News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 658     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 931     0 

Movie Theatres in Toronto - Old and New

Toronto Star article, Building a better movie theatre, suggests that reserved seating is a good thing. I disagree. What if you reserve your seat and find that you are right in front of some chatty teenagers? You can't move because other seats are reserved by other people. I like the freedom of choosing my own seat when I enter the theatre, first-come, first-served. I try to keep away from groups and try to get a seat on the aisle. On occassion I've moved if noisy people choose to sit near me. I certainly have no interest in paying a premium for reserved seats at Cineplex UltraAVX screenings.

Last edited:
Toronto Star article, Building a better movie theatre, suggests that reserved seating is a good thing. I disagree. What if you reserve your seat and find that you are right in front of some chatty teenagers? You can't move because other seats are reserved by other people. I like the freedom of choosing my own seat when I enter the theatre, first-come, first-served. I try to keep away from groups and try to get a seat on the aisle. On occassion I've moved if noisy people choose to sit near me. I certainly have no interest in paying a premium for reserved seats at Cineplex UltraAVX screenings.

Really? I mean I understand your point, but I love having the option of paying a bit more for reserved seating. Case in point any long-awaited new release. I have great seats for Batman on Saturday night and I know my seat is safe, and a good seat at that. I also know I don't have to show up 2 hours before the showing just to line up with a bunch of kids.

Seems a bizarre idea. I can't remember the last time I was in a cinema that was full 15 minutes before showtime. Worst come to worst, you arrive a few minutes early.

I suppose if one really wants to see the hottest movie in town, on the first night, then it might be useful ... but surely, for most showing, such a mechanism would only serve to pack more people into the cinema. I can see why cinema owners might like it.

Not really useful when you discover your reserved seat is behind the 6-foot tall man with the weird hair-do.

I'd much be much happier to see the 3rd Batman movie in a few weeks, when the crowds die down. Though is it really worth seeing. Surely Keaton is getting a bit old for the part ...

I'm upset that I never once saw a movie at the Cumberland Theatres before they closed earlier this year. Were they any good?

The Cumberland was a typical 1970's/early 1980's mall style type cinema complex spanning three levels. Seating ranged from 200 to 320 seats, the screens were normal size for when they were built but very small by today's standards. The sound systems were all digital & decent but certainly not sonic monsters like the new cinemas. What really made Cumberland Cinemas unique was the art on the walls which was changed out regularly, concession offerings, the staff were exceptional (they still had ushers that used flashlights to get you to your seat if you arrived late) and the type of films that they played. The place was really well booked with great foreign and independent films with a smattering of quality Hollywood films.

Seems a bizarre idea. I can't remember the last time I was in a cinema that was full 15 minutes before showtime. Worst come to worst, you arrive a few minutes early.

One word, IMAX. They're packed for the first few weeks and getting good seats (around the centre and not in the first 10 or so rows) is really important for a good view of the screen without getting a crick in your neck!

Not being able to move if people nearby are talking, flipping their smartphone open every 10 minutes or unknowingly kicking your seat is a really good point. I never go when it's busy anymore, I wait two or three weeks if it's a popular film and then see it on a weekday afternoon (if I can) or evening when it's not so busy. I've no patience for noisy people either. Reserved seating has positives and a few negatives, I'm really indifferent about it.

One word, IMAX.
Reserved seating for IMAX ... and for big premiers might make sense.

No, Adam West is in this one.
Oh, what a shame. I thought it was that new guy Keaton. I loved West, but I never saw his movie - only the TV show over and over again ... every afternoon ... on Global if I remember correctly. So I guess there's no point going ...

Reserved seating for IMAX ... and for big premiers might make sense.

Oh, what a shame. I thought it was that new guy Keaton. I loved West, but I never saw his movie - only the TV show over and over again ... every afternoon ... on Global if I remember correctly. So I guess there's no point going ...

I really hope this is sarcasm or I have to question what planet you live on...

nfitz may be happy to read:

July 26th - And here's something pretty cool: Consider this Rumor Mill-worthy, but we've been hearing in recent weeks that Warner Home Video and 20th Century Fox are finally making moves toward releasing the the classic 1960s Batman TV series (starting Adam West and Burt Ward) on disc. Multiple sources who have spoken to the actors in recent weeks have heard from them that something was finally in the works as far as a DVD release. As many of you know, Warner owns the rights to the characters but Fox owns the TV show, so working out a deal has been difficult. This has apparently been complicated by the fact that Dark Knight feature film director Christopher Nolan didn't want older, campier versions of Batman competing for audience attention with his more serious film version. But now that his trilogy is done, it appears the situation has changed. Variety ran a story last month suggesting that new licensing deals on the 60s series have been worked out, and new products are already starting to be announced. So it appears that there could finally be some BIFF!, BAM! and POW! on your TV screens come 2013. More as it comes in.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#072612

On one had it's sarcasm over the constant recasting of Batman. On the other hand, I haven't seen one since Keaton left the role ... and based on the comments I've heard about his two successors, it was the right move. And also a sarcastic comment about the constant reboots. Superman Returns was a great movie, and instead of a sequel, it's being rebooted again? The Spiderman movies seemed to be going very well ... and instead yet another reboot?

What's the point of going to any of these movies, if there'll be a remake out shortly after. It's kind of like watching a Friday evening TV show on Fox ... you know it's going to be cancelled ... so what's the point.

On one had it's sarcasm over the constant recasting of Batman. On the other hand, I haven't seen one since Keaton left the role ... and based on the comments I've heard about his two successors, it was the right move. And also a sarcastic comment about the constant reboots. Superman Returns was a great movie, and instead of a sequel, it's being rebooted again? The Spiderman movies seemed to be going very well ... and instead yet another reboot?

What's the point of going to any of these movies, if there'll be a remake out shortly after. It's kind of like watching a Friday evening TV show on Fox ... you know it's going to be cancelled ... so what's the point.

Your point is well taken and I happen to agree with you. Almost. Christopher Nolan's Batman reboot has arguably given us the three best action/superhero films ever made. You are truly missing three absolutely sensational films.

Christopher Nolan's Batman reboot has arguably given us the three best action/superhero films ever made. You are truly missing three absolutely sensational films.
Perhaps I am. Maybe I'll wait another 5 years and see if there's a Batman 4 ... or if they decide to reboot or recast it yet again. And is it really that good? The trend for years has been too much action, and not enough plot, characterization, dialogue. Now, both the last Superman film and the series of 3 Spiderman movies seemed to still manage a watchable movie. Are they really watchable, well-rounded movies, or have they just notched up the Action to the overkill point.

Perhaps I am. Maybe I'll wait another 5 years and see if there's a Batman 4 ... or if they decide to reboot or recast it yet again. And is it really that good? The trend for years has been too much action, and not enough plot, characterization, dialogue. Now, both the last Superman film and the series of 3 Spiderman movies seemed to still manage a watchable movie. Are they really watchable, well-rounded movies, or have they just notched up the Action to the overkill point.

"The Dark Knight Rises" is both Christopher Nolan & Christian Bale's last Batman film, they only committed to three films and neither is the type to go on make another for huge cash so it's a done deal.
When your in the mood one night and open to it, give it a try and rent "Batman Begins" (they really should be seen in order). Nolan carefully unravels the story of Bruce Wayne from childhood to how and why he becomes the batman in adulthood. The story is very compelling, the direction is top notch, it's well written, a technical marvel and the performances are excellent. Most importantly the material is treated respectfully and it takes itself very seriously. If you like it, move onto "The Dark Knight" which features more terrific film making and the late, great Heath Ledger as "The Joker", one of the great performances of the decade. Finally, if you like them see "Dark Knight Rises" on the Scotiabank's IMAX screen and prepare to be blown away by not only another great film, but by over an hour of footage shot using real IMAX cameras and projected on IMAX film utilizing the entire screen. Quite possibly the last film we may ever see this way.
These are no Spiderman or Transformers films (nothing against Spiderman or Transformers), Nolan's Batman trio is in a league of it's own.

Back