News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 322     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

New rides at Wonderland

Sorry to pull up such an old thread, but I couldn't find a more recent one about Wonderland. (Mods, if one exists, please move my post there.)

Growing up, something that always peaked my interest was the closed off tunnel at Wonder Mountain. I remember going up to the boarded-up entrances and peeking through the cracks to catch a glimpse of what I could no longer access. I remember the tunnel looking pretty eerie inside (but that's because I was only a kid then).
wonderland.jpg

(The yellow box on the left is the closed off southern entrance, and the yellow box on the right is a look-out from inside the tunnel.)

I've been looking for photos or videos of the tunnel online from when it was in operation, or in it's current state, but have been unable to find any so far.

Would anyone happen to know when this tunnel was closed off permanently, and why? I assume it was because of the slippery conditions from the waterfall. I remember it looking pretty wet and slippery from what I could see.

I could see it being a security concern too - eg. a sex predator waiting in there for a victim, or teens looking for someone to rob.

Sorry, I'm a urban explorer. Small stuff like this has always fascinated me.

Attachments

• wonderland.jpg
    wonderland.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 5,179
Sorry to pull up such an old thread, but I couldn't find a more recent one about Wonderland. (Mods, if one exists, please move my post there.)

Growing up, something that always peaked my interest was the closed off tunnel at Wonder Mountain. I remember going up to the boarded-up entrances and peeking through the cracks to catch a glimpse of what I could no longer access. I remember the tunnel looking pretty eerie inside (but that's because I was only a kid then).
View attachment 105207
(The yellow box on the left is the closed off southern entrance, and the yellow box on the right is a look-out from inside the tunnel.)

I've been looking for photos or videos of the tunnel online from when it was in operation, or in it's current state, but have been unable to find any so far.

Would anyone happen to know when this tunnel was closed off permanently, and why? I assume it was because of the slippery conditions from the waterfall. I remember it looking pretty wet and slippery from what I could see.

I could see it being a security concern too - eg. a sex predator waiting in there for a victim, or teens looking for someone to rob.

Sorry, I'm a urban explorer. Small stuff like this has always fascinated me.

Could it be the old entrance to the observation deck? I know they closed the observation deck when Thunder Run was built.

Could it be the old entrance to the observation deck? I know they closed the observation deck when Thunder Run was built.
It isn't. The access to the top of the mountain is still visible (but blocked off) via an outdoor zig-zagging passageway, and is located by the underground washroom on the southern end of the mountain (far to the left, out of sight of the photo I posted). The tunnel is completely different from that access. AFAIK, the access the divers use to get to the top is through the northern entrance to the tunnel I'm referring to. (You can vaguely make out the holes in the mountain to that stairwell near the right-most yellow box I made.)

EDIT: The only footage I've found of Wonderland in the 1980s is from an episode of "Littlest Hobo", and it doesn't reveal that tunnel.

Also, here is a Wonderland map from 1981. The "Wonder Mountain Pathway" is highlighted. It starts (and still does) roughly where the upward amber arrow is. Oddly, the tunnel isn't indicated at all.
wonderland 1981.jpg

Attachments

• wonderland 1981.jpg
    wonderland 1981.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 1,422
Last edited:
It isn't. The access to the top of the mountain is still visible (but blocked off) via an outdoor zig-zagging passageway, and is located by the underground washroom on the southern end of the mountain (far to the left, out of sight of the photo I posted). The tunnel is completely different from that access. AFAIK, the access the divers use to get to the top is through the northern entrance to the tunnel I'm referring to. (You can vaguely make out the holes in the mountain to that stairwell near the right-most yellow box I made.)

EDIT: The only footage I've found of Wonderland in the 1980s is from an episode of "Littlest Hobo", and it doesn't reveal that tunnel.

Also, here is a Wonderland map from 1981. The "Wonder Mountain Pathway" is highlighted. It starts (and still does) roughly where the upward amber arrow is. Oddly, the tunnel isn't indicated at all.
View attachment 105285
That map also shows Blauer Enzian, which was renamed Thunder Run after being relocated into Wonder Mountain

Also, sorry to get OT, but there is an abandoned pathway at Toronto Zoo, that was closed off circa 1995 due to it being too steep. It used to lead from the main zoo entrance to the Africa Pavilion. It used to be part of the "Lion Trail". I remember this pathway very well, particularly, because it featured a very unique bridge on their monorail system. The bridge was covered with small amber, circuclar tiles. I always wondered why they closed it off - it was such a direct route, instead of redirecting people with disabilites along another path. I never cared that the final approach to the Africa Pavilion was too steep. Leave it for us to decide, instead of barring everyone.

I wonder if that bridge is still around. Looking at the Zoomobile map, it appears as if it's still in use.

The area highlighted in red is the abandoned Toronto Zoo pathway. (map c. 1995)
Metro Zoo.png

It no longer appears on current maps, and is covered by tree brush on Google maps. I miss the days when Toronto (Metro) Zoo used to show all the service roads on their public maps as well.

My UE bug is really biting me today...

And just a treat for everyone, an old Toronto Zoo monorail car:
Metro Zoo_2.png

(EDIT: Note to Mods, please move my posts to a UE thread, if one exists.)

Attachments

• Metro Zoo.png
    Metro Zoo.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,146
  • Metro Zoo_2.png
    Metro Zoo_2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,135
Last edited:
I'm excited to try Soaring Timbers and see how it differs from Shockwave (since it's currently my favourite flat ride)

It's also great that they're expanding their food options with Mexican and more BBQ options. much better than the usual hot dogs, burgers, fries, etc.

Hopfully this is the season we will start seeing signs of the construction of Ziz. I know Cedar Fair is already planning two new rollercoasters in the chain for 2018, but Leviathan came out in 2012 and Skyriders' plot has been vacant for multiple seasons!

In the last couple of days, Matt Ouimet was at the park and had an interiew with BNN and brought up a few tidbits of new information.

http://www.bnn.ca/canada-s-wonderla...-interesting-amid-hints-of-new-hotel-1.804930

First is that Toronto is being looked at for not only a hotel, but also make it into a resort. I would be thinking this would take place either on the North part of the parking lot, or they might move their storage/HR/ maitenance facilities elsewhere and have a really large footprint on Wonderland's area (also being very visable from the highway.) This makes me very excited since it'll mean that there would be obvious underground parking and perhaps the extra revenue from the hotel would bring in more incentive to get some more great coasters.

Secondly is that Ouimet was also hinting at something VERY big coming to the park in the next couple years. It's been a while since our last coaster (2012), so it's fair to assume it will definitely be our third one since CF took over. He was also mentioning it's something that has never been done before, which could mean the new coaster RMC is testing, the T-Rex track. Or something brand new from B&M. In that same interview he mentioned "We take things out when we put things in."

I've also noticed that the dirt pile by Minebuster's lift hill is getting taller, new footers have been spotted and the remaining tree's on Skyrider's plot have been cut. So going from what was stated above, I'm guessing they will shut down Minebuster within the year and build the station on Skyrider's plot and use the rest of the coaster's footprint for something new and perhaps let it interact with the highway/forest.

2018 will probably be a minor addition, but my money is on 2019.

I think they still use it, though nowhere near the amount from the late 80s and 90s. It could definitely go there, but two things for me make me think it won't.

If they had the north side, it will be very visible from the highway and Major Mac. And secondly, I think that when they get rid of Flight Deck and the Tomb Raider ride, they would incorporate the Kingswood Theatre into a new coaster.

I wouldn't be opposed to having it there, though.

I do think Wonderland's previous owners made a mistake selling off the contiguous property to the south. The northern land, to me, was likely never a viable add-odd to a seasonal park.

That said, they have lots of room to consolidate their parking. Reducing the area by 2/3 is very do-able.

I expect that will be the primary route for growth.

Though re-acquiring a small chunk of the land (commercial use) on the south of side of Wonderland Drive might (big if) be justifiable.

In respect of area transportation, the TYSSE is perhaps 4km to the south (the station is on the north side of #7. I would expect strong links by bus there (via Jane), and likely to Rutherford Station w/increasing levels of Barrie Corridor GO Service.

This should result in both a greater number of park users on peak days (subject to capacity) and a larger proportion arriving by transit.

In respect of area transportation, the TYSSE is perhaps 4km to the south (the station is on the north side of #7.
7 to Langstaff is 2km. Langstaff to Rutherford is 2km. Rutherford to Major Mac is 2km. Note that Wonderland's main entrance is approximately 500m south of Major Mac.

Wonderland can have parking garages as well, either as above-ground structures, underground, or both (though probably unlikely underground, due to Wonderland's proximity to the Oak Ridges Moraine). The ground floor can be used as a weatherproof bus terminal as well.

Back