2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 564     0 

motion passed in Legislature to disentangle GO from Blue 22

Prometheus The Supremo

►Member №41+⅜◄
Member Bio
Reaction score
hopefully this means they can go ahead with the GO expansion....

York South-Weston MPP Paul Ferreira gets motion passed in Legislature to disentangle GO from Blue 22!

On May 17, MPP Paul Ferreira introduced the following motion in the Provincial legislature.

Mr. Paul Ferreira (York South–Weston): I move that, in the opinion of this House, the

government of Ontario should, on a priority basis:

Increase access to public GO Transit service to all communities served by the

Georgetown south rail corridor;

Revive the previous GO Transit expansion environmental assessment requiring only one

additional track to expand GO service on the Georgetown south rail corridor; and

Separate all GO Transit aspects of the current Georgetown south rail corridor

environmental assessment from all aspects of the private, high-speed, air-rail link Blue22

environmental assessment.

The Motion PASSED!

Now that the legislature itself has endorsed the effective cancellation of provincial support for Blue 22, what remains is for the Minister of Transportation to tell GO Transit to re-submit the original 1994 Environmental Assessment (EA) for review, and formally withdraw the Blue 22 plans. That Environmental Assessment was to provide all-day service along this corridor, and did not require the extra set of tracks for Blue 22, nor the closing of roads in Weston and elsewhere, nor the twinning of the Humber River bridge, and other structures. It was a sensible, less costly solution which would give the residents of Brampton and Bramalea all day access to Toronto, with stops along the way. It also included ADDING a stop at Eglinton, without the threatened closure of the Weston station. So our train could connect with the proposed Eglinton Light Rail Transit and we wouldn’t lose here in Weston, as current GO executives have threatened. If the government actually acts on this motion of the legislature, it will mean that your voices and votes have counted for something.

Meanwhile, we have yet to receive a reply from the Minister of Transportation about our discovery that those running the Environmental Assessment were apparently less than forthright with us about their EA process. We had been told, in no uncertain terms, including in a written submission to the Ministry of the Environment, that GO Transit did NOT prepare a draft Terms of Reference prior to their third meeting with us in June of 2006. This left us with the impression that the consultation was meaningful, and would have some impact on the design of the Terms of Reference.

However, we discovered, when we got access to the file in the Ministry offices, that a draft very similar to the final had been prepared in February of 2006, and was being discussed with the Ministry long before the consultative process actually started. There has been no explanation. We requested of the Minister of the Environment that a mediator be appointed to deal with this conflict, but there is no indication in their reply that they have even considered our request. We again requested participant funding from the Minister of Transportation but again we have no reply and have still no reply to our similar request from December of 2006.

Depending on how seriously the Minister of the Environment takes our submissions on the content of the Terms of Reference, nothing of substance in the final drafting of the Terms of Reference may turn on the discovery that they hid a draft from us. However, it calls into serious doubt the integrity of the public consultation. In other words can we trust what they tell us? When they say ‘trust us, all options will be studied’ can we believe them? When they say ‘trust us, we aren’t deliberately aiming the study at Weston’ can we count on their word? We hope at least that the Minister of Transportation is taking the matter very seriously.

We on the Weston Community Coalition have and will continue to pursue the governments until we are certain that the threats to our community and to public transit systems are over.

A copy of the full transcript of the debate on Mr. Ferreira’s motion in the Legislature, as well as our letter to the Ministers of Transportation and Environment, and the MOE reply are on the website. In addition we have updated the address list should you wish to write or phone the various politicians to encourage them to act on the motion. That list is also on the website: www.westoncommunitycoalition.ca .

Mike Sullivan

Chair

Weston Community Coalition

i wonder what kind of frequencies we're looking at for GO?

there is going to be an extra station at eglinton. one at st. clair to connect with the LRT would be nice too and i know i'm dreaming here but one at queen street would be nice. since they're fixing the jog, it wouldn't be a bad time to rough in the bones of a station.

they can run some express trains during rush hour to bypass all the extra stops for the commuters (IE, the trains that run now) but during the rest of the day they can run trains that stop at all the proposed (by me) stops.

Good news! That almost made my day!

Clearly, Blue 22 is losing most of the support it had - and it probably had to take the election of a Dipper to get it done. No for the useless Alan Tonks to go... (Too bad Finley couldn't take this seat).

so they're gonna use the old 1993-94 EA? how soon can the project start?

If there was a 1993-1994 EA, it probably means only hourly service to Mount Pleasant station. They would probably still have to double track more parts of the Weston Sub, but they would be able to get away with some single-track sections, particuarly on the Humber Bridge. If you notice, at the far south end of Weston station, there looks like a second track was roughed in, based oupon the wedge-shape of the end of the platform before the Lawrence Bridge.

I think there should be provision for at least half-hourly all day service, with the use of other equipment (DMU, like those made by Colorado Railcar) for off-peak service.

Wow. Uh, fantastic news. Rather than getting the underpasses and four tracks that would be necessary for S-Bahn level GO service decades before we ever would otherwise, and at little cost to the government, we're getting one extra track with no grade separation that will allow hourly service at best. What a great day for transit!

You don't need four tracks for S-Bahn level service. Much of the infrastructure, such as the four-track West Toronto underpass and the Old Weston Road grade separation are already underway.

Two tracks should be more than enough for 20 minute service, and a third might be needed in places, but Blue 22 such a boondoggle, I still welcome this news.

I should also point out the all-but-dead Blue 22 plans have also blocked other plans, such as the most crucial portion of Railpath - at least these other uses, which wouldn't have much impact on any expansion, given that the corridor is so wide, may have a chance to go ahead.

Wow. Uh, fantastic news. Rather than getting the underpasses and four tracks that would be necessary for S-Bahn level GO service decades before we ever would otherwise, and at little cost to the government, we're getting one extra track with no grade separation that will allow hourly service at best. What a great day for transit!

An extra track would allow for much better service than that. Even most of the Lakeshore lines do not have an extra track yet.

They would probably still have to double track more parts of the Weston Sub, but they would be able to get away with some single-track sections, particuarly on the Humber Bridge. If you notice, at the far south end of Weston station, there looks like a second track was roughed in, based oupon the wedge-shape of the end of the platform before the Lawrence Bridge.

there used to be a track there at lawrence, there were lots of spare tacks between church street and lawrence and at one point and they ripped them out. there was even a track that connected the CP tracks with the CN tracks.

the lawrence CN bridge can support 2 tracks and i even think the eglinton bridge can support 2 tracks and the black creek drive bridge has wide supports to add another deck but the bleck creek actual creek bridge doesn't.

1.4KM from the weston golf course to just south of church street is gonna be a challenge. of course, they can reposition the track and squeeze 2 in from church up to weston road bridge. i wonder if it is possible to share 400m of track from weston bridge to golf course? if they twin the weston road bridge, they would only have to share 200m of humber bridge.

I am glad to see Blue 22 failing, as it should. But I am with unimaginative that this will not amount to much in terms of transit service upgrades in the near future.

That being said with Blue 22 now out of the picture I have a few suspicions which I am working on confirming that much bigger plans are going to go start going ahead and that something substantial could be on the way.

That being said with Blue 22 now out of the picture I have a few suspicions which I am working on confirming that much bigger plans are going to go start going ahead and that something substantial could be on the way.

what do you think?

Back