News   May 10, 2024
 744     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 884     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 937     0 

New Grand River bridge in Kitchener (Region of Waterloo, completed)

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
$50 million plan to extend Fairway Road over the Grand River poised to begin

177f69454a32aa285e4eecd7c5d9.jpeg

August 18, 2010
BY JEFF OUTHIT, RECORD STAFF
WATERLOO REGION — Motorists rejoice — construction could start within days, leading to a long-awaited new bridge over the Grand River.

When it opens in two years, the bridge will extend Fairway Road in east Kitchener to Kossuth Road in north Cambridge. Two roundabouts will anchor the extended road.

This will improve Kitchener connections with Guelph, provide another access to Highway 401 via the Highway 24 interchange, and improve access to east-side lands targeted for future industry and homes.

“We get a lot of calls from people who are eager to see this project go ahead,†project manager John Stephenson said.

The regional government project is $7 million under budget, in a low tender up for council approval Aug. 19. The new price tag for the bridge and road, including money already spent, is $50 million.

This is more than first planned, but less than feared.

The bridge will not have the replica bowstring arches some residents desired as a nod to historic bridges.

However, it will have sculpted piers, which will be kept to the riverbanks, lookouts on the Cambridge side and gateway portals on both sides.

There will be pedestrian lookouts on the bridge, an open exterior railing, cycling paths and sidewalks.

“I think we hit the middle ground in terms of design,†Regional Chair Ken Seiling said. “We’ve created an attractive bridge.â€

Construction may launch Aug. 31. The bridge is expected to open to traffic Oct. 31, 2012.

It’s the first brand-new span over the Grand in this community since 1963. The province is currently twinning its bridge over the Grand at Highway 7/8.

The bridge was delayed in part for consultations with Six Nations leaders. The First Nations near Brantford claim to own the bed and banks of the Grand.

“We believe we’ve done everything necessary along that front,†Seiling said.

Project costs were estimated at just $23 million in 2006. Construction inflation, widening to four lanes, and design elements swelled estimates to $57 million, prior to the low bid.

Budgeted funds not spent on the project will be redirected to other projects.

A regional report says construction firms bid lower than expected because they’re looking for big projects after economic stimulus funding ends in 2011, and because the project is being built on green fields where staging is easy and there’s little traffic to disrupt.

The recommended low bidder is an experienced Toronto firm, Grascan Construction. Local firm Steed and Evans has been subcontracted for road work. Six firms bid on the project.

jouthit@therecord.com

The whole point of that bridge, is to allow Kitchener to sprawl to the east, towards Guelph and Cambridge. Along with the proposed Ottawa Street bridge and the new expressway just north of the existing Highway 7.

If more sprawling suburbs are what you like, then this is a good thing.

This bridge is a good thing. There are so few access points across the Grand River in Kitchener, nothing between Highway 7 and Highway 8 South, and then Sportsworld Drive/Maple Grove is the next east-west route south of congested Highway 7.

The area where the Cambridge side already has the Regional Airport as well as industrial land, so it's supporting current sprawl, not necessarily new sprawl. Kitchener itself hasn't done too bad revitalizing and intensifying its downtown either, and LRT is on the books.

I have been on the record as being against the Guelph-Kitchener Freeway, preferring just a simple widening/twinning of Highway 7 and improved regional transit (ie how about a regular, public transit service between GRT and Guelph Transit?)

This bridge is a good thing. There are so few access points across the Grand River in Kitchener, nothing between Highway 7 and Highway 8 South, and then Sportsworld Drive/Maple Grove is the next east-west route south of congested Highway 7.
There's King Street between 7 and 8; though it's not far from 8. After 8 the next crossing isn't until the 401. Sportsworld turns into Pioneer Tower that stops before it crosses the river; I think there were plans to cross to Huron once ... but I think that's all dead.

I can see that if they are going to expand like they are planning it's necessary. But we should recognize it for what it is ... urban sprawl.

I have been on the record as being against the Guelph-Kitchener Freeway, preferring just a simple widening/twinning of Highway 7 and improved regional transit (ie how about a regular, public transit service between GRT and Guelph Transit?)
Ironically, I'm on the record as being for it ... simply because too many people have been killed on the existing expressway.

Improving public transit is great ... but I really don't it's going to draw that many people ... even if they ran an express train from Guelph to Kitchener ever 5 minutes for free. Look at Guelph ... it's very spread out ... it's not like you trip is completed when you get there. KW is better, with so much employment along the new LRT spine. I'd think that there'd have to be major economical shifts for them to be able to expand Kitchener and Guelph as planned, and not build the new expressway.

Remember: this present bridge will have roundabouts at either end. Hardly an "expressway".

I think he's referring to the expressway replacement for Highway 7, not the Fairway Road extension.

This bridge does make a lot of sense, as the Highway 8 crossing of the Grand isn't really useful if you're going east. There's basically no crossing south of Highway 7. The area around Kossuth Road isn't designated for sprawly growth and the Region has been pretty good at enforcing its local greenbelt. There will be more development toward Breslau around the airport, which will be the new industrial park for the area. Since we're running out of industrial land, they've got to put it somewhere. I would like to see the area annexed by the City of Kitchener, though. Suburban development in rural municipalities doesn't sit well with me.

The new bridge is a definite positive.

A lot of people seem to forget the King Street bridge at Freeport. It is good to have a new bridge across the Grand that will carry pedestrians and bicycles in addition to cars. In addition, it may relieve some of the pressure on Hwy 8 into Kitchener by connecting with Lackner Bd.

The problem with "regular public transit" is that it is on the same road as the heavy traffic. A transit vehicle using the normal roadways will get stuck in traffic like any other vehicle and people will not want to use it. This is one of the arguments for LRT.

In addition to the problem of transit being stuck in traffic, it took almost 30 years from the formation of the Region of Waterloo to have transit between K-W and Cambridge which are in the same region! How long do you think it would take to get municipal transit connections between Waterloo Region and Guelph (which would involve transit operating through Wellington Cty - recall the City of Guelph opted out of the county).

Let's get started with regular, hourly buses between Downtown Guelph and Downtown Kitchener. The short distance that it passes through Puslinch or Guelph-Emerosa townships is negligible, and Guelph is an urban city in an otherwise rural county - lots of cities in the same situation are separated, including Barrie and Orillia in Simcoe County, London in Middlesex County, St. Thomas in Elgin County, etc. I'm sure GO Transit could even run it, but woul prefer an integrated fare with GRT and GTC with just an extra fare for the intercity zone.

A lot of people seem to forget the King Street bridge at Freeport. It is good to have a new bridge across the Grand that will carry pedestrians and bicycles in addition to cars. In addition, it may relieve some of the pressure on Hwy 8 into Kitchener by connecting with Lackner Bd.

The problem with "regular public transit" is that it is on the same road as the heavy traffic. A transit vehicle using the normal roadways will get stuck in traffic like any other vehicle and people will not want to use it. This is one of the arguments for LRT.

In addition to the problem of transit being stuck in traffic, it took almost 30 years from the formation of the Region of Waterloo to have transit between K-W and Cambridge which are in the same region! How long do you think it would take to get municipal transit connections between Waterloo Region and Guelph (which would involve transit operating through Wellington Cty - recall the City of Guelph opted out of the county).

We've got to start somewhere. Buses are cheap and a decent intercity bus service ought to attract enough ridership to make it worthwhile. If there is enough ridership it can be replaced by rail at a later date but this is expensive so we should start with buses.

From what I understand, due to a non-competition clause affecting coach bus carriers in Ontario, Greyhound has a monopoly on the route and any competing bus service along the same route is banned. If anyone knows more about this clause, please forward the info to me or in a reply to this message.

It is my hope that with GO transit operations, we may be able to build up a case for service high enough to start running DMUs between Kitchener and Guelph by the end of the decade, thus negating the need to compete with traffic, and attempt to overturn this clause. By then Presto will have been integrated by by Guelph and Kitchener, making this a one-ticket ride from anywhere in Waterloo Region to anywhere in Guelph.

From what I understand, due to a non-competition clause affecting coach bus carriers in Ontario, Greyhound has a monopoly on the route and any competing bus service along the same route is banned. If anyone knows more about this clause, please forward the info to me or in a reply to this message.

Coach Canada used to hold the non-competition clause for Kitchener-Cambridge. This did not stop GRT Route 52 extension a year after amalgamation and the iXpress a few years later. I would think that transit would be exempt, Greyhound service is awful between Kitchener and Guelph, especially with Greyhound's move to Sportsworld.

By "replica bowstring arches", are they talking about something like this?

Back