News   Jul 12, 2024
 804     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 731     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 307     0 

Mosaic (736 Spadina s of Bloor, Greenco/Pinedale/Wycliffe, 20s, Northgrave Architect) COMPLETE

the "mosaic" is the building itself--bits and pieces picked out of a mail order catalogue for DIY types--curvy tower here, fake stone masonry there, etc. So in reality, the neighbourhood shall be known as the "3 stupid sisters" because we have 3 stupid mistakes in a row--the JCC looks like a suburban shed (let's admit it: they blew an enormous opportunity==although the falafel stand beside second cup is so good it almost makes up for it;) , mosaic is a 2-4-1 deal (2 ugly buildings for the price of one!) and the slab--well as I mentioned, slap some white paint on the "shell" and new glass could make it the beauty among the three!

But--it's built; let's sit on the patio of that bar beneath the slab and type-cast the new inhabitants: do they reflect the "mosaic" that is canada or are they all spoiled little students?

Wow what a hideous nightmare! I was expecting a lot more from this project – the potential was certainly there for a nice development.
Indeed I feel the same. Seems too heavy with all the gray.

I actually don't mind the windows. I think it should've been pretty clear even in the rendering that this wasn't going to be any kind of architectural masterpiece.

The location just might be the best of any recent condo though.

My, my. What a busy little building it is - okay, not so little. I'm exhausted just trying to make some sort of sense of it's bits and pieces. Pity a beautiful Victorian had to be scarificed in the process.

...and compounded by the terracotta leaving its deathmask on the N side (has *that* been referenced in the thread?)

...and compounded by the terracotta leaving its deathmask on the N side (has *that* been referenced in the thread?)

Well spotted adma! I had no idea what you were talking about until I took myself over there quick sharpish. Three words came to mind -

wound/salt/rub

It is busy but I don't find that as troubling as the stark contrast between the bottom third of the building and the top 2/3rds. I don't dislike it, but it's something of a disappointment.

Wow, so much loathing for this building.

Here's some more angles as you pass by on Bloor.

mos1.jpg

mos2.jpg

mos3.jpg

mos4.jpg

mos5.jpg

mos6.jpg

mos7.jpg

No more pics of this hideous beast, please! I walked by it today and it hurt my eyes - like staring into the sun. The cheapness, it burns!

I'm probably assuming a lot here, but I like to think there are actual architects, designers, developers and city planners on this site.

So I guess I'm wondering why no one is really discussing at length the surroundings that Mosaic is in. Just around the corner are, I think, some of the most atrocious monstrosities this city has to offer. The unbearable U of T sports centre, the embarrassing U of T library and the god-awful building on the north east corner of Spadina and Harbord (with that ugly protruding sign). Not to mention the wretched buildings on either side of Mosaic.

That said, isn't Mosaic trying to take some of that into account with it's bulky base and heavy top?

Thanks for posting the pix casaguy - looks like you are really enjoying the camera. That last set showing the top of the building from a distance make it look a tad better but once the base gets factored in, I think it becomes a challenge to reconcile all of the elements(well, for me at least).

No more pics of this hideous beast, please! I walked by it today and it hurt my eyes - like staring into the sun. The cheapness, it burns!

Oh, just one more. C'mon! I'm not sure how this is worse than anything else you see surrounding it.

mosback.jpg

I'm probably assuming a lot here, but I like to think there are actual architects, designers, developers and city planners on this site.

So I guess I'm wondering why no one is really discussing at length the surroundings that Mosaic is in. Just around the corner are, I think, some of the most atrocious monstrosities this city has to offer. The unbearable U of T sports centre, the embarrassing U of T library and the god-awful building on the north east corner of Spadina and Harbord (with that ugly protruding sign). Not to mention the wretched buildings on either side of Mosaic.

Well, to address one flaw in your logic, a lot of architects/designers/developers/city planners with power actually regard that so-called god-awful building with the ugly protruding sign as one of the most important works of our time in Toronto...

Back