310     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 977     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Most Dangerous Neighbourhood(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may cause a lot of people to get uneasy or angry but I think there is some truth to it.

When people show racism to the Chinese, Muslims or the South Asian's and etc its out of jealousy. They are getting better jobs and are becoming better off...

When whites or any other racial group shows racism to blacks its for a much more deeper and disturbing reason...

:confused:
Don't worry. Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes.

Yeah, but...

How interesting the Toronto statistics he cites are about "blacks", but the NY statistics are about "Jamaicans".

The blacks in Toronto which are part of the underclass tend to be Jamaican. The point is that an 'underclass' of blacks was already in NYC, so the Jamaicans didn't assume that role.

Personally, I think he has it ass-backwards. The Jamaicans that landed in NYC were already middle class, and stayed middle class. The ones that landed in Toronto were poorer, and stayed poorer (e.g. the poor girl sent at 11 to live with divorced parents, who never provided her with a home. Her son was... charged? killed? in a Jane-Finch melee that made the G&M Focus. She had no education and 7 kids by 5 guys and lived on welfare. How do you break out of that broken a cycle?)

My case in point is my buddy Alex. His Mom & Dad arrived in the '70s to Winnipeg, then moved to Toronto. They were Jamaicans, but married and middle class (teachers.) They made a fine life for themselves and their family in Toronto (Riverdale, in fact.) But... they were educated when they arrived, and didn't feel the need to get support from the immigrant community. I think that's what happened in NYC, too.

Apples & oranges, Mr. Gladwell. Even if they're the same colour.

Changing the subject just a little bit, but had anyone heard that New York City will literally buy one-way tickets to anywhere in the world for homeless people in the city?

They are flown to Paris ($6,332), Orlando ($858.40), Johannesburg ($2,550.70), or most frequently, San Juan ($484.20).

They are not executives on business trips or couples on honeymoons. Rather, all are families who have ended up homeless, and all the plane tickets are courtesy of the city of New York (one-way).

The Bloomberg administration, which has struggled with a seemingly intractable problem of homelessness for years, has paid for more than 550 families to leave the city since 2007, as a way of keeping them out of the expensive shelter system, which costs $36,000 a year per family. All it takes is for a relative elsewhere to agree to take the family in.

This is one of those policies that seems kind of horrible at first, but when you think about it it actually starts to make some kind of sense. Should Toronto try something like this?

^^ It really sounds like they're just trying to force homeless people out of the city, but I totally agree. At second glance, it actually makes a fair bit of sense.

Do they make sure these families have relatives or places to go to once they reach their destination? If so, that could actually be a wonderful system of doing things, especially seeing the cost of a shelter.

yeah but a lot of our homeless seem to be local...

^^ I'd even say during rush hour. The past like 30 times I've taken Go, I've been asked for my ticket once. I'm not really sure how many people evade fares, but I get the feeling there isn't a lot. Maybe it has to do with the large demographic of honest, successful businesspeople, I dunno.

^^ I'd even say during rush hour. The past like 30 times I've taken Go, I've been asked for my ticket once. I'm not really sure how many people evade fares, but I get the feeling there isn't a lot. Maybe it has to do with the large demographic of honest, successful businesspeople, I dunno.

Official statistics provided by GO Transit always said 1%.

I was just joshin' about sending the gutter punks back to Durham. I really don't care where they "live". :)

That actually seems like quite a lot.

Aw, I'm sure that deep down, you really care about all those Pickering and Whitby runaways ;)

I do. I care about a lot of homeless people. I regularly sit down and talk to them. Buy them lunches and coffees. Share smokes and booze. Just talking to them means a lot, seriously.

The Durham kids I just happen to know on a bit more of a personal level than the other homeless. Damn gutter punks. :)

I think St.Jamestown, on this website there must be some info & pics on it, It's the most densely populated and culturally diverse area in Canada ( around 40,000 in a square block ) it's always used as the back shot for a poor neighborhood in movies and music videos, recently it's changed due to higher rent prices, but people who lived there or grew up there like me know its up their with alot of the other neighborhoods mentioned in this thread.

I think St.Jamestown, on this website there must be some info & pics on it, It's the most densely populated and culturally diverse area in Canada ( around 40,000 in a square block ) it's always used as the back shot for a poor neighborhood in movies and music videos, recently it's changed due to higher rent prices, but people who lived there or grew up there like me know its up their with alot of the other neighborhoods mentioned in this thread.

Really? That's definitely one neighbourhood in which I always think to myself: what's with the stereotypes? As in......it might as well be North Pickering in how dangerous it feels.

Been to a lot of rough neighbourhoods around Toronto....grew up in Malton, spent a lot of time in the Eglinton and Dufferin area as well. However I think by far the roughest neighbourhoods in the Toronto area are in Rexdale - Jamestown, Mount Olive, Bergamot projects for sure! Seen a lot of shit happen around these parts, and was lucky to come out of a situation with my head on. Young and stupid...what can I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back