News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 978     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

It's run to a mutually agreed schedule under the Concession contract.
Quite probably - as I think about it, one doesn't expect lots of people standing on buses mid-day either - but I've seen that in Vancouver enough to know it isn't just a hiccup ... heck, I've seen 99B leaving people behind mid-day as well - and on one occasion wheelchairs!

Last edited:
"The System will deliver a capacity that is 15% greater than the forecast peak demand at the maximum load point (defined as the AM peak leading into the Broadway Station in the northbound direction). "
How do they define capacity? Peak? Crush? The reported capacities of many of the LRTs we've seen here lately, seem to be only achievable if everyone has a baby strapped to there upper torso, much higher than what you actually see when they are already leaving people behind at stops.

If they didn't further define capacity in a passengers per square metre, they could have issues.

Not related to this thread but the tram design for the Quebec City Tramway has been released and I have to say it's quite impressive.

1605927005832.png

1605927023655.png

1605927041975.png

1605927061523.png

Yeah, I don;t know how it is defined - but I would expect it would be in the Concession Agreement.
It certainly should be. But so too should have been a clause about indentured servitude! And the lack of that lead to years of legal action.

Some agencies and government departments don't have a lot of contracting strength. Recall how legally poor some of the early Metrolinx contracts were regarding Bombardier and TTC, where they agreed to all sorts of terms they shouldn't have. The penalties that Metrolinx has paid because of these poor contracts are stunning!

Not related to this thread but the tram design for the Quebec City Tramway has been released and I have to say it's quite impressive.

View attachment 284107

View attachment 284108

View attachment 284109

View attachment 284110
Note that this design was created without any tram manufacturer on board. They state in the article that they hope that winning bidders get 'inspired' by these designs. So I would take these images with a grain of salt.

Edit: I don't mean to be a downer! Tram companies can easily build the designs shown. They don't look far off the Alstom Citadis used in Dublin or Dubai.

Last edited:
Those buffer stops on the front make it look very Thomas the Tank Engine to me. It's hard to picture it as a piece of serious transportation.

Meh

I don't see the difference if you standing in the middle of a New-York style car, or a Canada Line train, and they are crush-loaded and want to get out.

The problem I've noticed in Vancouver, is that they don't seem to run the trains as frequently as you'd expect ... with surprisingly full cars off-peak, rather than running trains more frequently. And at peak, trying to board at the downtown terminus ... gosh. A problem with the BFDOM model without loading specs. If you start diverting from the current model of having full seating off-peak, things start going downhill quickly it would seem.

You realize there are people who get nausea, sitting sideways or backwards? Less so mostly in tunnels - but Ontario Line is going to have long sections outdoors.

Only an issue on the Canada Line

Why? I've had problems getting out in New York, it's been so packed full, and I've not been near the doors.

So why only issue in Vancouver?

You could always write to CDPQi to put in a change order to redesign their Alstom Metropolis with forward facing seating with soft fabric seats, as they clearly haven't done their homework and did not consult everyone urbantoronto. One would think that'd be a better utilization of time and energy than perpetually calling the REM a "cattle car", don't you think?

Note that this design was created without any tram manufacturer on board. They state in the article that they hope that winning bidders get 'inspired' by these designs. So I would take these images with a grain of salt.

Edit: I don't mean to be a downer! Tram companies can easily build the designs shown. They don't look far off the Alstom Citadis used in Dublin or Dubai.
Alstom's Citadis model line seems to have a few designs similar to this. See: Tours, Sydney.

Back