News   Apr 24, 2024
 677     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 880     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 556     0 

New GO Dog Policy

Bad idea. Where is a dog going to piss on a Via train? It's all carpet.

My dog can go 6-10 hours between needing to go out (when required, usually we let her out much more frequently when we're able). I'm sure they can manage on most corridor routes.

My puggle as he got older had a sensitive bladder. No way he could go more than 3 plus hours with out peeing. My neighbor has a beautiful German shepherd husky mix that has sensitive stomach, if he eats the wrong thing, he has diarrhea. I had to get the garden hose out a few times and wash down the side walk in front of my house. What if this happens on a train?

My dog walks 10-15k a day. Maybe 6 to 8k for each walk.

I’m actually looking for urban environments. Both my dog and I enjoy the energy of cities and its people. I’m thinking Hamilton and some smaller towns with a busy downtown area.
What might be better for Hamilton, since you live downtown, is the Hamilton Express bus, much faster than the train, and you can get off at the first stop in Hamilton, then walk downtown and leave by the Hamilton Terminal, or vice-versa. I'll have some more ideas later after checking the map. Burlington might be a better choice along the lakefront, but being a cyclist, distance is a lot easier.

Btw: I will certainly sign the VIA petition!

Last edited:
I had to get the garden hose out a few times and wash down the side walk in front of my house. What if this happens on a train?
Just like a person vomiting, or a kid or older person having an 'accident'...you clean it up if you have any sense of decency. Your dogs might have issues, most don't, which is exactly why TTC, UPX and other carriers in many parts of the world allow dogs on their systems outside of peak, and have had no problems. The TTC has been doing it for generations. Obviously it hasn't been a problem, or that would have been changed.

For longer distance travel on VIA, provisos would have to apply, like having to bring an absorptive pad if the dog has to go between stops, or a charge by VIA to provide a facility to do this. At the very least, it should be looked at how other rail carriers cater for this. Many European ones charge a half fare extra, which many dog lovers would gladly pay if it facilitates comfort for all.
Public Transportation for Pets
Traveling with your pet by train
For information on traveling by train with your pet in Europe, see our article on Pet Friendly Train Travel in Europe.

Pets are allowed on many trains in Germany, France, Italy, Scotland, and England including Le Shuttle. They should be in a carrier or leashed and muzzled.
https://www.pettravel.com/passports_pubtrans.cfm

Last edited:
My puggle as he got older had a sensitive bladder. No way he could go more than 3 plus hours with out peeing. My neighbor has a beautiful German shepherd husky mix that has sensitive stomach, if he eats the wrong thing, he has diarrhea. I had to get the garden hose out a few times and wash down the side walk in front of my house. What if this happens on a train?

Well, then clearly those dogs aren’t fit to travel. Most dogs can go many hours without needing to be let out.

I’ve seen dogs on trains in Europe. European dogs aren’t any different than ours. If they can figure out a policy there, so can we.

I walk my dog several kilometres through the city every day and this just opened up the whole region for me. I’ve long wanted to take my dog on regular walks outside of Toronto but having no GO or ViaRail to get us there, my options were limited.

I’m thinking of going over to Hamilton tomorrow. I haven’t been in 10 years. Anybody know the city well and can suggest some good spots for an urban walk?

Any other suggestions anywhere on the GO network?
If you're enjoying a weeknight evening only:
Take the 445 or 515 train to West Harbour in downtown Hamilton.
Or 430/500/530/600 train to Hunter GO Downtown Hamilton
Return by a late GO bus (very fast 45 minute ride on a doubledecker)
(for weekends, you're stuck with buses only until we have weekend service)

Walking distance suggested destinations from GO stations:

Waterfront:
Go to the Hamilton Waterfront ("West Harbour" entrance is only 1 block from the east exit of the GO station. Enjoy an icecream at the waterfront near the rollerblade rink (there's an icecream shop next to Williams Cafe near the rink). If your dog is bike-rider-friendly, rent a SoBi (www.sobihamilton.com) with your dog running along with you so you can ride longer distances down the waterfront, perhaps even all the way to Desjardins Canal if you're preferring waterfront beauty.

James St North urbanization:
Walk James St North (shops, cafes) to Gore Park and then back to King William (and eat a burger at one of the new outdoor patios, e.g. HAMBRGR or FSH&CHP outdoor patio on King William (which means you can have your dog too), near you on the outside side edge

This is solved by not taking older dogs with sensitive bladders, or dogs with sensitive stomachs, on trains. Voila - solution!

This is solved by not taking older dogs with sensitive bladders, or dogs with sensitive stomachs, on trains. Voila - solution!

Train stations can install 'animal relief areas' aka dog bathrooms, like a lot of airports are doing for service animals.

b92fd5ade0f2843d6f332624691a0d67--dog-bathroom-dog-pee.jpg

Train stations can install 'animal relief areas' aka dog bathrooms, like a lot of airports are doing for service animals.
A fire hydrant isn't of any use in evoking urination.

There's a lot of confusion about the difference between 'marking' and 'urinating'. Even Tom Cats can be trained not to mark inside (it helps to allow them to do it just outside the entrance, it permits them to mark their territory without having a stench indoors). How do you train them? The same way you teach children.

I have to emphasise that a lot of persons have failed to impart best habits in their pets, just as they've failed to do so with their children (feet on seats, littering, unruly behaviour, etc). It doesn't mean those who have well behaved pets should be denied carriage. Whenever I have the Big Black Lab with me (he's not mine, but we spend a lot of time together, I'm between dogs right now) it's always a social situation, as many people melt with some dogs, and it brightens up the travel experience for almost all concerned. You end up having conversations with people you'd never have had otherwise, which is a huge plus for society.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Dog-Behavior-How-to-Tell-if-as-Dog-is-Marking-or-Urinating

Last edited:
Over there, when properly done, they intentionally "pre-mark" those cue objects outdoors first. Until dogs are attracted to it (indication of marking). That is what I heard. "Plop it in a doggy park until it is marked kinda thing" or pretrained "mark that!" dog or two, or at a doggy daycamp or such. So the "dog bathrooms" have the necessary marking scents, probably. Presumably, they simply used a familiar shape used worldwide (generic fire hydrant) to amplify the smell-permission and owner-obviousness.

It's not perfect, but I gotta admit - very creative.

Some minor training may be needed for your pet (permitted indoor "bathroom" areas, often trained in tall apartments elsewhere) since many are trained not to urinate indoors under all conditions. Multiple cues (markings + familiar shape) are done to lessen the potential confusion for your companion.

If you also trained your dog a "use bathroom" signal (e.g. to gently tell your dog to speed up), that also helps.

It is not easy to teach, but highly recommended to teach your pup a "relieve yourself ASAP" signal before you bring your dog to those doggy bathrooms.

That way, you have at least three or more familiarity cues to say its okay to relieve:
1. Premarked object (most important cue)
2. Familiar shape to other commonly marked objects
3. Owner signal for "use bathroom" or "relieve now if you can"
4. Recognition of "doggy bathrooms" as permitted relief (trained by some condo dwellers, essentially the dog equivalent of a litter box)

Then that more easily gets over the "unsure dog" barrier getting the conficting cues (an indoors marked object)

Sure, one may thumb their noses at owners who never give their dogs exercise, but some indoor pets just can't handle -30C blizzards (too freaked to bathroom), so sometimes responsible owners train the "doggy litter box" into their pup, even if they walk 95% of the time. These dogs really quickly understand the public dog bathrooms (shortest or no further training), given the "multiple cues" scenario.

Never heard that this was possible? Google it, some trainers have been able to teach this. Dogs can be trained to pee or poop on request "if they have not yet". It is useful when you are walking past the last patch of snow before stepping onto an asphalt parking lot or entering a vet. Once they recognize the signal, see the pattern (e.g. opportunities dissapear after your signal), they then easily understand it's their final chance to relieve in a while, and your signal is helpful to your sweetie, knowing you are happy when they do it.

It is amazing how some cities/countries have a different dog culture, given different bathroom trainings.

Last edited:

Except I am not sure if Toronto humans have that good sense, if they can't even be bothered to pick up after their dogs. Service animals are considerably different given the amount of training they have to go through - and they are probably better behaved than a good chunk of human dog owners - who can probably benefit from some pet training themselves before being allowed to board.

AoD

Last edited:

Back