News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 732     0 

Multiplexes

Took this bad shot of 1596 Dundas West and looked it up. Only thing that I found was this item from 2021 but link goes nowhere. Is there another way to find out what is planned?

IMG_2701.jpeg

IMG_2703.png
IMG_2702.png

Took this bad shot of 1596 Dundas West and looked it up. Only thing that I found was this item from 2021 but link goes nowhere. Is there another way to find out what is planned?

Building Permits say the proposal is to alter by constructing a third floor addition, a fourth floor addition, a rear four-storey addition, and a rooftop terrace to result in nine new residential dwelling units and one commercial unit.

Thanks! I will try looking at Building Permits! And it is interesting to see how many of these are going up!

I believe, If you stick to a triplex, then you won't need the two staircases.
What if I consider one unit for the 2nd and 3rd floors together? So that means one unit in the basement, one on the main floor, and one on the 2nd and 3rd. It's still fourplex, but with fewer units.

What if I consider one unit for the 2nd and 3rd floors together? So that means one unit in the basement, one on the main floor, and one on the 2nd and 3rd. It's still fourplex, but with fewer units.
Not sure I follow. You say 1 unit in the bsmt , 1 on main floor, and 1 on the 2nd&3rd Floor. How is that a fourplex?

I am guessing you meant to say have 2 units on the GND floor or the Main floor? If that is the case, then you should be allowed 4 units without the need for a second stair case, provided you don't have a standalone unit on 3rd floor.

Last edited:
A triplex implies 3 units. Not three levels.

My understand here is that the question isn’t about triplexes vs four-plexes. In fact, @Hessam300 was very clear they were considering a multiplex.

The issue is whether they need two means of egress if there is a habitable unit in the basement as well as the three aboveground floors. To my understanding the NBC requires two means of egress for any four-story building. The question is, does a habitable below ground floor factor towards that story count.

Short answer: I don’t know. Does anyone here have a definitive answer? If not, a quick, paid consult with an architect seems like the wisest option.

Not sure I follow. You say 1 unit in the bsmt , 1 on main floor, and 1 on the 2nd&3rd Floor. How is that a fourplex?

I am guessing you meant to say have 2 units on the GND floor or the Main floor? If that is the case, then you should be allowed 4 units without the need for a second stair case, provided you don't have a standalone unit on 3rd floor.
My bad, it's not fourplex anymore; it's triplex, but in four stories.

My bad, it's not fourplex anymore; it's triplex, but in four stories.
Yes. If you have one unit in the Basement, one on GND floor and one covering the 2nd & 3rd floor, then you don't need a stairwell from the GND to the 3rd floor area, and can have just one set of stairwell leading to the 2nd floor area of that unit. But you will obviously need a staircase leading from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor which can be internal :)

Back