News   Jul 22, 2024
 382     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 425     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 467     0 

New GO Dog Policy

Except I am not sure if Toronto humans have that good sense, if they can't even be bothered to pick up after their dogs. Service animals are considerably different given the amount of training they have to go through - and they are probably better behaved than a good chunk of human dog owners - who can probably benefit from some pet training themselves before being allowed to board.

AoD

People have small dogs on flights. It will be fine.

People have small dogs on flights. It will be fine.
the standard airline policy for dogs is that they be in a compliant carrier and stowed under the seat. Which is remarkably like the old GO transit policy that this new policy replaces (in other words, animals in cages/carriers were always allowed on GO....but now we are experimenting with a more "free" form of train travel for them during off peak).

the standard airline policy for dogs is that they be in a compliant carrier and stowed under the seat. Which is remarkably like the old GO transit policy that this new policy replaces (in other words, animals in cages/carriers were always allowed on GO....but now we are experimenting with a more "free" form of train travel for them during off peak).

My reference to it was in response to the fears of dogs releasing their bowels and bladders theoretically on a VIA, not as a argument in relation to the recent GO policy change.

Last edited:
You've never seen dogs sitting on TTC seats? I see it frequently. Operators do nothing.

Worse is when you try and sit down, and you realize the seat is covered with dog fur. This wasn't a problem when dogs were simply banned. The answer then is to require cages.

5ddc-201185-dogs-ttc.jpg

You've never seen dogs sitting on TTC seats? I see it frequently. Operators do nothing.

Worse is when you try and sit down, and you realize the seat is covered with dog fur. This wasn't a problem when dogs were simply banned. The answer then is to require cages.

5ddc-201185-dogs-ttc.jpg

Or just don't sit there.

I have far more issues with people not wanting to move bags, or leaving food crumbs over seats, that dog hair issues. But, admittedly, would like to cage those people too, so perhaps I am on board with your "bring back cages" campaign after all. They will be big enough for people, right?

Still confused by your concern over farm animals. But I love goats, so I am hoping the reference means that I get to see goats on the subway. That would be awesome.

I hate to break it to you, but if dog fur gets you so worked up. You might not want to sit anywhere in public.

If you're enjoying a weeknight evening only:
Take the 445 or 515 train to West Harbour in downtown Hamilton.
Or 430/500/530/600 train to Hunter GO Downtown Hamilton
Return by a late GO bus (very fast 45 minute ride on a doubledecker)
(for weekends, you're stuck with buses only until we have weekend service)

Walking distance suggested destinations from GO stations:

Waterfront:
Go to the Hamilton Waterfront ("West Harbour" entrance is only 1 block from the east exit of the GO station. Enjoy an icecream at the waterfront near the rollerblade rink (there's an icecream shop next to Williams Cafe near the rink). If your dog is bike-rider-friendly, rent a SoBi (www.sobihamilton.com) with your dog running along with you so you can ride longer distances down the waterfront, perhaps even all the way to Desjardins Canal if you're preferring waterfront beauty.

James St North urbanization:
Walk James St North (shops, cafes) to Gore Park and then back to King William (and eat a burger at one of the new outdoor patios, e.g. HAMBRGR or FSH&CHP outdoor patio on King William (which means you can have your dog too), near you on the outside side edge

Thanks for this! I'm going to follow some of these tips verbatim. I'm planning on travel during the week when I have a slow day. Weekends are usually my prime time work days.

Or just don't sit there.
It was the last available seat.

I have far more issues with people not wanting to move bags, or leaving food crumbs over seats, that dog hair issues.
I've not once had someone not move a bag when I've politely asked - or simply pretended not to see it and started to sit down anyway. Crumbs brush off ...

Sure other stuff happens, but I don't think the answer to people clearly breaking simple rules is to say, sit somewhere else!

Still confused by your concern over farm animals. But I love goats, so I am hoping the reference means that I get to see goats on the subway. That would be awesome.
I'm humorously referring to that bizarre ad campaign on the TTC a few years ago, that made me realize that it's okay to eat dogs, and I shouldn't judge other cultures that do so. (not that I'd do so myself - someone who has eaten dog in a restaurant once described to me the taste as "wet dog" - which doesn't appeal to me; but who am I to judge?)

maxresdefault.jpg

Food debris and spilled drinks on seats are surprisingly common. Perfumed seats too. And food allergies are surprisingly common.

Washington Metro in the past used to be very strict about "no food" on their subway, with a large newspaper article I remember seeinf in my childhood about a woman sneaking a bite from a cookie, and being reprimanded by a Metro driver. In Toronto, I don't recall such strictness even for food or dogs on TTC.

That said, good responsibility should be exercised -- and not leave more unnecessary specks or molecules or atoms of any kind on a seat if you can help it -- whether it be crumbs, drink, perfume, dog, dirty backpack bottom, or whatever. (Above and beyond unavoidable incidentials like coat fabric fragments, laundry lint from your jeans, the occasional accidental dandruff flake, etc)

Last edited:

Back