News   Jul 25, 2024
 679     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 642     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 493     0 

Moscow bans gay rights parade on Eurovision day

Why is everybody surprised? Given the way their politics have been going, is anyone really surprised that freedoms are being reduced in Russia?

As for gay rights, well they pretty much only exist in Canada and the EU. That's life. I really don't expect the rest of the world to catch up in my life time. Laws aren't enough. It's about culture. And that takes a lot longer to change.

You don't have to travel that far to find this sort of homophobia/discrimination. Jamaica and many of the Caribbean islands are deplorable on this issue. I refuse to visit these places because of it. Then again, ethics go out the window for most Canadians when it comes to getting a tan in January! Shame.

You don't have to travel that far to find this sort of homophobia/discrimination. Jamaica and many of the Caribbean islands are deplorable on this issue. I refuse to visit these places because of it. Then again, ethics go out the window for most Canadians when it comes to getting a tan in January! Shame.

How does someone/groups opposing homosexuality/Gay marriage considered "Unethical" ????

Democracy cannot exist in Russia...

It will be doomed to electing authoritarian dictators for a decade at a time.

How does someone/groups opposing homosexuality/Gay marriage considered "Unethical" ????

I think he meant that Canadians generally support gay marriage, but have no problems going on a vacation to a country that oppresses gays. Hypocritical is a better word. I think most people don't realize Jamaica is like that. I didn't know about it until quite recently.

I don't understand the anger gay people get if someone says they are against gay marriage.

Gay marriage is something the govt and the supreme court agree with and many Canadians do as well.If a person in power says he opposes gay marriage then that is something to get angry about even though he is still allowed to be against it.

However as an individual I can be against it, as being against gay marriage is one of your rights as well. You can criticize me but I am allowed to hold such a belief. Being against Gay marriage is not even close to being homophobic or being hateful against gays.

Of course I am for gay marriage as i have have a "if it does not hurt me, why should I care about it" attitude.

Being against Gay marriage is not even close to being homophobic
Of course it is. You are arguing that a group should be treated different and unequal to other Canadians and not have the same rights and responsibilities because of their sexuality.

How "close" does descrimination have to be before you'd consider it homophobic? Let's see, a baseball bat to the head is, but having different laws based on sexaulity isn't?

Of course it is. You are arguing that a group should be treated different and unequal to other Canadians and not have the same rights and responsibilities because of their sexuality.

How "close" does descrimination have to be before you'd consider it homophobic? Let's see, a baseball bat to the head is, but having different laws based on sexaulity isn't?

The laws aren't different between sexuality. The argument would go that marriage is heterosexual engagement and hence not applicable to homosexual couples.

I don't think many judges would buy that argument anymore, even in Iowa, but it is not by itself discriminatory or homophobic.

Calling someone the N work (if your black) and saying I support gay rights but not the right to marry.

Its not close to comparable and should not be seen the same.

Last edited:
Well that your view but my view is that Every issue is not black and white or yes or no.

Actually, on equality issues it usually is pretty black and white. It's the "grey" that people that don't want to sound like out and out bigots use to defends their beliefs.

How's this sit with you..."I totally believe in civil rights, but blacks should have their own schools as the the white schools are 'our' institutions."

Gay marriage equality is tied to the entire gay rights and homophobia issue in greater society. To say you are against gay marriage, but not homophobic is an oxymoron at best. Downright dishonest is a better way to put it.

You cannot say that you are for gay rights but not for gay marriage.

Equality is equality, either we all have marriage rights or we don't have government sanctioned marriage at all regardless if it is straight or gay. That's equality... And yes, its pretty black and white. Natural rights aren't negotiable, they are either recognized or they are discriminated against by certain groups.

switch the sides around for a sec.. what if only gays were allowed to get married but straights are not allowed and someone were to say "oh, i'm not heterophobic but i don't think straight people should be allowed to get married" now when you're in their shoes, doesn't it seem that something is wrong and unfair?

some may also argue that marriage is a religious thing and use that as a reason why gays shouldn't be allowed to be married but wouldn't that also mean that hetero agnostics and/or atheists shouldn't be allowed to get married because they don't take part in religion? by that logic, you can even go a step further and say two people with different faiths shouldn't be allowed to get married and other faiths shouldn't be allowed to get married because their religion is B.S unlike the true religion you happen to belong to.

i also don't know why the argument is made that if gays are allowed to get married, it is somehow and attack on straight "traditional" marriage and somehow makes straight marriage less meaningful.

alot of things are traditional but it doesn't make those things right. at one time it was traditional not to allow interracial marriage. did allowing interracial marriage make marriage less meaningful? it's not like the supply or demand for gold for christ sakes.

a marriage is just a contractual agreement between two consenting people that affords some legal perks, protections and quite possibly some burdens as well.

Last edited:

Back