News   Jul 22, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 529     0 

Moving to Mississauga: advice?

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've just got a job in Mississauga and I'm looking for advice on rental properties. I can afford to spend about $900 - $1000/month. So far I've been thinking basement apartments. Thoughts?

I'd like to live pretty close to work (near Matheson and Hurontario). I can take some time in finding a place. I don't know Mississauga very well, so any advice would be appreciated.

Well the big question is if you have a car or not.

If you do I would definitely suggest living somewhere around square one. There are tons of new condos in that area and it's the most lively one... lots of stuff to do (relative to the rest of Mississauga).

That's what I like about this forum: useful advice from all sides. :rolleyes:

He states that he wants to pay $900 to $1,000 per month. I suspect that you'd have a hard time finding units around Square One at those rates.

Agreed that it is a consideration whether he has a car, although Matheson and Hurontario is very well served by transit.

My advice is to look in the old Cooksville area around Hurontario and Dundas. There are many apartments along Hurontario itself, and streets like Confederation Parkway south of Dundas, Kirwin, Jaguar Valley, etc. You could probably commute using only one bus.

Thanks Walt. I do have a car, but as I said, I'd like to live within 10 km or so of work. Transit as an option would be appealing. I didn't notice whether any buses ran on Matheson.

I might also point out to the posters above that living in Toronto while working in Mississauga is as bad as living in Mississauga and working in Toronto. It's not very environmentally conscious to suggest I live farther away from work...

My advice is to look in the old Cooksville area around Hurontario and Dundas. There are many apartments along Hurontario itself, and streets like Confederation Parkway south of Dundas, Kirwin, Jaguar Valley, etc.

Good advice..by car, your commute to Matheson would only be about 10-15 minutes...by bus, a little longer...there are a couple of decent buildings on Argyle Road...

Don't go the basement apartment route - they are just brutal...

I'm renting a condo next to Square One at the moment and you definitely won't find anything around $1000 there--even the older buildings down south around Cooksville GO station were $1200 and up. But for straight up apartment rentals I believe the area off Central Parkway/Mississauga Valley (just east of Hurontario) has a variety in sizes and prices and the location is pretty central. Not the best units but better than a basement apartment.

Although houses dominate above the 403 there are buildings further north and closer to Matheson but I'm not sure about prices--I suspect they will be somewhat similar to Square One pricing because its more condos than apartments.

See what's around Eglinton/Hurontario or Mavis/Eglinton. Mississauga Valley might work well. Port Credit might be a little far, but that area is my favourite part of Mississauga, the one place I could live and feel like I'm in a walkable, urban area. Some of the older rental towers by the GO station are sketchy though.

Also, look at the far south end of Brampton - there's some buildings around Hurontario and County Court that aren't bad, and by Brampton standards, it's not that bad an area. It's not much further to Matheson than MCC and the prices might be lower. The Mississauga 19/202 bus goes by here as well.

That's what I like about this forum: useful advice from all sides. :rolleyes:

He states that he wants to pay $900 to $1,000 per month. I suspect that you'd have a hard time finding units around Square One at those rates.

Agreed that it is a consideration whether he has a car, although Matheson and Hurontario is very well served by transit.

My advice is to look in the old Cooksville area around Hurontario and Dundas. There are many apartments along Hurontario itself, and streets like Confederation Parkway south of Dundas, Kirwin, Jaguar Valley, etc. You could probably commute using only one bus.

I'm certain you could find something near sq1 for that price. Perhaps not a massive one-bedroom unit... but at least a studio, or a 2 bedroom place with a roomate perhaps..

How about a rental in Etobicoke? Say near the 427 and Burnhamthorpe? That means you can still take the TTC downtown, live in a semi-urban area yet within a 10 minute drive to work. Surely there's some rental bargains in that area?

That's a pretty good suggestion.

I work near Square One, and when I first moved to Toronto I chose an apartment right near Islington Station. Reasonable biking distance to work, or, one MT bus to work, and also an easy subway ride to downtown.

Of course, to get up to Hurontario and Matheson you'd have to take two MT buses, but the options are actually quite quick. The #19 along Hurontario is very frequent.

Now I live closer to downtown Toronto, but it's still a nice bike ride and simple TTC/MT commute too.

Etobicoke to Hurontario/Matheson would be a hellish bus ride, an hour each day, unless you use the 27 (rush hour only), which is very unreliable and still be a 40 minute bus ride.

The only good location outside of Mississauga is Shopper's World area as SeanTrans suggest. Hurontario/Paisley and Hurontario/Elm are the best locations in Mississauga in terms of costs and transit. All of these locations have an express bus stop and would be a 15-25 minute bus ride to work.

Back