News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.8K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 692     1 

MoveOntario 2020: GO Transit Electrification

J'ai un question.

Is the Georgetown line going to be rerouted to be closer to Pearson? From what Google can tell me, Malton station isn't actually that close to the airport, and no part of the Georgetown line is reasonably close either. I think the cost of rerouting the line (which would probably require some tunneling) would more than pay for itself in the usefulness of a station right next to (or even under) Pearson.

Or does it only make sense to me?

J'ai un question.

Is the Georgetown line going to be rerouted to be closer to Pearson? From what Google can tell me, Malton station isn't actually that close to the airport, and no part of the Georgetown line is reasonably close either. I think the cost of rerouting the line (which would probably require some tunneling) would more than pay for itself in the usefulness of a station right next to (or even under) Pearson.

Or does it only make sense to me?

They are going to build a spur along the 427 and 409 into Terminal 1. There's lots of into in the Blue 22 thread and online.

I asked this question on Steve Munro's site and didn't really get a great answer. Does anyone know if GO/Metrolinx is prepared to submit an order for electric vehicles in anticipation of the completion of the electrification project. That way the infrastructure (specifically the electricity) doesn't sit under/un used while GO decides when it's ready to buy electric (or more likely dual mode) trainsets?

The ARL will only be a fraction of the total traffic that is planned for the corridor. If GO is ramping up service there while still running diesels there won't be much impact in pollution reduction.

It will take a while to install any type of electrification system. Not only will catenary have to be built and the wires strung, but the rail yards will have to be built, maintenance facilities established, and hydro substations constructed. After that there is usually a testing phase as well.

Any gap between the power system coming online and locomotives/rolling stock delivered should be pretty minimal.

There's still a gap from time the order is placed to delivery of product, anywhere from 6 months to a year +. I think that GO's commitment to have an order for stock ready or in process should be part of this evaluation as well.

Nice to see "Expansion of the Hunter Street Tunnel to allow more frequent service to Hamilton." by 2015 on all options. Sweet!

Interesting that they looked at just using an electric locomotive. Taking advantage of the existing bilevels makes sense. Replace them gradually.

With all the service expansions they are proposing it will be easy enough to buy all new EMUs to run Lakeshore and distribute the surplus bi-levels to the other lines.

^^ That's true. It'd make a lot of sense, as they can go the fastest and are pretty easy to maintain. Eventually they could just phase the Bi-Levels out, or keep them only for long-haul or high demand commuter routes. I'm hoping that they'll switch to newer, lighter bi-level cars for high-traffic routes, like the future Lakeshore Lines. They could use cars similar to the RER's Bi-Level EMUs.

One of the contributors to Steve Munro's blog gave a detailed explanation as to why EMUs are better than electric locomotives. I am fairly sure that any engineer at GO or Metrolinx will reach the same conclusion when the time comes. I trust that the BCA was not specific because it was supposed to be just an order of magnitude type of estimate. When the time comes, I think we'll see EMUs in service.

Electric locomotives are a quick fix, no secret. They'll use them until the money is there to start replacing bilevels with EMUs. GO and VIA should work together on the purchase of electrics; when GO's done with them, they can sign them over to VIA for a pre-arranged sum.

Back