74     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 195     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 954     2 

New GO Transit Locomotives

S

simply Dan

Here is a rendering of the new locomotives GO Transit has purchased for the Milton and Lakeshore lines! To be built at MotivePower’s Boise, Idaho, facility, the first of the 27 new locomotives will arrive in late 2007 and will be able to pull 12 railcars, as opposed to the current 10. Apparently these new locomotives are also more fuel efficient. I like the more aerodynamic look - almost sexy for a diesel engine!

untitled-1.jpg

Finally a locomotive that looks fit for GO's commuter trains (rather than the current ones that look more fit for freight trains).

However it would be really strange to see this locomotive at the end of the train when the locomotive is in "pushing" mode. Probably a waste of money, but perhaps we should have a locomotive at both ends of the train, one real, the other a dummy?

That's an interesting point! Aesthetics have never been a priority in North American railways, but matching ends would actually be a concern in Europe.

These new MP locomotives seem to be becoming the standard for commuter railways across North America in the 2000s, supplanting the 1990s era F-59s. It's interesting to note that this smaller company has taken over a market that the big two (GE and EMD) have chosen to vacate after their old passenger locomotive designs failed new emissions requirements.

Now if only we could see some updated passenger cars. Ours are looking a bit old. Would love to see something like the virgin trains in the UK. Perhaps some better seats, onboard video screens with news updates, etc.

Perhaps some better seats

How about less quad seats? The current seats are fine, and if set up in regular 2+2, there would be more legroom for individual passengers, and keep some quads for those Ez-Rock demographic ladies who giggle about the stupidest things and talk loudly amongst themselves.

Nothing worse for legroom than having anyone other than a small woman sit in front of you on the GO Trains.

The coaches are old, but still in production - new ones have smoother bodies (welded, rather than riveted) - a new paint scheme would update the look - West Coast Express or Road Runner use the same cars, but look decades newer!

The engines don't excite me. GO's taking the easy way out with 12-car trains, instead of better service. It will mean more gridlock - in GO's gigantic parking lots and area roads. If the locos had pantographs, that would be a big improvement!

Hmm...the rendering looks exactly like an EMD FP-59PHI, which is basically the current loco (with updated innards) in a new shell. Surprised to hear it is MP industries building these...makes me wonder if they will be all-new locos or rebuilds of existing engines. Will have to look into this.

Chicago Metra have had these locos for years so GO is not ahead of the game but I will take these over the ugly behemoths they are currenty running.:)

Nice, these are going to look pretty snazzy zipping along the lakeshore.

They're new locomotives. EMD has stopped making the F-59s because they don't meet new emissions requirements. Same goes for the GE Genesis series.

It has a very Euro-look, but I prefer the look of the locomotives they use now.

where did the picture come from?

GO Transit newsletter from a few month ago... I found it online somewhere

Now if only we could see some updated passenger cars. Ours are looking a bit old. Would love to see something like the virgin trains in the UK. Perhaps some better seats, onboard video screens with news updates, etc.

They are testing tv screens as we speak.

I like the new locomotives. I look forward to seeing them on the Milton line. Of course I'd prefer service were increased. All-day service would be so awesome.

But diesel engines are so passe, not to mention very loud. If we're not going to have electric rail, then at least have the engines gas-turbine powered (just like an Abrams battletank).

Here's some info on how we should power our trains...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas...locomotive

"A gas turbine-electric locomotive, or GTEL, is a locomotive that uses a gas turbine to drive an electric generator or alternator. The electric current thus produced is used to power traction motors. This type of locomotive was first experimented with in 1920 but reached its peak in the 1950s to 1960s. Few locomotives use this system today, although there has been some level of interest by Bombardier Transportation."

Back