News   Apr 19, 2024
 931     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 671     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Montréal Transit Developments

Basically, the author wants REM-B to be turned into a "tram-train" - no idea what that actually means. Probably some version of Eglinton LRT with at grade crossings.

No way CDPQ is going with this approach.
CDPQ president already told, it's the REM or nothing.

Also there's a big possibility of the blue line extension to lose a station. The project is in a major cost cutting process.

Basically, the author wants REM-B to be turned into a "tram-train" - no idea what that actually means. Probably some version of Eglinton LRT with at grade crossings.

No way CDPQ is going with this approach.
....the author is wrong. That's not a tram-train. Tram-trains refer to the operation of light rail from streets onto (usually surface) railway right-of-ways off-street, usually alongside normal heavy rail operations. ION in KW has some tram-train operational elements, when it uses the Elmira spur between Uptown Waterloo and Northfield.

....the author is wrong. That's not a tram-train. Tram-trains refer to the operation of light rail from streets onto (usually surface) railway right-of-ways off-street, usually alongside normal heavy rail operations. ION in KW has some tram-train operational elements, when it uses the Elmira spur between Uptown Waterloo and Northfield.
As does Toronto when the 501 uses the 2.5 km grade-separated right-of-way from Humber Loop to St. Josephs.

So the Toronto term for Tram-train is ... streetcar. :)

As does Toronto when the 501 uses the 2.5 km grade-separated right-of-way from Humber Loop to St. Josephs.

So the Toronto term for Tram-train is ... streetcar. :)
I don't believe that is tram-train, it's just a dedicated ROW. It would be traim-train if the streetcar used the Lakeshore West rail corridor tracks along that route.

I don't believe that is tram-train, it's just a dedicated ROW. It would be traim-train if the streetcar used the Lakeshore West rail corridor tracks along that route.
You are correct, to be classified a tram-train, it has to use currently active mainline rail, even if that activity is relegated to times when the tram train is not in operation.

Using an old abandoned line that was previously mainline rail MIGHT also apply, if the line is currently still connected to an active rail line. Maybe.

Yeah, I think you are correct, even though that ROW is alongside the GO track.

It's a horrid term for local usage though.

Not Montreal, but here's the proposal for the Quebec-Levis tunnel, featuring mysterious underground BRT stations.

carte-rec-1536x949.jpg

Later that same day, Quebec government changes its mind about dropping a station:

Controversy and reversal after talk of dropping station from blue-line metro plans​

While it's unfortunate that the cost of expropriation has risen, would sitting on 1.2 billion worth of land be an opportunity to build things (or sell to developers who would) and make money off the land Hong Kong style?

I mean, if you buy land and build under it, you still have that land's air rights to sell/rent along with construction staging lands. The value doesn't just disappear. 🤔

Last edited:

Back