News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 431     0 

Moss Park / Queen & Sherbourne

When the modern finishes up there will be 350 units housing 400+ people that are more affluent than the current neighbourhood. these people will have paid high rents/condo costs and when they leave their building and get on the streets there will have to be businesses to service them. i'm in agreement that the neighbourhood will gentrify rather quickly after that.

The Modern might finally be the kick needed to get a project started at the Kormann House site, which would help some. Ultimately I think something needs to be done with the Meighen centre to drastically improve the block -- it's a terribly designed facility, pushing its users right out onto the sidewalk 24 hours a day.

once the modern is occupied, i think that will be a good gauge to see what the interest is in having more development in the area. in any event i think that the neighbourhood will get better and better. these past number of years must be the low water mark for the neighbourhood.

Eh, I'd say it's been on a slow incline for the past few years. Real estate has been moving on the streets north of Shuter -- and those aren't cheap houses --, and there's been a spillover effect from the redevelopment of Regent Park. The challenge is that it's still a part of the city that's often ignored.

When the modern finishes up there will be 350 units housing 400+ people that are more affluent than the current neighbourhood. these people will have paid high rents/condo costs and when they leave their building and get on the streets there will have to be businesses to service them. i'm in agreement that the neighbourhood will gentrify rather quickly after that.

Again, I hope you're right. However, when you walk out the door of Modern, unless you're going to walk your dog (which will be a very popular activity, assuming pets are allowed in the building), grabbing the Queen streetcar, or going for a skate/tennis game/swim lessons at the pool, you will have two choices: 1. Go north, confront drunks, homeless guys, crack hookers to buy something at the Dollar store. 2. Go south to the Rogue, coffee shops, art gallery on Richmond and continue along Sherbourne to the happening strip of King.

I'm a weekly user (often thrice a week) of Moss Park Arena and occasional user of the pool (not so much now that Jimmy Simpson is back in service.) I'd love to think y'all are right, but I think y'all are talking hope over reality.

Well it won't be long before we see what happens and while i am hopeful for the sake of the neighbourhood, i don't think that it is stretch to see people become more engaged in their surrounding neighbourhood. maybe initially they will avoid queen street, but eventually there has got to be a trickle of money and people to that block.

you can't walk a dog without a latte in hand!

Arcadia Books, at Queen and Sherbourne, has a wonderful selection of art, design and architecture books, in case anyone here hasn't discovered the place. They've been in business for ages. I think their selection is as good as D. E. Lake's, down the road at King Street ... and generally more reasonably priced.

georgefix.jpg

A fixer-upper for sale on George.

I'd imagine that the rightmost of the bunch must be accounted for on a heritage basis...

Stop Methadone Clinic meeting, 13 Oct 2011

So, there may be a methadone clinic opening on the north-east corner of Dundas and Ontario. The landlord and tenant didn't tell the city their plans and tried to sneak this in. People in the neighbourhood are not happy about it, myself included. If you can, please join us.

Meeting Details:

Where:
500 Dundas St E, 1 block E of Parliament, Daniels Presentation Centre
13 Oct 2011 7:00 PM

THIS IS A MATTER OF COMMUNITY SAFETY. The proposed site (corner of Dundas and Ontario) is beside a street car stop, just down the road from a day care, a block from a school, in the midst of a residential neighbourhood. There are already 4 clinics in our area, sufficient to serve the needs of our community; an additional clinic would draw from other neighbourhoods. The police advise that the operator of the clinic has clinics in other cities where loitering and drug dealing occurs outside the clinic which would jeapordize the safety of residents.

Come to the Community Meeting. Tell your neighbours. Bring your ideas and your commitment to stop this proposed clinic at Dundas and Ontario.

Cabbagetown South Residents' Association

This clinic has been doing this all over Downtown - lying to property owners/landlords about what they do then Landlords/property owners freaking out when they get notified by the Police about what the true operations are. This goes beyond just stopping them at this location because they just keep moving around.

My understanding is that the landlord was fully aware of what the tenant's plans were. It would appear they just want the place rented, I'm not sure they care where the money comes from.

Last edited:

Back