News   Jun 20, 2024
 416     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 610     0 

Movie Theatres in Toronto - Old and New

As I recall the entrance was across from Shoppers -- it was essentially at the stairwell that comes down from Bloor at the Hudson's Bay entrance.

I would really love it if Doors Open could include it in their event, just for old times' sake. (And I really do find it fascinating that there is this huge finished space lying empty in this mall.)

It would be pretty interesting if the original empty theatre still existed underneath or behind whatever facade or storefront they put in there. If memory serves where I think the entrance was, there is a small variety shop there now.

Who knows, maybe it's being used for storage by the Bay, but it would be cool if there was still a way to get down there and see what exists.

Seems odd there are absolutely no images of this place that I can find on the internet.

As I recall the entrance was across from Shoppers -- it was essentially at the stairwell that comes down from Bloor at the Hudson's Bay entrance.

I would really love it if Doors Open could include it in their event, just for old times' sake. (And I really do find it fascinating that there is this huge finished space lying empty in this mall.)

The entrance was in between the two sets of doors that lead from Bloor Street (just east of the RBC pavilion) to the Concourse and subway. If you went through the first set of doors from the sidewalk, there were two poster boxes on the left for "now playing" films, down 5 or 6 steps and the entrance was at the bottom of the steps on the left before the next set of doors leading to the mall. There used to be two more poster boxes next to Laura Secord plus two panels with letters on them with the feature titles & showtimes, those were emergency exits for cinema #1.
No one here has been able to figure out what's going on down there now however I think it's Starbucks that is now using the upper lobby/box office & manager's office areas as a rental space now but it's accessible from the mall side around the corner from where the cinema entrance used to be.

I'd like to know what's left of The Cinema in the TD Centre, I've read that it's used as storage space. I'd been in it three or four times back in the 70's so I have a fairly faithful memory of it. I walked around the PATH under the TD Centre one night two or three winters ago trying to remember or identify where the entrance & lobby used to be, but was unsuccessful.

From what I can recall, this space is now being used as a data processing centre; rows and rows of massive computers.

From what I can recall, this space is now being used as a data processing centre; rows and rows of massive computers.

The Cinema in the TD Centre or the Plaza Cinemas?

Two other "phantom" cinema spaces that come to mind, the original 6-plex (well, originally two cinemas that opened in 1964 then expanded to six in 1987) in the basement at Yorkdale and the old Fairview twin cinemas in the basement at the north-west end of Fairview Mall.

I was referring to the Plaza Cinemas. In regards to the TD Cinema, Mies Van Der Rohe also designed the chairs, a few of which ended up in furniture collectors hands across the city.

Last edited:
I don't think it's going to work, I'll bet by the end of the first year they'll also be playing alternative/foreign & second run films along with docs. to help fill the seats. I do hope that they succeed though, this is the best renovation that the Bloor has had in at least half a century.

The Bloor Hot Docs theatre will host Toronto After Dark's summer screenings and then their film festival from Oct. 18th - 26th. Toronto After Dark is a film festival that focuses on sci-fi, horror & action films.

AMC in Canada will soon be no more. In Ontario Cineplex picked up AMC Yonge & Dundas 24, AMC Winston Churchill 24 in Oakville and AMC Courtney Park 16 in Mississauga and Empire picked up AMC Whitby 24 in Toronto and AMC Kanata 24 in Ottawa. The two remaining GTA locations, AMC Interchange 30 and AMC Kennedy Commons 24 will close if a buyer can't be found soon.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ti...Entertainment-Inc.®-Divest-Canadian-Locations

Last edited:
AMC in Canada will soon be no more. In the Ontario Cineplex picked up AMC Yonge & Dundas 24, AMC Winston Churchill 24 in Oakville and AMC Courtney Park 16 in Mississauga and Empire picked up AMC Whitby 24 in Toronto and AMC Kanata 24 in Ottawa. The two remaining GTA locations, AMC Interchange 30 and AMC Kennedy Commons 24 will close if a buyer can't be found soon.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ti...Entertainment-Inc.®-Divest-Canadian-Locations

I knew this is going to happen. Canada is too small for A.M.C. and lack of good retail space. Also plus the duopoly between Empire and Cineplex. I'm very sure no one would buy the Interchange since it is across from the popular Colossus theatre.

I have recently purchased a membership to the Revue (Roncy), and am enjoying the $7 films. I will be seeing Whit Stillman's latest film there this week.

It's wonderful that a little "Nabe" cinema like the Revue is still operating. It's too bad the old Brighton down the street could be reinstated as well. Oh well...count your blessings I guess.

Empire Theatres took over the two former AMC theatre complexes on Friday July 6th, Kanata 24 in Kanata, Ontario, and the Whitby 24 in Whitby, Ontario. Nothing is public yet as to when Cineplex will absorb Yonge and Dundas 24 in Toronto, Courtney Park 16 Mississauga, Winston Churchill 24 Oakville and Forum 22 in Montreal but it should be soon. Yonge & Dundas will be tricky because all of it's cinemas have digital projectors which all have to be removed and new digital projectors installed between when AMC moves out, and Cineplex moves in due to an exclusive agreement AMC has with Sony (digital). IMAX is the only auditorium that doesn't have to be changed out at Yonge and Dundas. Other AMC's have a mix of digital and 35MM projection making the transition a little easier as only the digital projectors have to be switched.

Back