News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Movies that feature Toronto

I know the Total Recall remake is filming in a toronto studio/warehouse of some sort, but is it actually filming in Toronto streets? a big action movie like this needs some toronto love on the big screen.

I've noticed a considerable increase in filming around downtown since about late-fall/mid-winter. It was becoming a rare event to see location filming, not anymore. I don't know if it's for film or television but it's great to see the return of trucks and vans parked along streets with miles of cable to navigate around.

what are the tax benefits for filming in Toronto like? (compared to other cities), i know that's one of the big factors that determine where movies are shot. I know Toronto isn't the prettiest most "wow factor" city to film in, but some areas can look amazing with the right camera angles.

what are the tax benefits for filming in Toronto like? (compared to other cities), i know that's one of the big factors that determine where movies are shot. I know Toronto isn't the prettiest most "wow factor" city to film in, but some areas can look amazing with the right camera angles.

After seeing the way the city looked in recent movies such as Chloe and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, I really wondered how Toronto could be so overlooked because it became clear there was no excuse not just from a philosophical standpoint, but also from an aesthetic standpoint. Toronto definitely has the wow factory which translates on film, even in the duller days of winter. It just takes some experience to know how best to capture the city's beauty, experience which has been lacking thus far among the big filmmakers. Portraying the city as somewhere else doesn't count, since it involves merely applying a different, familiar aesthetic of a frequently-filmed city onto Toronto.

Whatever! Why do you think Toronto stands in place as NYC so much? It's because of it's "wow" factor. We are very lucky to live in such a great city, despite how much we love to complain about it.

I know the Total Recall remake is filming in a toronto studio/warehouse of some sort, but is it actually filming in Toronto streets?

I can confirm that Total Recall has shot at least some scenes on the streets. My workplace (81 Peter Street) received one of those "We will be filming on your street" notices that specifically mentioned Total Recall. I didn't actually see the filming happen, though, so I don't know if it was a major scene or second unit work.

After seeing the way the city looked in recent movies such as Chloe and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, I really wondered how Toronto could be so overlooked because it became clear there was no excuse not just from a philosophical standpoint, but also from an aesthetic standpoint. Toronto definitely has the wow factory which translates on film, even in the duller days of winter. It just takes some experience to know how best to capture the city's beauty, experience which has been lacking thus far among the big filmmakers. Portraying the city as somewhere else doesn't count, since it involves merely applying a different, familiar aesthetic of a frequently-filmed city onto Toronto.

Look no further than many of our very own UT members who brilliantly capture our beautiful city year 'round in still photography. There is rarely a day or two that goes by when someone here doesn't manage to "WOW" me with their photographs of Toronto.

The Toronto Film and Television Office has a list of productions currently filming in Toronto here.

Last edited:
Another new TV show called Alphas is being filmed in Toronto. It's on the SyFy channel. Toronto plays NYC yet again! Some very obvious Toronto settings are used in this one, compared to other shows that are more subtle. I wish Toronto was big enough that shows could just say it's Toronto, and not have to stand in place for NYC all the time.

Anyway, here are some screenshots from the show.

Kops Records on Queen West:
Alphas%20-%20Kops%20Records.jpg

1 King West:
Alphas%20-%201%20King%20West.jpg

Bowlerama West:
Alphas%20-%20Bowlerama%20West.jpg

Thompson Hotel:
Alphas%20-%20Thompson%20Hotel%20(1).jpg

Thompson Hotel Interior:
Alphas%20-%20Thompson%20Hotel%20(2).jpg

Cityplace from Thompson Hotel Roof:
Alphas%20-%20Thompson%20Hotel%20(3).jpg

Another new TV show called Alphas is being filmed in Toronto. It's on the SyFy channel. Toronto plays NYC yet again! Some very obvious Toronto settings are used in this one, compared to other shows that are more subtle. I wish Toronto was big enough that shows could just say it's Toronto, and not have to stand in place for NYC all the time.

They're also filming in Hamilton. The recently debuted Combat Hospital is also filmed in the GTA.

Last edited:
A new NBC show called Against the Wall will be starting filming at the Radisson Hotel on Queen's Quay

Back