News   May 03, 2024
 214     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 572     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

newest office building to join Calgary's boom

Hmm. I have to say Tdot, I'm not in your camp on this one.

Gehry has talent. It took him a lot of hard work and courage to push for his designs. Now he has an enviable reputation that helps him get his avant garde designs built. While he still has to overcome obstacles to do that (for example, building codes are pushed past their limits by his designs), he may not need quite as much courage as he did before he 'had a name'.

These guys, on the other hand... courage? Maybe they have it, but more than that I think this design shows that they are just plain out-of-touch with the world around them, mainstream or avant-garde. I'm not saying you always have to follow the pack, and that there HAS to be some recognition of your art/design-work by an approved segment of society for it to actually be good, but damn, I declare this design to be clueless, and of no use whatsoever in propelling any kind of design aesthetic forward in Calgary.

This is a sore thumb that will always be a sore thumb until it's re-clad. Good luck keeping tenants if it actually looks like this when built, despite Calgary's tight market. For anyone who lives near this thing, and whose views it will soon dominate, well, there goes your neighbourhood.

emphatic 42

meh, sure that building is crap, but calgary does has alot of really nice proposals on the board, so while I'm not crazy on the design for the 999 building I'll think about all the other really good buildings soon to go up.

work has begun on the Bow, they begun to dig the massive hole for the foundation, although City Council got upset because the Bow will close 6 Ave SE from Centre St to 1 St SE for 11 months, and parts of Centre and 1 St SE and 5 Ave, for over 2 years. City Council is to decide what to do April 16. and work is also set to begin on the 2 million sq foot Penny Lane Tower Complex later this month or early next month (actual construction set to begin in December).

work has begun on the Bow, they begun to dig the massive hole for the foundation

Wow - I'm surprised they've begun construction so soon! For some reason I figured this one would take forever to get off the ground, perhaps because of the sheer scale and complexity of the project. Excellent news - in a few years I may actually have a reason to visit Calgary! :)

the Developer has 10 months from july to get most of it complete or face some serious daily fines (which one of the city councilers wanted it to be $1m per day, I think its in the neibourhood of 100k)

The Bow officially began construction yesterday! it should be interesting to see if they can complete the parkade and the first 25 stories like promised by next july of next year.

I think they are, its because the bow will have to have a 1 block stretch of 6 Ave closed (in addition to partial closures on every other road around the project), that stretch must reopen for the Stampede parade next july, otherwise I believe the city may charge Encana money for each day its over due.

Back