News   Apr 25, 2024
 257     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

News from across Europe

Neither Turkey or Russia should become members because they would impose their interests at the expense of other EU members, which is not in the interest of Europe.

This presupposes that the Russia and Turkey that would be joining would be the same Russia and Turkey that we have today, which is a funny assumption to make considering that the Russia and Turkey we have today would never be allowed to join.

Socio-economically, both Russia and Turkey belong in the EU. Currently, the political situation is the only hindrance, in my opinion.
Then again, I'm an optimistic globalist, soooooo.... ;)

Maybe so but they are much more European than Turkey is.

Russia is only "more European" than Turkey in the context of religion.

Historically and economically, as well as culturally in large part, they're both quite European.

Speaking of which...why the hell is Kazakhstan in UEFA? Now that's debatable!

Not sure this is the best spot for this....

But I saw on Twitter where in Utecht they are almost finished a project to remove a highway, and replace it with a canal.

The highway replaced the drained canal in the early 70s; just shy of 50 years later, people have rightly questioned the wisdom of that move and now spending a considerable sum putting it back the way it was, with a few modest embellishments.

1595009115144.png

Did a bit more digging on it to find this link, with images from same below:

1595009228016.png

Last edited:
Not sure this is the best spot for this....

But I saw on Twitter where in Utecht they are almost finished a project to remove a highway, and replace it with a canal.

The highway replaced the drained canal in the early 70s; just shy of 50 years later, people have rightly questioned the wisdom of that move and now spending a considerable sum putting it back the way it was, with a few modest embellishments.

View attachment 257837

Did a bit more digging on it to find this link, with images from same below:

View attachment 257838

I spent part of a day trip in Utrecht during a past visit to the Netherlands a few years ago. Very enjoyable medium sized city. The historical core is well preserved as with most Dutch cities. It has a pleasant University town vibe, similar to Groningen in the north. Also more laid back and didn't have the overly touristy feel that Amsterdam often has. Many of the canals in the city centre also have cafes and patios right along the water.

I spent part of a day trip in Utrecht during a past visit to the Netherlands a few years ago. Very enjoyable medium sized city. The historical core is well preserved as with most Dutch cities. It has a pleasant University town vibe, similar to Groningen in the north. Also more laid back and didn't have the overly touristy feel that Amsterdam often has. Many of the canals in the city centre also have cafes and patios right along the water.

I haven't been in the Netherlands in.....wow.......over 20 years now.

I spent most of my time there in Amsterdam; which I enjoyed as a walking City even then; I gather its improved quite a bit since.

The canals were lovely.

My only real complaint that I recall was the food.

There were lots US chains catering to tourists Pizza Hut, KFC and such.

There were plenty of places to grab a nice Beer on a patio.

Hard pass on the pickled Herring sold from hot dog carts......OMG the smell at 25M away.............

But, in my experience, quality dining was in short supply.

In respect of Utrecht, I'm afraid I never saw more than a train trip through and the platforms of the station.

It was an option on my to-do list, but I never quite got there.

I haven't been in the Netherlands in.....wow.......over 20 years now.

I spent most of my time there in Amsterdam; which I enjoyed as a walking City even then; I gather its improved quite a bit since.

The canals were lovely.

My only real complaint that I recall was the food.

There were lots US chains catering to tourists Pizza Hut, KFC and such.

There were plenty of places to grab a nice Beer on a patio.

Hard pass on the pickled Herring sold from hot dog carts......OMG the smell at 25M away.............

But, in my experience, quality dining was in short supply.

In respect of Utrecht, I'm afraid I never saw more than a train trip through and the platforms of the station.

It was an option on my to-do list, but I never quite got there.

I've been to the Netherlands twice around 5-6 years ago, 3 times if you consider being at Schiphol airport strictly for a flight transfer lol. Amsterdam is certainly a great city for walking, I can honestly get lost in the canal rings all day long and never get tired of it. The crowds and lineups can be a bit much at times, but hey we get used to that in Toronto after all.

The areas outside of the core are excellent too. I stayed in the Museum quarter each visit, and the consistency in the architecture and urban streetscapes are definitely something to marvel at .

Agreed about the food. I enjoy the pastries and desserts, but otherwise not the most exciting local cuisine. Although, as a early-mid-20 year old back then I'd mostly stick to the usual pizza or shawarma places, or pick up food (and beer) from the grocery stores.

What I really enjoyed was the ease and reliability of the train system. I spent at most 2 hours in Utrecht, but in that day trip I also saw Haarlem, the Hague, and even Rotterdam all in one circuit.

EU leaders in bitter clash over Covid-19 recovery package

Mon 20 Jul 2020

Hungary’s prime minister, Viktor Orbán, accused his Dutch counterpart of using the same methods as his country’s former communist leaders on Sunday, as EU leaders publicly clashed during tense and acrimonious negotiations over the terms of a proposed €1.8tn budget and recovery package for the bloc.

A third difficult day of a summit of the EU’s 27 heads of state and government – the first in person for five months – saw movement towards agreement as talks stretched deep into the night, but laid bare the deep splits between north and south, and east and west.

Maas: Germany against US push to let Russia back into G7

Germany has rejected a proposal floated by US President Donald Trump to allow Russia back into the Group of Seven (G7) most advanced economies, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said in an interview published Monday.

"The reason for Russia's exclusion was the annexation of Crimea and intervention in eastern Ukraine," he told the Rheinische Post newspaper. "As long as we do not have a solution there, I see no chance for this."

Russia was expelled from the G7 in 2014 after Moscow annexed Ukraine's Crimea region.

Has Spain's former king Juan Carlos I fled to the Dominican Republic?

Aug 4, 2020

Former Spanish king Juan Carlos I has abruptly left his homeland for the Dominican Republic amid a $100 million (€85 million) corruption scandal, according to Spanish media on Tuesday.

The 82-year-old in a letter addressed Monday to King Felipe VI, his son, Juan Carlos I said he decided to leave Spain in order to not distract from the work of the reigning monarch.

--------

On Tuesday, Spanish newspaper ABC reported that he left Spain on Sunday and flew to the Dominican Republic, via Portugal. La Vanguardia also reported that Juan Carlos I flew to the Dominican Republic, but only temporarily. El Mundo reported that friends say they believe he has fled to the Caribbean nation.

The digital newspaper El Confidencial, however, said he could be in Portugal, France or Italy.

The former monarch's lawyer, Javier Sanchez-Junco, also issued a statement on Monday, saying his client was not trying to avoid justice and would remain available to prosecutors.

In March this year, reports began to surface that Juan Carlos I allegedly received illegitimate financial contributions from Saudi Arabia. As a result, investigations are underway in both Switzerland and Spain.

Svetlana Tikhanovskaya: The teacher challenging Lukashenko — Europe's last dictator

Aug 6, 2020

Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, a teacher, is the greatest challenge yet to the reign of Alexander Lukashenko, who vies for a sixth term as Belarus' president. Svetlana Tikhanovskaya has had a staggering and unprecedented rise.

Svetlana Tikhanovskaya does not describe herself as a politician. Indeed, she says she just wants her family back and to be able to cook for them. Yet, for now, she is running for election, and observers consider the 37-year-old stay-at-home parent, a teacher and interpreter by profession, perhaps the greatest challenge yet to the reign of President Alexander Lukashenko, who is seeking a sixth term on Sunday.

Tikhanovskaya ended up in this position almost by chance. It was initially her husband, the 41-year-old video blogger Sergei Tikhanovsky, who wanted to challenge the president. However, he was arrested before the election campaign even kicked off and charged with taking part in an unauthorized demonstration at the beginning of the year.

Juan Carlos, Spain's disgraced former king, may be in Abu Dhabi, reports suggest

A week after going into exile, the scandal-hit former monarch is said to be staying in a $12,000-a-night suite in the Emirates palace hotel

Aug 9, 2020

At first it was Portugal, then the Dominican Republic, but now Abu Dhabi is firming as the most likely place of residence for Spain’s scandal-hit former king Juan Carlos.

On Saturday, Spain’s NIUS media group published an image that showed a man with at least the likeness of Juan Carlos in a face mask, descending from a plane.

The image builds on a report a day earlier by Spain’s pro-monarchy ABC newspaper, which said he has been staying in a presidential suite at the Emirates palace hotel since leaving his country aboard a private jet on Monday.

Another "election" in Belarus, but this time, people seem really mad. Will it amount to anything? I dunno...

Back