News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 683     0 

Movie Theatres in Toronto - Old and New

There's also one on mout pleasent just south of Eglinton as well

There's the Mt. Pleasant Theatre (south of Soudan Ave) and the Regent Theatre (just north of Belsize Dr) on Mt. Pleasant. Both still show movies. Both are great.

The Regent is especially good to see a movie in, so is the Royal on College west. They both have a big screens but not insanely huge, excellent 35MM (70MM capability at the Regent), digital projection and dynamite sound. They also use the cinemas as film sound mixing studios for feature films & TV shows so the sound & projection has to be top notch for the audio engineers. Unfortunately the Regent isn't the easiest place to get to but if you make the trek it's worth it.

You're right DT. Getting into the Imperial 6 was never a problem. At 15 I looked like a 10 year old. But they always let me in. No questions asked. Thus it was my " go to " theater as a teenager.

It has to be listed as one of the ugliest movie theaters in the history of the world. The space age silver paint. The large modern art holes that dotted the facade. The box office was placed on grim angle you walked up toward, as though climbing a small hill. It had the same design properties as an abattoir, making film goers feel -- or at least behave -- like cattle.

I also frequented the 99 Cent Roxy.

I loved the 36 hour, long weekend, movie marathons. Simply amazing.

A thick haze of marijuana smoke filled the theater eventually becoming a dense fog. Bottles were hurled at the screen and smashed on the floor. Horribly intoxicated teenagers staggered in and out of the darkness often vomiting in the aisles or in someone's lap as they made their way to a dilapidated seat; a spring or two often exposed and ready to plunge into your buttocks.

The crowed lobby was a sea of humanity: movie goers buying or simply stealing bottled sodas, candy bars and popcorn. The staff at the concession were simply overwhelmed. The washrooms were as horrifying as anything you'd see in a third world country, yet rife with all manner of carnality.

80% of the movies I saw at the Roxy were restricted. And I was never carded once. It was Nirvana for city kids or " townies " as we were called then.

When I think back to those years at the 99 Cent Roxy - 1972 - 1977 - it seems like a dream, or a story from a fantasy novel.

We had no idea what a dark cold space the future would become.

Last edited:
You're right DT. Getting into the Imperial 6 was never a problem. At 15 I looked like a 10 year old. But they always let me in. No questions asked. Thus it was my " go to " theater as a teenager.

The same as me, I looked much younger in my teenage years than my age but only ever had the occasional problem, of course the University and I seem to recall a couple of other problems but never any other of the downtown theatres, mostly east end cinemas where I lived like the Golden Mile or Cedarbrae. The Imperial was pretty ugly but at least the lobby and a couple of the cinemas (cinema #1 & 2) still had much of the original auditorium architecture intact, despite the garish colours painted over top. I had hundreds of 8 X 10 professional photographed pictures of all the downtown and uptown cinemas before and after various renovations over the years/decades - most in colour, but I lost them all in a locker flood about a year and a half ago. Heartbreaking, and irreplaceable - I knew I should have scanned them all but I never seemed to have the time.

I missed the 99¢ Roxy days, I discovered the Roxy around '78 when I first attended Rocky Horror. Whether it was Rocky Horror, their rock movie nights, John Waters nights, triple bill Sunday's or even screenings of cult fav's like Harold & Maude, Chainsaw Massacre or Andy Warhol films - the air was always clouded with cigarette and pot smoke through until about '86/'87 when it closed for reno's & Festival Cinemas took it over for a short period. They had a strict "no smoking" (no fun) policy, I went only once and saw one of my favorate films of the time there, Blue Velvet, and it was so strange. They brought the men's bathroom downstairs into the 20th century, ushers vigilantly patrolled the cinema with flashlights plus the lobby and seats were refurbished. The fun was gone.

Good memories.

The bacchanalia of the 99¢ Roxy may summarize some of what made the 1970’s such a liberated decade. Despite the stupefying oppression of Toronto’s draconian liquor and blue laws, various contrabands and restrictions, in a strange way, there was more personal freedom back then.

Perhaps the authorities were too busy enforcing the myriad liquor and blue laws elsewhere in the city to care much about 400 teenagers getting completely annihilated on hidden bottles of room temperature Black Tower Wine, vodka and marijuana cigarettes, while watching Pink Flamingos or Gimme Shelter.

99¢ Roxy footnote.

One summer, some one who lived across the street from the Roxy, would set up speakers in the window of his apartment. And he/she would blast music at the people online outside waiting to buy a ticket. Everyone seemed to appreciate it. But it only happened on sunny summer evenings. And maybe for just one season.

Whoever he was, he liked Neil Young, CSNY, Alice Cooper, Elton John -- especially Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -- and early Steely Dan.

This was inevitable but I never would have expected it to happen so soon. I'll miss 35MM film but I've got to admit, digital looks and sounds so much better. I hope that whatever equipment they purchase are 4K or 4K upgradable. It will be interesting to see what the indie cinemas do in the next couple of years.

Cineplex is very quick, Scotiabank Theatre already converted to digital except the Imax.

Does anyone remember the Willow Theatre? It was on Yonge Street north of Sheppard.

I remember riding my bike there as a kid with a dozen of my friends and cousins to see "Close Encounters of The Third Kind".

I could only find one Photo of it on the web along with this picture. It doesn't look the least bit familiar anymore.

willowShow.jpeg

Willow%20Theatre,%20Willowdale.jpg

Cineplex is very quick, Scotiabank Theatre already converted to digital except the Imax.

IMAX is also being converted to digital this year (this summer I think) at Cineplex & Empire plus Cineplex is adding a few more IMAX screens. Too bad, IMAX digital isn't quite there yet.

Anyone been to the new Humber yet? I'm waiting for a movie I'll actually enjoy to show there (Fast Five is playing now).

I live right near where the Odeon on Carlton used to be. Since I first saw a picture of it a couple years ago, I've developed a bit of a fascination with it. I can't believe it was torn down for The Maples apartments - a thoroughly drear building.
It's a deco stunner. I love the overt sculptural form of the outside. The screen inside is a tad smaller than one might expect compared to the size of the auditorium, but if the theatre was around today, that could have been easily remedied.

What a beauty:

odeon6.jpg

odeon5.jpg

odeon4.jpg

odeon3.jpg

odeon2.jpg

My favourite theatre in Toronto, in retrospect, was probably the Uptown. It was one of the only large one left downtown in the last fifteen years that I've been here. Despite it obviously having had a floor inserted where only the balcony used to be, the main auditorium there was still a sensational place to see a film. The screen was huge, the sound was massive, deep and enveloping (and loud!), and there wasn't a bad seat in the house. The pervasive homey odour of years of popcorn and use didn't hurt a bit either. It was unpretentious, relaxed, and great. The last big film I remember seeing there was "The Matrix" which was a real event on a screen that size.
Again, it put a bad taste in one's mouth when they tore it down for dishonest reasons - claiming it would cost too much to put in wheelchair access, and besides, it was structurally weak, etc., etc. When it collapsed due to the faulty demolition and killed that person - it was as if it went out fighting. As glad as I am to not see a parking lot there, whenever I see the condo's name that replaced it, I miss the place.

My favourite theatre growing up was The Tivoli in Hamilton, which was the 'big city' to us rural folks, and relatively close. It was a good old movie palace, with every kids favourite - coloured lights on red drapes that pulled back to reveal the screen, mock-roman statues in niches, and an eggshell blue-and gold decorated ceiling. Seeing "The Empire Strikes Back", "Return Of The Jedi" and "The Black Hole" there were real events. The Uptown had a lot of the same atmosphere to it.

Curiously enough, the one experience I ever had at the Eaton Centre's long-defunct cinemas as a good one. I was on a trip into the city from my small hometown, and since everything was pretty dazzling and amazing, going down the multitude of ramps and hallways to find the tiny theatre that was showing "Back To The Future" felt like futuristic fun. We went straight from the theatre to Lime Ricky's in the old, metallic Eaton Centre and it all seemed great.
The theatre, I remember, had a good picture and sound, but maybe it had been upgraded in those later years. Friends of mine who went earlier than I did have nothing but bad memories of the place. No fun, no projectionist (!?) and no good quality.

I wish I could have seen the Mies Van Der Rohe theatre under the Toronto-Dominion Centre. I have a friend who saw "2001 - A Space Odyssey" there, and he said when he walked out of the theatre afterwards into the Centre, it was an overwhelming experience.

miescinema.jpg

miescinema2.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of the former theatre at the TD Centre, does anyone know, specifically, where it was located and what's occupying that space now?

I live right near where the Odeon on Carlton used to be. Since I first saw a picture of it a couple years ago, I've developed a bit of a fascination with it. I can't believe it was torn down for The Maples apartments - a thoroughly drear building.

My family all went to see "The Poseidon Adventure" in 70MM there when I was a kid, it was even more fabulous inside than out (not that I remember a lot of detail from when I was that age) but it was colossal in there and it seemed one could get lost on most any level. The screen was very big, the small one shown in that photo is probably from when it opened in the late '40's before Cinemascope was developed.
The Tivoli was a beautiful cinema with really good sound but the screen wasn't that big, I saw "The Untouchables" there. Hamilton's Tivoli was the equivalent of Toronto's University Cinema from the mid-70's to the late 80's when both were shuttered. They both played the big 70MM blockbuster films.
Fun facts: The Odeon Carlton cinema was so well built that when it was torn down the demolition company went bankrupt. A fellow I worked with said that the Carlton had Cinerama in there back in the 60's which had a super-wide, deeply curved screen using three, 35MM projectors synched together to make the vista wide, large and clear. The Odeon Toronto (as it was named when it opened until it changed to Odeon Carlton in the late 1950's) was declared "The Showplace of the Dominion" - now used in the ads for The Humber and the Kingsway cinemas (!). The Odeon Carlton had an organist who played during intermissions until showtime, then descended on a motorized platform into an orchestra pit. It had over 2,000 seats.

Speaking of the former theatre at the TD Centre, does anyone know, specifically, where it was located and what's occupying that space now?

I remember when 2001 played there, it was re-released in two or three Toronto cinemas in 70MM around 1976-77. I recall the newspaper ads bragging about how many speakers each cinema had. I know I saw "The Turning Point" there, I can't remember what else. Sadly nothing about being there stands out yet when I look at the photos you post the romanticism of cinemas past comes flowing back. About two years ago I wandered around the TD Centre at night confident that I could figure out where the cinema might have been but couldn't determine it. I read some years ago that the cinema area is a storage space, presumably the lobby is retail... but where!?

Curiously enough, the one experience I ever had at the Eaton Centre's long-defunct cinemas as a good one. I was on a trip into the city from my small hometown, and since everything was pretty dazzling and amazing, going down the multitude of ramps and hallways to find the tiny theatre that was showing "Back To The Future" felt like futuristic fun. We went straight from the theatre to Lime Ricky's in the old, metallic Eaton Centre and it all seemed great.
The theatre, I remember, had a good picture and sound, but maybe it had been upgraded in those later years. Friends of mine who went earlier than I did have nothing but bad memories of the place. No fun, no projectionist (!?) and no good quality.

I've worked in movie cinemas since my late teens, unfortunately I didn't escape 11 months of working at the Eaton Centre Cineplex in 1985. The cinema was not a whole lot of fun to work at, probably less so to watch a movie in. The auditorium where you saw Back to the Future was cinema #5. About a year before I got transferred there they took four cinemas, reconfigured the ground floor and upper lobbies and created one 420 seat cinema with a small balcony, a good sized screen and installed the only Dolby stereo sound system in the complex at that time.
Eaton Centre Cineplex opened as 18 cinemas around 1979 and made the Guinness Book of World Records as being the largest cinema complex in the world. The original intention was to run foreign, independent, Canadian and second run films in compact cinemas with 16MM projection. The complex was expanded in the early 1980's to 21 cinemas when an opportunity came up to lease a vacant restaurant space in the lower mall so three more cinemas were added down there to make it 21 screens. It was reduced down to 17 cinemas when the #5 cinema was built, about 1984. The complex did indeed have trained, IATSE Union Projectionists, three of them on any given shift that were each assigned their own five or six cinemas to operate. The projection equipment (which was all converted over to 35MM by 1982/1983) was crap, it really wasn't their fault what appeared on the screen. Many cinemas remained "rear projection" to the end. In these "rear projection" cinemas a projector was placed in a small room behind a reflective glass screen where the image bounced off a series of large mirrors (this is true) and finally onto the back of the screen. I think there were 2 original cinemas that had "normal" projection along with the large cinema #5 and the three new one's downstairs, cinemas #15, 16 & 17.

Back