News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Moose Rail (National Capital Region)

It's not my place to have to explain to you whether decisions are made in the public interest or not. I give my opinion as an individual, a citizen and taxpayer. Regarding Chelsea. The Municipality has done its due diligence in my opinion and has made the decision that the corridor has no viable future as a rail corridor. Rather than waste limited taxpayer money on the maintenance of infrastructure that has no potential use they have made the decision to convert that corridor to a trail. I see no issues in that decision and would support them in that. The City of Ottawa's Certificate of Fitness identifies the operation of the Trillium Line for the purposes of light rail. The designers and architects have chosen to realign the track and build the station at Bayview to best accommodate the Trillium line and integrate it with the Confederation Line. I am comfortable with the decisions that have been made and support the representatives of the City in that decision.

Follow-up Y/N questions:

1. Was it a correct and forward-thinking decision at the time for Ottawa and Hull to dismantle their electric street railway systems?
2. Was it a correct and forward-thinking decision for Gatineau to replace the double-track through its territory with Rapibus and single track?
3. Was it a correct and forward-thinking decision in recent year for Ottawa to replace sections of the transitway with OLRT track?
4. Was it a correct and forward-thinking decision to cut the approach track to the PoWB, just ahead of Ottawa-Gatineau discussion of LRT service across the PoWB?

The only way Y is makes sense in any of these cases is if the goal is to maximize public sector spending over time.

Joseph Potvin
Director General | Directeur général
Moose Consortium (Mobility Ottawa-Outaouais: Systems & Enterprises) | www.letsgomoose.com
Consortium Moose (Mobilité Outaouais-Ottawa: Systèmes & Enterprises) | www.onyvamoose.com

I'm curious. What is your position about the City of Ottawa's long term vision to electrify the Trillium Line. This is necessary in order to expand further South past Bowesville post Phase 2 LRT and into one of the most rapidly growing neighbourhoods of Ottawa. In my opinion this falls well within the City's mandate to operate the line for the purposes of Light Rail, however it would preclude the operation of double decker diesel trains on the line.

MOOSE also is planning for incremental system electrification -- earlier than Ottawa's talking about it. If you're also asking whether the taxpayers and visitor of Ottawa are better served by a transit system that balances whole-region and local interests, or one the serves local interest only, MOOSE is working with the former. Because the taxpayers and visitors of Ottawa have regional mobility requirements.

Joseph Potvin
Moose Consortium (Mobility Ottawa-Outaouais: Systems & Enterprises) | www.letsgomoose.com
Consortium Moose (Mobilité Outaouais-Ottawa: Systèmes & Enterprises) | www.onyvamoose.com

We met with the Mayor of Gatineau a year ago. He's been consistent for years that he wants Gatineau to be more connected to the region. The method is optional.

I didn't know Moose had a slate of candidates! All we hope is that we live in a rules-based democratic system.

Sounds like from the recent quotes by the Mayor of Hull he's more interested in applying for federal funding - like the rest of his peer municipalities - rather than waiting for a private sector entity to try to win at the CTA. It's almost as if he wants to get transit construction started as quickly as possible through methods that are certain and other municipalities used. I for one am shocked.

Exactly. That's why I said "wasn't" in reference to the recent Quebec municipal election.

Follow-up Y/N questions:

1. Was it a correct and forward-thinking decision at the time for Ottawa and Hull to dismantle their electric street railway systems?

And how is that the fault of anyone currently elected? Same question could be asked of other cities. Seems like you're reaching when trying to ask Charles to answer that question. It's irrelevant. It's 2017.

So does MOOSE have funding for its feasibility study yet?

No, but meetings with investors are ongoing. They best part is, they're calling us.

Unfortunately many people have the impression watching programs like Dragon's Den that raising capital is similar to what's portrayed on that show, a sort of one-off sales pitch followed by quick bets. In reality it's not like that at all. I've gone to meetings where the potential investor had a fully scribbled printout of our PPR white paper -- they're looking at the unique revenue mechanism, and they want to discuss scenarios.

I can report that there is a significant market demand for novel ways to finance major infrastructure projects. Nobody (including us) knows yet if the PPR will cut it. Aside from the fact that Canada is not a market that has earned a reputation for risk-tolerance with business model innovation, MOOSE is also a start-up in an industry that has long trended towards concentration of ownership.

Joseph Potvin

I love waiting....for MOOSE. The longer MOOSE has to wait, the further along everybody else gets on Stage 2 and MOOSE becoming more unfeasible and irrelevant by the day. I can't wait for this horrible anti-urban, anti-ratepayer proposal to suffer a well-deserved fate.
While I have a skepticism, I definitely don't think this is anti-urban. It can really appear to be (certain rural stations on GO) but it doesn't have to be.

Historically, commuter rail systems encourages multi-CBD densification instead of just "Los Angles Style" suburban sprawl. Sometime it takes decades (see GO Transit, but it's happening already). To me, even the concept station, MOOSE is far less anti-urban than the Queensway or Highway 50. The business plan depends on good densification around stations, so the business case is anti-sprawl -- even moreso if it's privately funded than subsidized.

That said, I'd de-emphasize the parking lots somewhat and encourage public transit to Moose stations. There are OC Transpo stations that is far more park-n-ridey than the MOOSE concept stations, but the bonus is that parking lots are sometimes eventually replaced by developments as a station gets more urbanized. As long as it is masterplanned.

Even if they fail (or not.) at least they have done an important service of protecting railway corridors that should be utilized into the urban fabric this century

-- even if it is simply keeping them on the table long enough for them to be taken over by an OC Transpo commuter train service in twenty years from now. Or if beyond expectations, like the Little Engine that Could, they succeed doing it themselves.

Profitable private "transit" is rare, but recently, it has been happening. Sometimes you need to team up with the City to make it happen. For example, Portland Aerial Tram did that. Free transfers with public transit, yet funded by waterfront property owners (Property Powered Transit in Portland!) and it has been a success there. That said, it isn't 100% private, and it is a complex arrangement, but not altogether very different from the sphere of possible MOOSE-style funding arrangements that MOOSE is advocating.

So Little Engine That Could, has precedents.

Bring it on. Healthy debate included.

And I'll still advocate for less parking lots, and at minimum medium-density developments around stations (no less than that) or at least masterplanned properly with concept incremental urbanization. And definitely need to make amends eventually with OCTranspo since MOOSE need transit connectivity with them at some stations to de-emphasize the parking-lot factor.

As long as it is urban-friendly.

Last edited:
No, but meetings with investors are ongoing. They best part is, they're calling us.

How aware are these investors of the City of Ottawa's ongoing rollout, procurement, RFP process for the "Stage 2 Rail" and the map below. Are they aware of the realistic picture on what the City of Ottawa is actually moving ahead with between Bayview and Greensboro which is on the red line and purple line on your map? Are they aware of who owns the corridor in this section?

2zJg03e

MOOSEMap

As this blog is GTA-based I'll share here a report on what transpired this morning at the Appleby GO station in Burlington. I write this from a VIA train on my way back to Ottawa from a conference in Toronto.

[I have decided to remove this post. I received feedback that the issue has been discussed by the parties involved, which was my objective. There's no need to leave it on this blog as a permanent record. Should anyone wish to know the details, please contact me directly.]

Joseph Potvin

Last edited:
Can you please send a copy of that to accessibility@metrolinx.com plus also: --> link to your post <-- Copy and paste this link into your email.

Done...

[I have decided to remove this post. I received feedback that the issue has been discussed by the parties involved, which was my objective. There's no need to leave it on this blog as a permanent record. Should anyone wish to know the details, please contact me directly.]

This case provides something useful for root cause analysis... What's required, in my assessment, it to determine the causes of several things that went wrong here, and to address those causes strategically, not with actions against individual staff members.

Joseph Potvin
joseph.potvin@letsgomoose.com
joseph.potvin@onyvamoose.com
Mobile: 819-593-5983

Last edited:
While I have a skepticism, I definitely don't think this is anti-urban. It can really appear to be (certain rural stations on GO) but it doesn't have to be.

Have you lived in Ottawa? Have you looked up the populations of the towns involved? How do you think MOOSE will achieve their plans? They'd need hundreds of thousands of people to locate/relocate to these various towns.

And if you ask Mr. Potvin, his only defence is to suggest that rural areas should have the same access to transit as urban areas. Of course, in this case, his proposal involves two specific anti-urban measures:

1) Taking over the current Trillium corridor or hampering its operation which will limit frequencies for Ottawa residents.
2) Creating a system to facilitate (mostly) ex-urban commuters, with no feeder bus service. The end result would be massive and sprawling exurbs.

If anybody wants to dispute this, show me how MOOSE plans avoid sprawl. I'm all ears.

Profitable private "transit" is rare, but recently, it has been happening.

I don't dispute that private transit is possible. In fact, I would argue that it's ideal. But the problem here is that MOOSE needs to upend regional planning massively to succeed. Would you be happy allowing Mattamy and Great Gulf Homes to dictate where GO Train services should be built and directed?

Healthy debate included.

Can't have healthy debate with a salesman. Mr. Potvin will never, ever disclose the negatives of his proposal, and that's assuming he's ever considered them. And he'll never discuss any setbacks. And I don't blame him. He's here to sell something. Not serve the public.

It's up to us decide if what he's selling makes sense for the public. And as a property owner who pays taxes, I vehemently disagree that his proposal benefits Ottawa in any way. And I also disagree with the suggestion that Manotick should be given the exact same consideration as the City of Ottawa. This is like suggesting that Peterborough should be given the same consideration for transit as the 416. How many Torontonians would be down for that?

Re Potvin's story above, public transit agencies aren't perfect. They make mistakes all the time. However, Potvin's assertion, in my opinion, from his post above that the private sector would automatically be better is laughable. I've had lots of negative customer service experiences with the private sector. I've had some excellent customer service experiences with GO and the TTC.

Lots of fellow passengers step in to help others. I've done it. I don't usually post on Urban Toronto about it.

Just seems like another attempt by Potvin to disparage the public sector operating transit.

By the way, it's now mid-November and still no CTA ruling MOOSE was hoping for to give life to their plans. Meanwhile, the Ottawa City Council endorsed and funded plan continues, including on one of the key north-south routes MOOSE wants to use.

@Allandale25

Exactly. This private sector is always better with customer service is total bullshit. Ask air travelers or Greyhound users how they feel about the service they receive from the private sector. And compare that to the services provided by public rail operators in say Munich or Zurich or Madrid.

Should we ask the doctor who got pummelled by rent-a-goons on a United Express flight about customer service in private sector transport?

Back