan Mills Mall in Ontario.

Back