News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 619     1 

Most over-used words 2008, arrgh!

That's of your opinion, but a film is a movie, and a movie is a film.
I didn't say there is anything wrong, I just stated it's an overused word of 2008.

No, they are not the same. Film is of a higher quality, that is why it is The Toronto International FILM Festival, The Cannes FILM Festival, the Sundance FILM Festival. Movies are what you go to see at those dreadful Silver City & AMC places where mediocre talents like Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler hold court, film is what you see at Carlton Cineplex and Cinema is what you see at Cinematheque Ontario. It's merely a matter of grading, like eggs or tennis players. Movies implies something which is not intellectually or artistically fulfilling but just something to kill time watching while you eat your popcorn.

The most overused word of period around the turn of the century had to be "extreme" - and that qualifier's misuse and overuse has a legacy - Extreme Fitness, Extreme Pita, etc, and I am glad that is slowly falling out of favour. I am sure "Maverick" has fallen by the wayside recently as well.

Yes, I am tired of "perfect storm" as well. All because of a movie.

No, they are not the same. Film is of a higher quality, that is why it is The Toronto International FILM Festival, The Cannes FILM Festival, the Sundance FILM Festival. Movies are what you go to see at those dreadful Silver City & AMC places where mediocre talents like Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler hold court, film is what you see at Carlton Cineplex and Cinema is what you see at Cinematheque Ontario. It's merely a matter of grading, like eggs or tennis players. Movies implies something which is not intellectually or artistically fulfilling but just something to kill time watching while you eat your popcorn.
I completely disagree with you. For example, in the UK, they refer to all motion pictures as films. It seems in North America, there is some snootiness involved with the word film. People seem to think it will make them sound more sophisticated or something.

I say "film" but my father is from England.

Anyways, one expression I can't stand (even though I catch myself using them sometimes) is "a whole nother", instead of saying "a whole other" or whatever the proper phrase would be. Haha.

surely the below words were the most over-used this year:

credit

crunch

crisis

meltdown

??

:)

oh.... and its film in the UK, but you go to a cinema to watch it, theatres are for plays.

Twitter.

Partly thanks to CBC's Susan Orminston's pathetic CBC attempt to look like it was cool and with it. "Oh my, the twitters went up when Jack Layton mentioned 'kitchen tables'. That says a lot. "

cnn gots the twitters too.

oh, and all those commercials for gadgets including some sort of mention of facebook in them. the word facebook was used in commercials way too much.

Back