News   Jul 18, 2024
 810     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 723     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 563     0 

New Transit Funding Sources

***Posting this here to as it's relevant and the closest thread to link funding and politics

With the poll stating that Conservatives and Liberals are dead even in Toronto, Wynne might have to overdo it on the transit file to secure Toronto as transit is the #1 issue in the city and other urban centers. I predict a new package deal on transit to get reelected as despite all the projects going on right now, she would be beaten if she doesn't announce more. Like the Feds, she will target urban votes and with the Federal Government Infrastructure Program covering 50% of capital costs of the following: Public Transit projects, Social housing & Green Infrastructure, she will have more cash to cover more *new* projects as it's in Ottawa's interest to keep Wynne in power.

Assuming the ship has sailed for projects already under construction, this list of projects that are planned but unfunded will get that subsidy from the Federal Government. Some of those projects are part of the Big move project from Metrolinx and having this Federal subsidy will free more funds to be reinvested in new projects. In fact, most (if not all) of the LRT projects are paid 100% by Queen's Park and with the Federal Liberals needing to keep Wynne put, it gives both parties the opportunity to help each other which includes accepting the LRT projects under the Big move to be funded as well by Ottawa as they are shovel ready. I saw the skepticism on the thread but the Infrastructure program IS HAPPENING. The Infrastructure bank is being set up and Ottawa's already planning to fund up to $189B of new infrastructure. Ottawa needs to spend it to stimulate the economy and secure the next cycle of urban votes while the province needs more money to fund more new infrastructure in the vote rich urban areas.

Expect the Federal Liberals to help her sell this new wave of project based on their program as the question of "how will you pay for all of this" will come up. She can't/won't campaign on raising taxes and implementing new revenue tools (most likely if she wins), she will need to use that program as a crutch to make her numbers stick and not be required to go even more further into debt. At this point, copying what the Feds did is her only way out which if we recall, got them elected over the other parties promising to balance the budget and cut. This might work on rural/suburb areas but cities massively rejected that...even Calgary! Her only hope are Ontario's Urban areas votes. If going in further debt to undertake massive infrastructure investments to stimulate the economy gives her a chance to win, she will go all in and hope cities will do the same and hammer that the PC will stop everything.

The $189B Infrastructure Fund is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Now's the time to take full advantage of it even if it means to go into debt while the interest rates are very low. A PC Government would be a disaster as if they cut back on spending,, they would be ineligible to have access to those funds.

Potential Package deal for reelection (New unfunded projects)

Toronto

• Relief Line Long: Downtown Toronto & North York
  • Waterfront LRT (Including the Reset): Downtown Toronto & Etobicoke
  • Crosstown West: Etobicoke
  • Bloor-Danforth Subway Extension (including Crosstown East): Scarborough (1 more station: Sheppard): The current price tag doesn't take into account the Federal Infrastructure program. Once shovel ready, Queen's Park will submit it and get the Feds to pay half. With the extra funds saved by the province, pushing the extension to Sheppard-McCowan is a very real possibility. After the tolls backstabbing job, they owe Tory and he's in need of rescuing in this file. The ridership drastically dropped when Sheppard got cut. Adding Sheppard would bring the ridership up and get more support.
  • Sheppard West: North York
  • Sheppard East: Scarborough: The LRT being cancelled is a no brainer. It's under the old deal where the Feds contributes only $333M. Cancelling it and resubmitting it as it's shovel ready would boost the funding to half the cost. The Liberals being starved for votes will make it a subway to meet Line 2 at McCowan instead of STC
Yonge North/Richmond Hill Expansion: North York & York Region. People know my opinion on this one but this will make the list. No brainer if you want the 905

O-Train LRT Phase II: Ottawa

Dundas Street Rapid Transit: Mississauga

Brampton LRT: Yep, they will be getting it back

Ion Phase II: Tri-City Area

HSR Ontario Ottawa-Kingston-GTA-London-Windsor: This is a huge way to capture the vote along the corridor. I expect both the Province and Federal Government to partner on this which will help Wynne.

Hamilton: Some or the remaining lines of the BLAST Network with the T line being on top after the A & B Line

Last edited:
***Posting this here to as it's relevant and the closest thread to link funding and politics

With the poll stating that Conservatives and Liberals are dead even in Toronto, Wynne might have to overdo it on the transit file to secure Toronto as transit is the #1 issue in the city and other urban centers. I predict a new package deal on transit to get reelected as despite all the projects going on right now, she would be beaten if she doesn't announce more. Like the Feds, she will target urban votes and with the Federal Government Infrastructure Program covering 50% of capital costs of the following: Public Transit projects, Social housing & Green Infrastructure, she will have more cash to cover more *new* projects as it's in Ottawa's interest to keep Wynne in power.

Assuming the ship has sailed for projects already under construction, this list of projects that are planned but unfunded will get that subsidy from the Federal Government. Some of those projects are part of the Big move project from Metrolinx and having this Federal subsidy will free more funds to be reinvested in new projects. In fact, most (if not all) of the LRT projects are paid 100% by Queen's Park and with the Federal Liberals needing to keep Wynne put, it gives both parties the opportunity to help each other which includes accepting the LRT projects under the Big move to be funded as well by Ottawa as they are shovel ready. I saw the skepticism on the thread but the Infrastructure program IS HAPPENING. The Infrastructure bank is being set up and Ottawa's already planning to fund up to $189B of new infrastructure. Ottawa needs to spend it to stimulate the economy and secure the next cycle of urban votes while the province needs more money to fund more new infrastructure in the vote rich urban areas.

Expect the Federal Liberals to help her sell this new wave of project based on their program as the question of "how will you pay for all of this" will come up. She can't/won't campaign on raising taxes and implementing new revenue tools (most likely if she wins), she will need to use that program as a crutch to make her numbers stick and not be required to go even more further into debt. At this point, copying what the Feds did is her only way out which if we recall, got them elected over the other parties promising to balance the budget and cut. This might work on rural/suburb areas but cities massively rejected that...even Calgary! Her only hope are Ontario's Urban areas votes. If going in further debt to undertake massive infrastructure investments to stimulate the economy gives her a chance to win, she will go all in and hope cities will do the same and hammer that the PC will stop everything.

The $189B Infrastructure Fund is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Now's the time to take full advantage of it even if it means to go into debt while the interest rates are very low. A PC Government would be a disaster as if they cut back on spending,, they would be ineligible to have access to those funds.

Toronto

• Bloor-Danforth Subway Extension (including Crosstown East): Scarborough (1 more station: Sheppard): The current price tag doesn't take into account the Federal Infrastructure program. Once shovel ready, Queen's Park will submit it and get the Feds to pay half. With the extra funds saved by the province, pushing the extension to Sheppard-McCowan is a very real possibility. After the tolls backstabbing job, they owe Tory and he's in need of rescuing in this file. The ridership drastically dropped when Sheppard got cut. Adding Sheppard would bring the ridership up and get more support.
  • Sheppard East: Scarborough: The LRT being cancelled is a no brainer. It's under the old deal where the Feds contributes only $333M. Cancelling it and resubmitting it as it's shovel ready would boost the funding to half the cost. The Liberals being starved for votes will make it a subway to meet Line 1 at McCowan instead of STC
Yonge North/Richmond Hill Expansion: North York & York Region. People know my opinion on this one but this will make the list. No brainer if you want the 905

HSR Ontario Ottawa-Kingston-GTA-London-Windsor: This is a huge way to capture the vote along the corridor. I expect both the Province and Federal Government to partner on this which will help Wynne.

Hamilton: Some or the remaining lines of the BLAST Network with the T line being on top after the A & B Line
What about Go transit? All day service for the 905. Otherwise very good. I think they will build the purple line too, but it will go to STC.

What about Go transit? All day service for the 905. Otherwise very good. I think they will build the purple line too, but it will go to STC.

GO RER is already funded. That's why I didn't included it. The polls aren't looking good despite all the massive investment made by the Liberals on transit. Meaning past announcement and current projects aren't having an effect on her reelection chances. New projects and photo-ops at the opening of a new line usually do. Hence needing to win this so she can capitalize on the Crosstown opening and Finch West in 2021 a and collect from Ottawa LRT opening for the next cycle.

I think they will go for the Richmond Hill subway instead of upgrading the Richmond Hill line to RER. Subway is a slam dunk for votes

Last edited:
The Liberals being starved for votes will make it a subway to meet Line 1 at McCowan instead of STC
Is this a typo?

An extra station for SSE seems possible, but with the current costs, it doesn't seem viable even if the Feds pay for half. A huge overhaul of the costs have to be made, a $4B 2 (or 3) stop subway extension does not make any sense, must be < $3B.

GO RER is already funded. That's why I didn't included it. The polls aren't looking good despite all the massive investment made by the Liberals on transit. Meaning past announcement and current projects aren't having an effect on her reelection chances. New projects and photo-ops at the opening of a new line usually do. Hence needing to win this so she can capitalize on the Crosstown opening and Finch West in 2021 a and collect from Ottawa LRT opening for the next cycle.

I think they will go for the Richmond Hill subway instead of upgrading the Richmond Hill line to RER. Subway is a slam dunk for votes
I can agree. I think RH might be held back, which sucks because it's faster downtown then the subway even with the extension. Milton will get moved up though, it's the second busiest line so I don't see why not.
Is this a typo?

An extra station for SSE seems possible, but with the current costs, it doesn't seem viable even if the Feds pay for half. A huge overhaul of the costs have to be made, a $4B 2 (or 3) stop subway extension does not make any sense, must be < $3B.
They could put Lawrence east and Eglinton/McCowan back in.

Is this a typo?

Yeah, I fix my typo mistake!

There's still room to lower the costs if the city finds way to save on construction methods but even if you price the addition of Sheppard at $5.5B for the entire thing, that's $2.75B for the province and the city.

Toronto

• Sheppard East: Scarborough: The LRT being cancelled is a no brainer. It's under the old deal where the Feds contributes only $333M. Cancelling it and resubmitting it as it's shovel ready would boost the funding to half the cost. The Liberals being starved for votes will make it a subway to meet Line 2 at McCowan instead of STC

did you cost this out? How much of the feds $189B fund did you just spend in the GTHA? How do you think that might sell in the rest of the country (many areas that are in far greater need of the jobs that infrastructure spending brings might question why so much is being spent in the area least in need of that jobs boost...no?)

I can agree. I think RH might be held back, which sucks because it's faster downtown then the subway even with the extension. Milton will get moved up though, it's the second busiest line so I don't see why not.

I agree and I think she already got the Feds to commit to current GO RER projects which will lower the costs. Reinvesting in the Milton line should happen. I was under the impression they didn't own the tracks. Perhaps they will buy them, then upgrade

did you cost this out? How much of the feds $189B fund did you just spend in the GTHA? How do you think that might sell in the rest of the country (many areas that are in far greater need of the jobs that infrastructure spending brings might question why so much is being spent in the area least in need of that jobs boost...no?)

I know Montreal/Quebec plans are:
  • Blue Line extension East
  • Orange Line going North West
  • REM (Skytrain metro project) which replaces 3 current commuter trains and upgrade them
  • Pie-IX BRT
  • Quebec-City BRT
That's it for transit so far. The rest should go in Social housing and Green Infrastructure.

Vancouver are planning the Broadway Subway and LRT lines (please correct me on this)
Calgary and Edmonton are expanding their LRT
I could see BRT in other cities across Canada but if we're talking $189B, this is Ontario's opportunity to use it. The Feds even project that the whole funds won't be used and said the balance would be redistributed.

The lion share was always expected to go to Ontario. By making the projects so restrictive, there's more money that you realize as only Public Transit, social housing and green infrastructure counts.

The Liberals are clearly targeting the major cities.

Last edited:
http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/index-eng.html
Investing in Canada: The $186 Billion Long-Term Infrastructure Plan

http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/ptif-fitc-eng.php

Public Transit Expected Outcomes:
  • Improved reliability, efficiency, safety and accessibility of public transit systems
  • Large municipalities are planning for future system improvements and expansion

Examples of Eligible Projects:
  • Refurbishment or replacement of existing rolling stock;
  • Replacement or enhancement of transit stations;
  • Expenditures to support the asset management capacity;
  • Projects for system expansion; and,
  • Expenditures to support the design and planning for the future expansion and improvements to public transit systems, including:
    • transportation demand management measures and studies; and,
    • pilot projects related to innovative and transformative technologies.
Even by going by ratio, look at this table for the 1st wave of infrastructure spending. The next wave (the lion share of the program is due to come out later)

http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/ptic-fitc-table-tableau-eng.html
On a total of $3,377,660,000 in spending, Ontario received $1,486,680,000 which accounts for 44% of the entire 1st wave funding. Applying the same ratio, around $80B could be earmarked for Ontario alone. Adding the province and municipalities contribution and the amount is staggering. Hence, once the majority of the funds becomes accessible, the GTA needs to get their projects shovel ready.

http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/cs-pc-eng.html

How does it work?
Federal government cost-sharing works differently for projects in provinces than it does for projects in the territories.

Under the 2014 New Building Canada Fund, for projects located in the provinces, the maximum federal contribution from all sources will be up to one-third (33.33 per cent) of the total eligible costs of a project, with the following exceptions:

• For projects in the highways and roads and disaster mitigation categories where the asset is provincially-owned, the maximum federal contribution from all sources will be up to 50 per cent of the total eligible costs.
  • For projects in the public transit category, the maximum federal contribution from all sources will be up to 50 per cent of the total eligible costs.
  • For projects where the recipient is from the for-profit private sector, the maximum federal contribution from all sources will be up to 25 per cent of the total eligible costs.

Last edited:
I agree and I think she already got the Feds to commit to current GO RER projects which will lower the costs. Reinvesting in the Milton line should happen. I was under the impression they didn't own the tracks. Perhaps they will buy them, then upgrade
They are going to add two tracks and do a flyunder
  • REM (Skytrain metro project) which replaces 3 current commuter trains and upgrade them
  • Pie-IX BRT
  • Quebec-City BRT
That's it for transit so far. The rest should go in Social housing and Green Infrastructure.

Vancouver are planning the Broadway Subway and LRT lines (please correct me on this)
I could see BRT in other cities across Canada but if we're talking $189B, this is Ontario's opportunity to use it. The Feds even project that the whole funds won't be used and said the balance would be redistributed.

The lion share was always expected to go to Ontario. By making the projects so restrictive, there's more money that you realize as only Public Transit, social housing and green infrastructure counts.

Montreal seriously needs needs to go to all day service on the AMT commuter rail. Their traffic is awful.

• Pie-IX BRT
  • Quebec-City BRT

They are going to add two tracks and do a flyunder

Montreal seriously needs needs to go to all day service on the AMT commuter rail. Their traffic is awful.

The REM proposal doesn't so much "replace" 3 commuter lines, as it replaces 1, truncates 2, and forces 1 to die out from lack of ridership/starved investment.

Pie-IX is already under construction though, even though it is probably the slowest BRT project in the history of the world.

The REM proposal doesn't so much "replace" 3 commuter lines, as it replaces 1, truncates 2, and forces 1 to die out from lack of ridership/starved investment.

Pie-IX is already under construction though, even though it is probably the slowest BRT project in the history of the world.
Wow. Slow is right. And what about the St Jerome and Blainville lines? Those are the ones people use the most.

I don't think there's any plans for all day both direction services outside REM. As for Pis-IX, there were so many accidents/deaths when v.1 was around. When they say "reserve lanes/ROW" they really mean it... Get out of the way or get hit by the bus...that thing is speeding for real...jaywalk at your own risks in Montreal

Back