News   Mar 04, 2021
 2.7K     7 
News   Mar 04, 2021
 985     0 

Moped vs. eBike

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
To make it inclusive and to improve experience for people with disabilities, I don't think a blanket prohibition on fully self-powered mobility devices in bike lanes is necessary. We want to cut down on heavy, fast and noisy vehicles.

Fully-powered without pedal assist in bike lanes is fine for this:

and not for this

In the Netherlands, these vehicles are allowed to use cycle paths if you have a disability:

We want to cut down on heavy, fast and noisy vehicles.

Exactly my point.

Which is why the only restrictions should be on weight, noise, emissions and speed.

It shouldn't matter whether the vehicle has a throttle or pedals, just if it's not too heavy, fast, noisy and doesn't pollute.

It sounds to me like you just don't like the scooter people in Toronto

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Exactly my point.

Which is why the only restrictions should be on weight, noise, emissions and speed.

It shouldn't matter whether the vehicle has a throttle or pedals, just if it's not too heavy, fast, noisy and doesn't pollute.

It sounds to me like you just don't like the scooter people in Toronto
Are you suggesting enforcing operating speed limits, or maximums? I don't think throttle-only operation should be possible above 25 kph. Partly this is to keep users safe. There has been an increase in cycling injuries in NL as older people have adopted ebikes and started travelling a bit too fast for conditions and their skill level/reaction speed.

You can't limit the speed of pedal power, and I don't support cycling speed limits (though people should use common sense and not try to race through a crowd).

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
To make it inclusive and to improve experience for people with disabilities, I don't think a blanket prohibition on fully self-powered mobility devices in bike lanes is necessary. We want to cut down on heavy, fast and noisy vehicles.

and not for this

In the Netherlands, these vehicles are allowed to use cycle paths if you have a disability:

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score

and not for this

In the Netherlands you can ride a full on gas powered Vespa in the bike paths provided you stay below a certain speed.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think they're working on banning them from bike lanes. Apparently already banned in Amsterdam (as of 2019).
Thanks. I was there in 2018 exhibiting at the https://www.plmainternational.com/ show and rented a bicycle for a day. I was surprised to see full on Vespas on the designated paths. Here's some vids I took, phone in pocket so please excuse the vertical video (a curse on youtube, imo) and shakiness.

2:29 motorized scooter zips up my left.

Perhaps motorized bikes aren't allowed in the parks, as I didn't encounter any here.

If you've got a motor between your legs this is where you want to be, not on the friggin sidewalk or bike path.

Last edited:

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
Might be a thread for this but can't find it. E-scooters, but the new stand-up variety. Do they belong on the street or the sidewalk?

Here's what makes me question it. Saw a guy on one in the middle lane making a left turn, blocking a streetcar from passing (thus missing the green light). Bike, moped, okay. But a small kick scooter w/ motor? Just go in the crosswalk...or should they? Bit of a conundrum. Street vehicle or sidewalk vehicle?

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Might be a thread for this but can't find it. E-scooters, but the new stand-up variety. Do they belong on the street or the sidewalk?

Here's what makes me question it. Saw a guy on one in the middle lane making a left turn, blocking a streetcar from passing (thus missing the green light). Bike, moped, okay. But a small kick scooter w/ motor? Just go in the crosswalk...or should they? Bit of a conundrum. Street vehicle or sidewalk vehicle?
I think they are banned altogether in Toronto.

In principle, they should be on the street, ideally bike lanes.

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
My favourite is the legislation surrounding electric skateboards.

No electrically propelled device is allowed on sidewalks.

Where there are sidewalks, skateboards are not allowed on the street.

Figure that one out!
They could end up on those very thin concrete curbs between the street and the yard.

They're neither street nor sidewalk.