Navigating in Toronto can be tricky

F

FutureMayor

January 10, 2007

Navigating in Toronto can be tricky

BY LARRY JOHNSTON
FLORIDA TODAY
ADVERTISEMENT

Last week, you found me in Toronto. I relived the guided tour on a double-decker bus with a jocular driver.

Today I travel the city by foot, bus and subway. Toronto also is the home to the largest streetcar system in North America.

Come along.

Toronto has the greatest ethnic diversity of any city in the world.

For example, there are 400,000 Asian Indians in one section.

Want to meet someone from Korea? Take your pick from 82,000 of them. Latin Americans? Plenty. Yugoslavian? How many would you like? Chinese? 600,000. Italians? More than Domino's has pizzas.

Toronto doesn't just accept outsiders; it embraces them. In the Greek section, street signs are in English and Greek. Only New York City and Melbourne, Australia, have more expatriated Greeks in the world, and I doubt they offer the same courtesy.

After a hearty lunch, I decided to find public transportation to get to a distant attraction.

I must add a word about Toronto's transportation symbols. Hidden. Uncertain. Infuriating. Senseless. Pick any one of them. What possible reason could there be for a city to have such a fine subway system and then camouflage the entrances so perfectly? For bus signs they elected to use a green blob symbol resembling a squashed baker's hat.

Shouldn't a sign be obvious, easy to identify and easy to describe? Me: "How do I find a bus stop?" City resident: "Well, the easiest way is to wait on the corner until a bus goes by and run like hell until it stops." Me: "Thanks a lot."

So, riding in a cab to where I needed to go, we passed through another ethnic area where the elderly males wore lime green and checkered pants pulled up to nearly their armpits. The women wore hairnets, socks and square-healed shoes, which can only be described as combat pumps. I asked our driver from what strange country these octogenarians hail. "The United States," he yelled. Oh.

Inevitably, we drove past the Hockey Hall of Fame. There had to be one in Canada. With all the dirty fights during games, I expect they display famous broken teeth inside.

I really don't understand the ethics of hockey. Someone on another team does something you don't like, so you take off your gloves and beat them senseless. For this offense, you sit in a penalty box for 60 seconds while they wipe the blood off the ice.

Later, you achieve notoriety because the beating is the only part of the game they broadcast on TV.

What message does this send to children? Expel a few players for life and it may become a game again.

Across the street I found Wayne Gretzky's restaurant. Special of the day, no doubt: knuckle sandwich.

At the end of the day, we decided to leave town by the subway. I found a stairway with people going up and down and some strange symbols over the entrance. We got our fare ready. At the bottom we went through some doors. It was not the subway but a Chinese restaurant. This was typical Toronto.

We took the cab home. The meal was good, though.

Louroz

Time to pick it apart.

I must add a word about Toronto's transportation symbols. Hidden. Uncertain. Infuriating. Senseless. Pick any one of them. What possible reason could there be for a city to have such a fine subway system and then camouflage the entrances so perfectly? For bus signs they elected to use a green blob symbol resembling a squashed baker's hat.

I agree with his assessment of the subway station signs – they aren’t the easiest to find, with the TTC logo often the only thing marking some of the entrances. I have no idea what he is talking about with the “green squashed baker’s hatâ€, though I do find them lacking information (like routes served) that you see elsewhere.

I really don't understand the ethics of hockey. Someone on another team does something you don't like, so you take off your gloves and beat them senseless. For this offense, you sit in a penalty box for 60 seconds while they wipe the blood off the ice.

Later, you achieve notoriety because the beating is the only part of the game they broadcast on TV.

Shows he knows nothing about hockey, never mind the ethics. 60 seconds for beating up another player? Did he learn everything about hockey by watching Slap Shot? The minimum penalty time, of course, is 120 seconds of play, but a beating up another player usually becomes a 5 minute and/or a game misconduct. Could we please take back the Atlanta Thrashers, Tampa Bay Lightning and the Miami Panthers? (took me a few minutes to remember the name of those useless teams) Obviously the South doesn’t appreciate it.

For example, there are 400,000 Asian Indians in one section.

400,000 South Asians in one section? That’s almost the size of Brampton, or 2/3 the size of Scarborough. I’m guessing it’s 400,000 across the whole Metro area.

The (semi) positive press is good, but I hate the compete inaccuracies.

He's from Florida, is it any wonder that using public transportation confuses 'em?

That's funny... but what about the thousands of planners in Toronto for the annual meeting of the Professional Convention Management Association?

He spent a good chunk of the article complaining about hockey. I find that a little strange.

At the end of the day, we decided to leave town by the subway. I found a stairway with people going up and down and some strange symbols over the entrance. We got our fare ready. At the bottom we went through some doors. It was not the subway but a Chinese restaurant. This was typical Toronto.

Where could have he been going? One of those lower level restaurants in Chinatown? How could he mistake that for a subway?

I assume it's satire, and also assume that he can't read Chinese!

What gives it away is that he assumes he can "get out of town" by subway! :lol

It does have some ring of truth, with regards to hockey. :rolleyes

I guess the green blob was the GO logo. I have to admit that transit signs should have more than a picture of the transit agency logo. The newer TTC station signs have the symbol for subway, streetcar, and bus... the older ones just have the TTC sheild which wouldn't mean anything to people from out of town. Does he really expect us to beleive that he saw Chinese symbols and figured that it was more "green blobs" on the the signage and because it was downstairs it must have been the subway? Good grief.

Most cities have only a logo at their subway entrances, when I travel I quickly grow attuned to the logo and it works for me. Sounds like he is unfamiliar with the concept. But an amusing article.

Amusing, yeah sort of, but helpful? Nope. People get paid for this klind of thing?

^No kidding. It reads like a 6th grade 'what I did on my vacation' composition- meandering with no point.

Back