News   Mar 28, 2024
 198     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 608     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

New rides at Wonderland

The land Orbiter was on is apparently being turned into a pathway that connects Behemoth/Backlot up to Yukon Stryker/Minebuster, officially making no dead end pathways in the park officially. This might further provide some extra space if they were to RMC Minebuster down the road to redo their station in order to make the coaster taller than it currently is!

Not a new ride per se, but Vortex got a new sign/"theme"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190416-193924.png
    Screenshot_20190416-193924.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 578
They closed off the behind the falls walk because a teenager drowned in the water. They also closed the observation deck aka the walk to the top of the mountain because they built the roller coaster on top of it.

Sorry to pull up such an old thread, but I couldn't find a more recent one about Wonderland. (Mods, if one exists, please move my post there.)

Growing up, something that always peaked my interest was the closed off tunnel at Wonder Mountain. I remember going up to the boarded-up entrances and peeking through the cracks to catch a glimpse of what I could no longer access. I remember the tunnel looking pretty eerie inside (but that's because I was only a kid then).
View attachment 105207
(The yellow box on the left is the closed off southern entrance, and the yellow box on the right is a look-out from inside the tunnel.)

I've been looking for photos or videos of the tunnel online from when it was in operation, or in it's current state, but have been unable to find any so far.

Would anyone happen to know when this tunnel was closed off permanently, and why? I assume it was because of the slippery conditions from the waterfall. I remember it looking pretty wet and slippery from what I could see.

I could see it being a security concern too - eg. a sex predator waiting in there for a victim, or teens looking for someone to rob.

Sorry, I'm a urban explorer. Small stuff like this has always fascinated me.

They closed off the behind the falls walk because a teenager drowned in the water. They also closed the observation deck aka the walk to the top of the mountain because they built the roller coaster on top of it.

I miss going through that dark, perpetually wet tunnel up to the observation deck on top of the mountain. The view was great. I think it closed sometime in the late 80's. Every time I'm there and see the blocked off entrance I wonder how many people know that there used to be a way to get to the top...

So this 'Cliff Jumping' seems to be Wonderland's new attraction for 2020, in the Splash Works area.

News Release here:

From said release:

Canada’s Wonderland is taking guest adventures to new heights in 2020 with the addition of a multi-level cliff jumping attraction in the water park and an exciting airplane ride for children in Planet Snoopy.

Adventure awaits at Mountain Bay Cliffs, situated high above the landscape of Splash Works water park. Guests can experience the exhilaration of cliff jumping from a variety of heights into the water below, with the ultimate challenge of conquering the highest peak at seven-and-a-half metres (25 feet).

Beagle Brigade Airfield flies into Planet Snoopy next year, and will feature six suspended airplanes that zip through the air, taking its young pilots for an exciting flight. Beagle Brigade Airfield will zoom along an oval course swinging through sharp banked turns, bringing smiles to children and parents alike.

Thought maybe we'd get another adult flat ride but this will be popular. 2021 should be a big year though with the hotel scheduled to open.

The mountain would look great, it hides more of the highway which is a plus and could be a good backdrop for pictures. I'm curious how large this will be, can you stay swimming for a while or be forced out shortly after? It also sets up more of a "Canadiana" theme while not being in your face like canoes and lumberjacks.

The kids ride looks decent Too, though they don't mention where it will be replaced. Honestly I wasn't expecting much this season as the year after our other two B&Ms were hohum.

I bet with the hotel coming in, I could see them putting down $15-20 million on another stand out attraction. Still thinking it will be a RMC.

The hotel isn't really a "park" hotel in the classic sense though, no? I mean it's planned as a Hyatt brand extended stay hotel. Seems more marketed to business travel than amusement park users.. It just doesn't seem really all that associated with the park.

Well their main focus for the park would be June July and August, the same months when businesses are slower. I could see how it would be suited for both. Unfortunately I can't see anything mentioned of direct travel to and from but it would be weird for a Cedar Fair based entity to not have their park as their main focus.

Even Cedar Point has a massive multi-sports facility operating in the hopes that a large chunk of the guests get into the park before or afterwards.

Canada's Wonderland has announced 2 new rides for next year.

A kid/family ride will be Snoopy's Racing Railway (it's a coaster)

1660240039820.png

While for the adults, we get an apparently one of a kind, 360-degree spinning swing ride called Tundra Twister.

Description from the above:

1660240149931.png

Render:

1660240174664.png

Amusement Insiders reporting that major redevelopment is pending over the next few years..............

Multiple plans, including an expansion and improvement to Splash Works and redevelopment at the Kingswood site.......and lots of other stuff......

The most interesting stuff they yammer about is this:

1698372798162.png

Supposedly a fully developed and approved concept. Work is apparently underway inside the Mountain.

Take the details w/a grain of Salt; A.I. are an excitable lot not always steadfastly accurate in their guesses..........still, sounds like something substantial is in the near-term offing.

I love the talk of re-introducing themed areas, something that the park had in the 80's but was gradually eroded and watered down. I also love the rumour of themed music!! I really miss when the park used to play epic medieval music throughout in the early days, only to be replaced with garbage mainstream schlock...

Back