News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 441     0 

Music Stores (HMV, Virgin, Sunrise)

I found a hard-to-find CD at Sonic Boom in the Annex. They've got a pretty massive selection. It's about 50% used and 50% new, and if it's used they're not going to sell you a CD with any scratches.

Probably the best CD store in Toronto, though mostly for newer and eclectic music, is Soundscapes on College.

Heard on the radio today: the Music World chain has declared bankruptcy. Not clear yet how many stores, if any, will remain in operation. The era of the retail music store seems to be passing.

The contraction of HMV Canada has begun.

They will be closing about 40% of their 333 Yonge Superstore this Fall. Basically, the south building (that was added in the mid-1990s) will be closing down amounting to a loss of about 40% of their floorspace. It probably won't be considered a "superstore" anymore either.

The contraction of HMV Canada has begun.

They will be closing about 40% of their 333 Yonge Superstore this Fall. Basically, the south building (that was added in the mid-1990s) will be closing down amounting to a loss of about 40% of their floorspace. It probably won't be considered a "superstore" anymore either.

That's pretty sad :(

I wonder what will take that spot?

Mistake

I think HMV, like Sam's before it; and the music industry as a whole, have made one mistake after the other.

They just haven't thought about how to adapt to new technologies and a changing marketplace.

Its Sad. I miss Sam's; and I miss what HMV was when it was a cool place to browse music.

Obviously there are 2 serious pressures on music retail; via the internet; one is convenience (d/l from home) and the other is price (free is cheaper).

While undoubtedly, the above would have put a dent in the legal retail trade no matter what; it didn't need to be this severe.

Aside from cutting back on price gouging (CDs in Canada are still typically $2-3 above U.S. prices......)

I know what I would pay for, and go to a store to buy.

1) I want selection, while the online selection is very large, at any given time you may have trouble finding what you want for free. First winning proposition, HMV should carry EVERY song every published. Obviously not all would be on CD, but you do that through a website and an instore database which you can burn to CD.

2) They should have added a burn your own CD service ages ago; one where you can pay track by track till you fill the space. If they matched the online pricing ...with (if your bring your own CD), $.99c per track, 10% off on 10 or more tracks, they're business would spike overnight. If you don't bring a CD you buy it for $2.00 (blank). You could also print your album cover art, have a choice of images for either custom CDs or a band's album. The price could vary for the the image/art used.

3) Then they need staff who have a passion for and a knowledge of music. I want staff you have in their head what Last.fm does with algorithms. If you like ' X '; you'll love 'Y'. Further if I can hum a tune, they should be able to name it, tell me the artist, the album, the year and where to find it!

If you do the above you have a value proposition that's worth paying for; one that when factored with faster than downloading and virus-free guaranteed tunes, equals a healthy business.

Sadly HMV instead decided on selling DVD's, reducing selection, dumping independents, no burning your own CDs, cutting staff who they have to pay more cause they know something; and leaving excessive prices in place.

Lousy management makes for a failing business. :(

I

Blaming HMV management is ridiculous. Virtually every major music retailer in North America has gone under. HMV is one of the few that still remains. They've done a great job considering the cards dealt to them.

Blame

With the greatest of respect...

We differ on this point.

I don't disagree that the other record chains were similarly poorly managed.

The results speak for themselves.

I was articulating; and I maintain, that if they (HMV) had implemented certain strategies, they would have held on to at least some business from me.

Moreover, I know many others who feel the same way.

That they chose not to offer a burn-your-own CD program, to not cut prices, to reduce selection and hours; I'm not sure how anyone could call that good strategy.

Indeed, their business continues to implode; whether or not what I suggested would have mitigated this in your mind, certainly the direction they chose has been unsuccessful.

They held on longer than other chains, largely on the strength of deeper pockets, better real estate and picking up marketshare as other companies shut their doors.

All of that though, has only delayed the inevitable.

Its not that I relish that. I'm saddened by it. But I hardly feel my comments are ridiculous.

If you ran any retail business on a strategy of not giving the customer what they wanted, not reducing price when faced with competition and cutting hours and selection, you would reasonably expect that business to go bust.

Surely no one could articulate that the strategy has been; or ever could have been seen to be a successful one.

Back