News   Jul 22, 2024
 205     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 530     0 

Moving to Mississauga: advice?

Out of curiousity, why are basement apartments so awful? I know some are bad, as with any kind of rental housing, but I've seen some decent places in Waterloo for instance. Is there something about basement apartments in Mississauga in particular?

I intend to shop around. As it is, I can live with my sister for the medium term, at the cost of a 1 hr each way commute.

Is there something about basement apartments in Mississauga in particular?

not really, it's just the one's that I have seen are farking cold in the winter...also, most houses have just the wooden floor separating upstairs from downstairs, so there is very little soundproofing.....

also, the vast majority of the basement apartments in Mississauga are not registered with the city, and are therefore technically illegal....homeowners are reluctant to register, as by doing so their taxes go up...but just make sure that your bsmt apt, if you go that route, has at least two ways out in case of fire - i.e., a separate entrance, plus a staircase inside to the upstairs where the lock is on the basement side...

Basement apartments

Many basement do not conform to the fire standards, exits, wiring and plumbing that is required for additional occupants in a house.

A history of the grand fathering confusion is available here. http://www.eleganthomesinwesttoronto.com/ShowResources.cfm?Pageid=48374&TypeOfPage=1

Many home owner's can and do build summer kitchens and extra rooms in their basement for the use of their own [extended] family.

At arms length rental units must have; smooth (drywall) ceilings in kitchen areas [not suspended ceiling tiles] Often system like plumbing and hot water heaters are taxed by the extra use. Heating and Ventilation is not accomodated in "amateur" built basement apartments. Often side door setbacks do not meet municipal code, just to name a very few. If someone else built the basement you ASSUME that permits were obtained and inspections conducted. Fire retrofit status disclaimers do nothing to SAVE Harmless the seller as certificates of compliance take years to get, and are primarily for 5 + unit buildings ( installation of fire extinguishers, publishing and posting a fireplan and floorplans, exits signs illuminated, emergency lighting on stairwells.

Income from basement apartments cannot be used to qualify for mortgage debt.

Brampton is the most visible "enforcer" of the laws using the MLS system to track homes with " nanny flats" " in Law suites" and "Separate side entrance" descriptions.

That $ 25,000 fine remarked above was 2nd offence.

No need to worry; according to Mississauga Muse all the rats are at city hall.

Back