News   Jul 12, 2024
 756     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Mosaic (736 Spadina s of Bloor, Greenco/Pinedale/Wycliffe, 20s, Northgrave Architect) COMPLETE

adma:

Which is more than what can ever be said about Mosiac - forgettable and irrevelant. He is right though, it could have been far, far worse.

AoD

Well, to address one flaw in your logic, a lot of architects/designers/developers/city planners with power actually regard that so-called god-awful building with the ugly protruding sign as one of the most important works of our time in Toronto...

Well, to each his own, I guess. To me it's a painful eyesore... and for the longest time I kept wondering, "When are the going to finish it?"

...Oh, it's done.

Glass is going up on the balconies now.... Still looks pretty bad...

DSC02414.jpg

October 18

But at least it's sufficiently hemmed-in by neighbours and buffered by a playing field to do minimum raw visual/urban damage to its surroundings...

There is going to be a new TV show called

When UT Forum Members Attack!

..."Oh my god! How did the City give approval to that?"

............gasp! precast..yikes!!

.."I don't know why this building is trying to be faux-historic..why not create modernist interpetation of its surroundings?"

"Did we get the trajectory of the nuclear missle right?; we need to get it spot on -south-west corner -Bloor & Spadina, over"

"Done!"

Am I the only one who thinks that this building turned out much better in real life then in the original rendering? It has a vaugely deco-ish quality to it. I think it also blocks the view of the far uglier building directly behind it, and its lines seem to compliment the JCC.

I don't mind it.....there are lots worse in the city...

Looks kinda like one of those new mega cruise ships as seen through an extreme anamorphic lens.

mosaic

Am I the only one who thinks that this building turned out much better in real life then in the original rendering? It has a vaugely deco-ish quality to it. I think it also blocks the view of the far uglier building directly behind it, and its lines seem to compliment the JCC.

I agree with you. It has a certain Art Deco/ Stalinist Modern wedding cake boldness that sets it apart from a lot of the condo boxes you see built. I also think it compliments the JCC which a lot of people on this site seem to hate but which I think has a certain out there boldness to it. I like them both and think they enliven an otherwise dull stretch of steet.

recently had my first in person view of this building. I like it just fine... has a unique feel to it. And in reference to that slab building directly to the south - is that place even occupied? It looks deserted at street level... plenty of garbage piled up at its base, with several homeless looking people hanging around when I walked by... maybe its not too late to make a slight redirection on that proposed nuke?

Looks kinda like one of those new mega cruise ships as seen through an extreme anamorphic lens.

Great description!

It's funny that while many projects that have a curved side are improved with that normally graceful touch, in this building the massing makes the curve just look like bloating - this building is having a permanent 'heavy day'.

recently had my first in person view of this building. I like it just fine... has a unique feel to it. And in reference to that slab building directly to the south - is that place even occupied? It looks deserted at street level... plenty of garbage piled up at its base, with several homeless looking people hanging around when I walked by... maybe its not too late to make a slight redirection on that proposed nuke?

720 Spadina? It's occupied--and it's another of those perfect (okay, imperfect) examples of an office/residential mix. Various community-service type things (hey, it's the university/Annex nexus around here), and Murray Frum HQ to boot. And that ground-level pub's never seemed that *un*-empty--only "desertion" is because of the in-fluxness of Coffee Time-into-Licks, or just that nobody's ever sought to "urbanize" the 70sness away from the base...

IMO it, and its neighbour, are equally nuke-worthy. Or not.

Back